Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: all time greatest lines from films

BritishSteel...kudos on the Monty Python quote! Awesome movie...

My favorite quote from that movie...

"Look you stupid bastard, you got no arms left!!!"

As for being hardcore about movies...of course! That's what this site is about. I mean, c'mon...this is a site devoted to movie forums. It stands to reason that a good percentage of the participants are gonna be more into movies than just the average, saw a movie, talk about it at dinner type of conversation.

BritishSteel Guest

Hardcore

Ilker81x wrote "It stands to reason that a good percentage of the participants are gonna be more into movies than just the average, saw a movie, talk about it at dinner type of conversation."

Oh I realize that, but can we not all hug and be friends?

Re: Hardcore

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BritishSteel

Oh I realize that, but can we not all hug and be friends? [QUOTE]

(Speaking for myself)
    I am "hardcore". No doubt, no argument.

But! I am willing to try to "hug" those who are not as dedicated to the art form as I. Just show me something. (i.e. appreciation that i should have caught, obscure info, enthusiasm)

This is why I have great respect for Docraven, Oscar Jubis, Chris Knipp, Cinemabon, et al who not only take perspectives that others do not see, but punch their posts with a confident intelligence that is not found anywhere on the net.
    This is why I love this site, and why I think it will be a major source of "all things movies' in due time.

{We already are, but the world at large doesn't know it yet}
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Um, yeah...I guess.

I just like the site because in my life there's no one to really talk to about the films I see. I don't care if they're "hardcore" or just someone into a day at the theater, I just want to talk. Jeez, this is getting too mushy and Hollywood-ish. Here's another friggin' quote:

"That's what I like about them high school girls, man. I get older...and they stay the same age, hehe."
    Wooderson, from Dazed and Confused.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

From "The ten Commandments", a defeated and devastated Ramses:

"His God...is God."

BritishSteel Guest

Apples

How about Good Will Humping err.. Hunting? (I was getting confused with the other movie in my VCR) ;)

To many other people this movie was stinky, but I liked it, It felt lively but tragic, much like my own utterly confusing life.

The quote I love is when Will (Matt Damon [cue teenage girls screaming]) goes back to the coffee shop/diner or whatever and yells through the window "Do you like apples!? Do you like apples!? [pressing scrap of paper against window] Well I got her number! How do you like those apples!"

Good stuff

Shalom,

Charles

Tribute to Bob Hope

He was the king of one liners, like:

"I'll have a lemonade... in a dirty glass!" from "Road to Utopia"

But my favorite scene is from the same picture when Hope and Crosby are on a dog sled. Hope looks over at a mountain and says:

"Just look at that bread and butter over there!"

"Why that's just a mountain..."

(at which the familiar arch of stars appear over the mountain)

"Well it may be a mountain to you, but it's bread and butter to me!"

Bob, from so many of us who have admired your comic sense of timing in so many films down through the years, we just want to say: Thanks for that memory!

Bob Hope

Amen...R.I.P.

Re: Bob Hope

Originally posted by Ilker81x
    Amen...R.I.P.

I second that motion. While Bob didn't impact me in any giant way, I acknowledge that he is a class act who dedicated his life to entertaining the masses. (Most importantly, to military troops decades over)

I'm sure he's trading barbs with Bing as we speak...

While I don't think I ever saw anything with Mr. Hope in it, I still know of the impact he had on the world. The man truly was a performer, and I know he'll forever be an unforgettable icon.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

For Katherine, as well...

Since we are posthumously sharing tributes... there are so many Katherine Hepburn lines that slay me... however, after watching "Lion in Winter" again the other night, I have a new Kathrine Hepburn favorite:

Holding up a huge, long, golden necklace in front of her mirror, she wistfully says:

"I'd hang you from the nipples, but we don't want to frighten the children, now, do we?"

Sailing on winds across the stars, with sunlight forever on your most beautiful face...

A sad farewell to the charm, wit, and grace...

leaving us alone in this dreadful place...

Renoir's THE SOUTHERNER

Here's another exchange that kills me:

Granny Tucker: "You'll all look down on my cold, dead face in that country pine box. You'll be sorry then, maybe."

Nona Tucker: "You keep on promising, Granny. You don't never deliver the goods."

Willard in the clutches of Kurtz...

Incredible scene from Apocalypse Now:

Kurtz: Are you an assassin?
    Willard: I'm a soldier.
    Kurtz: You're neither. You're an errand boy. Sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.
    What did they tell you?
    Willard: That you had gone insane and that your methods are unsound.
    Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
    Willard: I don't see any method at all, Sir.

Happy Gilmore

this scene is from the old folks nursing home and the caretaker guy is using the old folks as slaves for making money by getting them to sew blankets.

Caretaker: ``come on marty, these are hand made quality sh*t we`re talking about here...200 ok good doing buisness with you``.

turns his cellphone off and turns round and says to the old folks ``ok turn your hearing aid`s up i`ve an announcement to make, we`re extending art`s and crafts by 4 hours today``.

to which an old lady replies ``but my fingers hurt`` and the caretaker guy says ``what was that dear`` she says ``my fingers hurt``.

caretaker: ``well now your back is gonna hurt cause you just pulled landscaping duty, bet that`ll learn you to keep your mouth shut``.
    Those Who Tresspass Against Us...
    Beware The Shadows Of Dusk.

Orson Welles anecdote from Bogdanovich

Here's a story from Peter Bogdanovich, a Welles confidante, about Sir Orson, in which he hailed a cab. It's not a movie scene, but it could have been.

Orson gets into the back of the cab, hands the driver the directions to where he's going, and loudly shouts in a serious voice: AND A GOLD DUBLOON IF YOU GET US THERE BY MIDNIGHT!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast