Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Criterion Collection

Netflix has over a million customers. You pay $20 per month. You maintain a list of discs you want to rent. They send your top three choices along with pre-paid return envelopes (they claim shipping each way takes 1-3 days). You can keep discs as long as you want. As soon as they receive each disc you've returned, they send you the next one on your wish list. They claim to carry an inventory of 15,000 titles, all region 1 releases, no imports.

I also prefer local stores. When I cannot find a disc at two stores I rent from, I ask my bro to get it from netflix.

Hmmmm. Sounds pretty damn good.
    Is it worldwide, or USA only?

I like the idea of keeping them as long as required.
    The late fee demon has plagued me often..
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Region #1 only, USA and CANADA.

Netflix is a god send, but it puts a big dent in the retail video stores' business (that's kind of sad). I guess video on demand would have done that anyway. I must admit that I love it!
    P

PS I hear you can have up to 7 dvd's at a time with a new membership!

The Tin Drum

Palm D'or winning film The Tin Drum is released on my birthday (May 14) and will be a 2-disc set- a 2-disc set that is loaded for bear. Check out the special features listings at the Criterion website.

Also, Charade and Fritz Lang's M. have been discontinued but will be re-released later this year in new, vamped-up editions. These are must-see classics. Glad I didn't buy them earlier (or should I say "glad I didn't have the cash"?)

Two versions of The Lower Depths

Criterion is releasing two film versions of Gorky's The Lower Depths in one 2-disc set:
    one by Akira Kurosawa.
    one by Jean Renoir.

Man, the company just keeps outdoing itself....

Also just announced is the release of Pasolini's Mamma Roma

Coming soon

Oscar should be happy: a new box set of Renoir films is on the way! Finally more Renoir-late Renoir.

It's a fine box indeed. It will have The Golden Coach (a film I love because of it's Vivaldi soundtrack), French Can-Can & Elena and her Men. The set has video intros by Renoir himself, Peter Bogdanovich and Martin Scorsese. Not to mention all 3 original trailers, a BBC documentary, an interview with his prod. designer and of course the new sound and picture transfers.

Wondrous news.

Also coming soon:
    Ozu's Early Summer
    Marcel Carne's Port of Shadows

Renoir is my answer to the question: If you had to name one director...
    I'm happy indeed and appreciative of your keeping us informed about upcoming releases. In my mailbox today: Renoir's The Rules of the Game, Bresson's Diary of a Country Priest and Clouzot's Quai des Orfevres.

By the way, I've been wondering whether Anduril and I are the only members who own a multi-zone player. There are some amazing discs released in Europe and Asia that may never come out in North America. Is there any point writing about them?

There's a point in writing about them!

I'll have a world-player in due time. There are BFI Greenaway DVD's that I really want, stuff like Trier's Riget part II and other foreign films that require the machine. No time or money at the moment to go shopping.

Please write a review of The Rules of the Game DVD's- I can't think of anyone who would do it better justice.

Originally posted by Johann
    Please write a review of The Rules of the Game DVD's- I can't think of anyone who would do it better justice.

Thanks for your confidence in me. I've avoided posting about three movies because of fear of failing to do them justice; The Rules of the Game and two directed by Kenji Mizoguchi: Sansho The Bailiff and Ugetsu. I recently watched the latter(again) and jot down a few impressions, but it's a tall, time-consuming task. It's rare for anything to inspire such reverence on me. It's the exhilaration of a perfectly calibrated work of art.

By the sheer density of its accomplishments, my post on RULES will have to be rather lengthy and put together in advance. A lot of what makes it shine amongst masterpieces is in the details. I want to have a clear head. I will catch the end of Kill Bill and that Italian film Howard recommends. I will bring some balance to the Stone thread. Then my focus will be on trying to justify your trust in me.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 05-07-2004 at 01:52 AM.

What?! Justify my trust in you?

No need, dear sir- you are purer than I am. *trust me*

And isn't that Rules DVD a breathtaking sight? The Criterion Collection are saviors. True saviours.

And what a beautiful thing it is, Johann! This Criterion 2-disc forces me to recognize the materialist in me. Pride in ownership that a true-blue bohemian would not experience frequently. Introduction by Renoir himself, flawless transfer, clean sound, expert commentary, side-by-side analysis of its two endings, excerpts of a doc about Renoir directed by Jacques Rivette, a BBC doc, a shitload of interviews, written tributes by Wenders, Paul Schrader, Hoberman, Kent Jones,etc. Depth of pleasure!

Books, CD's and DVD's are a means to an end: art appreciation.

Due to my acute awareness of the possibility of species annihilation (nukes/global warming/magnetic reversal of the poles, etc.), I place very little value on material possesions. I own these mat's because it broadens my knowledge of many things.

I could burn it all in a heartbeat if russian soldiers were marching down the street, taking over my universe. Or if the dollar meant nothing tomorrow (as occured during the depression). I'm prepared for the apocalypse. I have inner peace. I have my life experience memories to guide & console me. I won't weep for the destruction of man. (Because I helped in a way).

Don't get me wrong- I'm one of the most positive guys you'll ever meet. I just know the score baby....

Originally posted by Johann
    Don't get me wrong- I'm one of the most positive guys you'll ever meet.
    Are you being sarcastic?
    http://anduril.ca/movies/

There's a spirituality in films, even if it's not one which can supplant faith
    Martin Scorsese

What do you think?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast