Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Criterion Collection

Yet more treasure coming soon.

Carlos Saura Flamenco trilogy: (Eclipse Series)
    El Amor Brujo
    Carmen
    Blood Wedding

A "pre-war" Kurosawa box
    and
    An Agnes Varda 4 DVD set

Does it get any better than that?
    Last edited by Johann; 11-01-2007 at 07:14 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Criterion has done an excellent job restoring Georg Wilhem Pabst's THE THREEPENNY OPERA (1931), which includes amazing commentaries by Brecht, Weill and Pabst experts. I consider the film a must-see, but not a masterpiece. It's not that the film is flawed but that its vision is somewhat compromised. Still a very smart and entertaining film that looks a lot better in this restored version than when I watched in the 80s.

CRIA still my favorite domestic dvd release of '07 even though Criterion could have easily put the extras on the same disc as the film and dropped the price by $10.

I still have not catched the Criterion editions of Makavejev's WR: MYSTERIES OF THE ORGANISM or Van Sant's MALA NOCHE.
    Keeping me busy: the three amazing documentary series by BBC agent provocateur and former Oxford political science professor Adam Curtis (copied onto dvd-r off the BBC2 by a British political activist as the films are not on home video anywhere due to rights issues), and 38 Spanish dvds including Naruse, Mizoguchi, and de Oliveira collections.

A lot of people are about to fall in love with the 15-hour German series BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ, which I watched 25 years ago and only remember how great it was.

The Varda box will include two I haven't seen: LA POINTE COURTE and LE BONHEUR.

Dave Kehr describes new Criterion releases of Godard films on DVD (February 26, 2008).

Criterion's edition of High and Low has just been released, July 25, 2008.

In the newsletter today:

Criterion are moving warehouses and they are offering
    40% off EVERYTHING.

My spidey-senses tell me that I should take advantage...

Apologies for not posting this sooner (I've known about it for a while now), but STANLEY KUBRICK'S PATHS OF GLORY is now a Criterion release. I'll be buying it without question.

Ingmar Bergman's The Magician ( a Masterpiece in my humble) is also out now, along with Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited (one I haven't seen).

I'm happy that two old Sam Fuller Criterion titles are getting a new release: Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss- both are mandatory films.

Criterion is always pushing forward, making many cinephiles VERY happy indeed...
    Last edited by Johann; 12-02-2010 at 11:23 AM.

THE MAGICIAN and PATHS OF GLORY are great choices for Criterion.

My choice is the magnificent box of "3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg", which proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Sternberg was Sternberg before Dietrich.The visual essay is the preferred format of film criticism in this digital times, as opposed to the audio commentary or the essay without screen captures. There are two truly insightful visual essays in this Criterion release, and a good interview with the director, but no audio commentaries.

The visual essay is the preferred format of film criticism in this digital times, as opposed to the audio commentary or the essay without screen captures.
    That is certainly true, though they can all still coexist. Now the professor of cinema must master the art of film clip manipulating as professors of art in the Fifties had to master the art of multiple slide projection.

Did you know that Ray Manzarek and Jim Morrison had von Sternberg as a teacher at UCLA?
    True. He taught them to "watch the lighting in my films"
    Ray says in his book "LIGHT MY FIRE: My Life with the Doors" that it was supposed to be Jean Renoir paying the campus a visit to teach, but they got Josef instead. Not bad for a teacher...

and Lars von Trier's AntiChrist is also a new Criterion.

Criterion just keep on forging ahead with glorious releases.

Aki Kaurismaki`s LENINGRAD COWBOYS films have received an Eclipse box set treatment. I saw all of those films at a Kaurismaki retrospective at the Pacific Cinematheque. I love the Leningrad Cowboys. Some people despise them. Some think it`s over-the-top trash.
    I highly disagree.
    The Total Balalaika Show concert with the Soviet Red Army choir is worth the price of the box alone.
    Jim Jarmusch has a cameo in the "Cowboys Go America" film.

Jean Vigo also gets his due, with a COMPLETE box set. Hallelujah!

Polanski`s Cul de Sac and two Seijun Suzuki classics get re-released: Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter.

Check out the Criterion website. It has news of coming soons and new Blu-Ray releases, like Pasolini`s SALO, which arrives next week.

Criterion mentioned in an e-mail newsletter that I got today that Abel Gance's NAPOLEON may be released by them someday.
    I also mentioned it in the Napoleon thread in the Classic Film forum.

Huge news to me.
    Can't wait to see that DVD set on the shelf.

"Pearls from the Czech New Wave" is the newest Eclipse series from Criterion.
    I know Oscar might want that box set...

Link, Johann, link.

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/870...czech-new-wave

Since I don't seem to have seen anything, it might be of interest to me, if I had the time.

I'm lazy today. Links are for suckas. LOL

It's a beautiful box set. On sale too.

Those titles are essential. Thanks for the link.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast