Thread: New York Film Festival 2019 (forum)

Hybrid View

Wild Goose Lake

Coming tomorrow: The Wild Goose Lake 南方车站的聚会 Chinese director Diao Yinan's much anticipated follow-up to his breakthrough noir Black Coal. Jessica Kiang of Variety called it "sumptuously sleazy" but thought it was more style than substance. I thought that with Black Coal, but I can find gorgeous visual style very seductive sometimes. However, my initial prediction here,"From everything I have heard and seen about it I will probably love this new film. . ." may have been overoptimistic.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 09-29-2019 at 06:47 AM.

THE IRISHMAN (Martin Scorsese 2019).

It opened the NYFF Friday night, the official world premiere. I have not seen it yet. It will be Out in theaters November 1 and on Netflix streaming November 27. It is said to be redolent of Scorese's signature gangster movie style and the current review consensus is a rave, Metascore 92%, no less. Scorsese's "next masterpiece," somebody said. "Coldly enthralling, says Variety. I think it will be big fun for everyone who loves Scorsese.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 09-29-2019 at 01:18 PM.

THE WILD GOOSE LAKE 南方车站的聚会 (Diao Yinan 2019).

Found this somehow insufficiently moving in terms of classic noir, but the mise-en-scène, score, sound design, glowing neon, young men in gaudy T shirts, busy rain machine, and snappy action conspire to make this an arty Asian B picture to beat all. And the mostly young Chinese audience in Alice Tully Hall seemed to be enjoying it very much too and make this American premiere of the Cannes Competition film a festive occasion. Current Metascore 72%.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 09-30-2019 at 05:26 PM.

COMING NEXT (probably): SYNONYMS (SYNONYMES) (Nadav Lapid 2019)

This Main Slate NYFF film is the third feature from the Israeli director of Policeman and The Kindergarten Teacher. It's about a young Israeli who rejects his country and goes to France to become French. Ir won the Golden Bear at Berlin and is being distributed by Kino Lorber and it's coming to selected US theaters October 25th.

Tom Mercier in Synonymes
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 10-04-2019 at 08:45 AM.

SYNONYMS/SYNONYMES (Nadav Lapid 2019)

Synonymes is an explosive and theatrically stunning film that is delightful and surprising until it starts to go too far and a certain emptiness appears. Lapid, who's taking off from his own experience doing this same thing, depicts a youthful Israeli (amazing acting school find Tom Mercier) who goes to France wanting to forget or deny where he came from, speak only French, and become French. He loses everything at the outset, and is adopted by a rich young French couple.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 10-10-2019 at 01:36 PM.

OH MERCY!/ROUBAIX, UNE LUMIÈRE (Arnaud Desplechin 2019)

The great French director Arnaud Desplechin returns to his declining hometown of Roubaix on the border with Belgium for a slow-moving police procedural that has no element of mystery other than why he chose this material. The treatment is grand and sumptuous in many ways, with a cast headed by Roschdy Zem, Léa Seydoux and Sara Forestier, and the picture of the town is soaked in atmosphere, but it drags. Better received by French critics (AlloCiné press rating 3.7) than by anglophone ones (Metascore 51%).

FIRST COW (Kelly Reichardt 2019)

Set in 1820 on the Oregon frontier, this is a dreamy, cramped, primitive, sad scene of hostile people scrambling... slowly... to survive. It focuses on a cook and an educated Chinese man who start living together and sell cakes, which turns out to be dangerous. One of Reichardt's tough, minimalist films that held me, even if sometimes it bored me. The hushed, smothering intensity of this situation haunts and lingers.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 07-09-2020 at 04:58 PM.