Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: all time greatest lines from films

anniedoa Guest

all time greatest lines from films

my all time favorite line is "tie me up... chain me to the bed... board up the windows.... just don't let me outa here!!!" does anybody out there know what movie that is from??? i might not have the line exactly right.... but if you're a fan, you'll know!!!
    Last edited by anniedoa; 03-09-2003 at 04:41 PM.

I think I know it, but I can't place it...

My favourite line from a film ever is "I will not tolerate Communist subversion. I will not tolerate Communist infiltration. And I will not tolerate the international Communist conspiracy to sap, weaken and impurify our precious... bodily fluids." Just that little pause at the end there, man, it always makes me laugh.
    Perfume V - he tries, bless him.

anniedoa Guest
    i don't recognize the line... but it sounds great!!! i truly need to see the film that line comes from. hmmmmm. it's possible i already have. the line from my movie comes from wolf man with lon chaney. so great. excellent performance. one of my all time favorite performances.

OK, I don't know it at all. *g*

I really must see it sometime - I'm a horror fan, and firmly believe that anyone with a passing interest in the genre should sit through silent horror, old Universal horror and anything made by Tod Browning - if only because, if fans are more educated about these films, tosh like The Others will stop being so overpraised. Hopefully...

My line was from Dr. Strangelove, incidentally. My all-time favourite until I saw Mulholland Drive.
    Perfume V - he tries, bless him.

anniedoa Guest
    i loved mulholland drive. it's good and dark. i saw it twice. i was reading the comments from everybody, and i didn't think it was really hard to follow... i figured the entire thing was a dream. every bit of it. i could justify this statement if i didnt have to type the whole thing... i saw it the second time to see if "the whole thing is a dream" theory worked. and it did. the second viewing troubled me, because i loved it so much. it was better for me to just see it once. it would have stayed on the top of my list.

A line that always cracks me up is from Cabaret:

"You're about as fatale as an after-dinner mint!"
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Line from "Withnail and I."

"Withnail and I" is a plethora of quotable lines. Some only funny if you see it in the context of the movie. That being said, the greatest line from that movie:

"We want the finest wines available to humanity! We want them here and we want them now!"

-Richard E. Grant (Withnail).

What sells?

Here is my favorite all time line(s):

Sullivan: "I want this to be a document... I want to hold up a mirror to life... I want this (movie) to be a picture of dignity... a true canvass of the suffering of humanity!"

Studio Boss: "... but with a little sex."

Publicity:"How about a nice musical?"

-------------------------------

Not A Line, But A Look

There's no words, no talking except the music, but there's an expression, a look from a car window, a brief scene at the end of "Nomads" that so haunting that it will simmer in my mind forever.

A scene that didn't make it into Blazing Saddles

Mel Brooks said this exchange never made it into the movie:

*in the dark*:

Madeline Kahn: Is it true what they say about black men?

*sound of zipper*

Madeline Kahn: It's twoo! It's twoo!

Cleavon Little: Baby, You're sucking on my arm.
    Last edited by Johann; 10-19-2003 at 05:48 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Revenge of the Nerds

I'm giving the entire dialog away just so you guys can understand what's going on

Gilbert, Lewis, and Booger are getting their food plates at their temporary home in the gym

Gilbert: Hey Lewis, I met a girl today.
    Lewis: Gilbert... That's great!
    Gilbert: Her name's Judy.
    Lewis: Judy's a nice name Gilbert!
    Gilbert: Yeah, she's a nice girl.
    Booger: Big deal! Did you get in her pants?
    Gilbert: She's not that kind of girl, Booger.
    Booger: Why does she have a penis?
    Last edited by pipsorcle; 03-25-2003 at 12:25 AM.

These lines from "Rushmore" stick in my mind:

Bloom (Bill Murray): "What's the secret, Max?"

Max (Jason Schwartzman): "The secret?"

Bloom: "Yeah, you seem to have it pretty well figured out".

Max: "Well, I guess you have to find something you love and do it for the rest of your life. For me, it's going to Rushmore".

And you really wonder if Max fully comprehends that Rushmore is only a high school, from which people graduate and move on.

Katherine Hepburn playing Catherine of Aquataine (?), from "The Lion in Winter" (1968):

"Every family has its ups and downs"

(spoken after King Henry, Peter O'Toole finds out all three of his sons are plotting his over-throw)

The only tie in Academy history that year for Best Actress.

And she's still alive...

Who did she tie with? As my mammy used to say, "Look it up!"

Neither Ms. Hepburn nor Ms. Streisand deserved to win, in my humble. How about Julie Christie in Petulia or Tuesday Weld in Pretty Poison? Ms. Woodward for Rachel, Rachel?

My favorite lines

"The Lion in Winter"-----------------------------------------------------

Prince John: Poor John. Who says poor John? Don't everybody sob at once! My God, if I went up in flames there's not a living soul who'd pee on me to put the fire out!

Prince Richard: Let's strike a flint and see.

"Lawrence of Arabia"----------------------------------------------------

T.E. Lawrence: My friends, we have been foolish. Auda will not come to Aqaba. Not for money...

Auda Abu Tayi: No.

T.E. Lawrence: ...for Feisal...

Auda Abu Tayi: No!

T.E. Lawrence: ...nor to drive away the Turks. He will come... because it is his pleasure.

[Pause]

Auda Abu Tayi: Thy mother mated with a scorpion.

"Seven Samurai:----------------------------------------------------------

Kikuchiyo: What do you think of farmers? You think they're saints? Hah! They're foxy beasts! They say, "We've got no rice, we've no wheat. We've got nothing!" But they have! They have everything! Dig under the floors! Or search the barns! You'll find plenty! Beans, salt, rice, cake! Look in the valleys, they've got hidden warehouses! They pose as saints but are full of lies! If they smell a battle, they hunt the defeated! They're nothing but stingy, greedy, blubbering, foxy, and mean! God damn it all! But then who made them such beasts? You did! You samurai did it! You burn their villages! Destroy their farms! Steal their food! Force them to labour! Take their women! And kill them if they resist! So what should farmers do?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast