Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE PANDEMIC STREAMING WORLD: Oscilloscope, Kino Lorber, Music Box Films

THE PANDEMIC STREAMING WORLD: Oscilloscope, Kino Lorber, Music Box Films, and more

THE INFLITRATORS

Further Oscilloscope news.

INFILTRATORS release delayed; OSCILLOSCOPE SPECIAL RELEASE; KINO LORBER and MUSIC BOX FILMS streaming arrangement

THE INFLITRATORS, a radical documentary from Oscilloscope with staged elements about Several undocumented youths who deliberately get detained by the Border Patrol to infiltrate a for-profit detention center (directed by : Cristina Ibarra and Alex Rivera) was not released today as planned; it will be released on demand June 2, 2020.

OSCILLOSCOPE also plans an omnibus release to benefit indie filmmakers and entertain whose confined to sheltering at home. The distributor is offering a "Circle of Quarantine" of 10 digital downloads of its films for $49.99, donating $10 from every purchase to the Cinema Worker Solidarity Fund, to help those affected in the business. They're scrapping their theatrical expansion of SAINT FRANCES,, Alex Thompson & Kelly O'Sullivan's comedy about a nanny and a six-year-old.

Circle of Quarantine subscribers can choose any ten of Oscilloscopes from its deep catalog to download digitally for the $49,99 fee.

" OSCILLOSCOPE looks to innovate in ways to reach audiences safely in their homes," their publicity says: "The Circle of Quarantine is an attempt to bridge the social distance."

KINO LORBER and MUSIC BOX FILMS
    are making a different offer. They are releasing their movies to pay per view streaming systems which share the ticket purchase price with the movie theater of your choice. See the new home downloads available for BACURAU, AND THEN WE DANCED, CORPUS CHRISTI, and THE WILD GOOSE LAKE.

An INDIEWIRE article lays out the coolest streaming channels.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-23-2020 at 09:44 AM.

See also the article in VARIETY, "In the Age of Coronavirus, Even Movie Theaters Learn to Love Streaming."

Jennifer Salke at Amazon's Culver Studios. Films that were slated for this year's canceled South by Southwest festival will appear exclusively on Amazon Prime Video for 10 days this spring. Filmmakers who choose to participate will receive a screening fee and could opt in starting Thursday.2 days ago
    Probably this will be in April. See NPR

Vanity Fair has a new article,

All the New 2020 Movies Streaming Early Because of Coronavirus

(This is in today's, April 13, 2020's, issue of the magazine's online "Cocktail Hour." You may have to sign in or sign up to access that page, but it's free.)

These are movies that came out before the coronavirus shutdowns in February or early March, and they were not well reviewed, nor would I recommend them, except for Emma (Metascore 71) or maybe The Way Back, which depicts a struggle with marrige and alcoholism close to its star's, Ben Affleck's actual experience (I have seen Emma but not The Way Back). Call of the Wild, Metascore 47%, hmm, Harrison Ford is fine in it, but they ruined it with the physically improbable sequences and the animatronic dog.

Titles listed, with details, on this page include:
    The Hunt
    Bad Boys for Life
    The Gentleman
    Doolittle
    Birds of Prey
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Call of the Wild
    Onward
    The Way Back
    Bloodshot
    I still Believe
    You may have to look around. Sometimes it comes up that you have to pay $19.99, but others it's $5.99. Keep looking. I'd watch Emma again. It's beautiful, and not a complete mockery of the Jane Austen novel, as its breezy TRAILER would have you think.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-13-2020 at 06:58 PM.

THE INFILTRATORS.

The latest is that The Infiltrators will have a virtual cinema release Fri., May 1, 2020, and cable on demand/digital streaming release Tues., Jun. 2.

Here's the
    TRAILER

FILM FORUM VIRTUAL THEATER RELEASES.

For those interested in meaty new cinema releases outside the mainstream, Film Forum has a lot to offer. Here is their latest press release:
    Film Forum Recent Releases for Home Rental. During the Theater’s Temporary Closing. Rental Fees Support Film Forum. Nearly all of these have been reviewed on Filmleaf.

THE BOOKSELLERS and WHAT SHE SAID: THE ART OF PAULINE KAEL Will Become Available Friday, April 17

Film Forum, New York City’s leading non-profit movie house for independent premieres and classic releases, is partnering with theatrical distributors to present a Virtual Cinema while the theater is temporarily closed. In most cases, this platform is the only way to see these titles. All rental fees support Film Forum.

Starting this Friday, April 17, two entertaining documentaries will become available – D.W. Young's THE BOOKSELLERS (Greenwich Entertainment), which had just opened theatrically in NYC prior to the lockdown order, and Rob Garver's WHAT SHE SAID: THE ART OF PAULINE KAEL (Juno Films). Premieres and re-releases currently available in Film Forum’s virtual cinema:
    Kantemir Balagov’s lauded Russian post-WWII drama BEANPOLE (Kino Lorber)

Yaron Zilberman’s Israeli drama INCITEMENT (Greenwich Entertainment), based on the actual events surrounding the assassination of Yizthak Rabin

A 4K restoration of István Szabó's 1981 Oscar-winner MEPHISTO (Kino Lorber). Recommended. A rich saga.

Jan Komasa’s 2020 Best International Film Oscar nominee CORPUS CHRISTI (Film Movement). Oscar nominee. Recommended.

Ken Loach’s timely drama SORRY WE MISSED YOU (Zeitgeist Films in association with Kino Lorber). Depressing, but. . . It's Ken Loach.

Diao Yinan’s acclaimed Chinese noir THE WILD GOOSE LAKE (Film Movement) (NYFF 2019). Colorful, but not great.

Corneliu Porumboiu’s Romanian crime caper THE WHISTLERS (Magnolia Pictures) (NYFF 2019). Much admired. Did not like.

Luchino Visconti’s lush final film, L’INNOCENTE (Kino Lorber). Not his best, but beautiful. )
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-12-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks Chris for your great contributions to our film culture. You are my source of information about current cinema. You do an excellent job.

Thank you for following my coverage. I hope you also consult other sources, though!

Rita Wolf, Gordon Warnecke and Daniel Day-Lewis in My Beautiful Laundrette

Peter Bradshaw rates Stephen Frears's whole filmography.

Here are some great choices for your own pandemic streaming. The Guardian's Bradshaw is an indefatigable, enthusiastic, and concise movie critic. He's 95% reliable here and his thumbnail reviews are eloquent. Stephen Frears is a director you need to know if you don't already. Films #2-8 are must-sees, absolutely.

Click HERE

My Beautiful Laundrette might be my favorite film of the 1980's. (Here's a recent tribute.) The Grifters is one of the best of the 1990's. Dangerous Liaisons is superb - so smart, so exciting. I love Prick Up Your Ears. Many of the rest are very, very good. And others are watchable. And a few are not so great. Read Bradshaw's list.

Glenn Close,John Malkovich, Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Liaisons
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-12-2020 at 04:49 PM.

From Bela Tarr's Satantango

More Film at Lincoln Center Virtual Cinema for this week

Sátántangó—Béla Tarr’s epic masterpiece opens tomorrow, April 17
    A Film at Lincoln Center exclusive virtual run!

It's 7 1/2 hours long. I have a screener if I have the stamina to write about it. It will cost you $14.99 to watch it online.. Sign up HERE.

It was shown at the NYFF last year and had a theatrical run in Oct. 2019. But I don't think you can watch it at home otherwise than this - or if you can get hold of the 3-disc French PAL DVD version, which sells for $135.

The Booksellers—D.W. Young’s acclaimed documentary opens tomorrow, April 17

This was the last new film I saw in New York before escaping, at the Quad. I didn't review it but if you love bookstores, you must see it. The virtual viewing costs $9.99. Set it up HERE.

Highlights from Rendez-Vous with French Cinema are available for FREE on Festival Scope!

Festival Scope link

I've reported on this and recently reviewed the two I had not seen, Jeanne (Bruno Dumont) and The Children of Isadora (Damien Manivel). The others are The Dazzled,, Prix Jean Vigo winner, and Burning Ghost, those two, somewhat lackluster in my view (despite the prize), I reviewed during the Rendez-Vous; see Filmleaf Festival Coverage.

(These are no longer available.)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-28-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Selected virtual SXSW festival

Selected virtual SXSW festival - ten new films and series free on Amazon Prime now HERE

SELFIE

As mentioned selections from this year's cancelled SXSW festival in Austin will air virtually, but my starting date was wrong. It begins next Monday, April 27. This will be on Amazon Prime, so if you have that service, it's all free for you.

You can search the entire originally scheduled festival PAGE HERE, but it lists no film events.

SXSW Virtual Festival to Launch on Amazon With 39 Films Over Nine Days

Here's the story from Variety:
    Courtesy of SXSW
    Apr 21, 2020 10:05am PT
    The 2020 SXSW Film Festival has set its virtual selection and screening dates on Amazon, garnering almost 40 shorts, features and episodic programs to participate in the digital workaround to coronavirus shutdowns.

The virtual festival will stream from April 27 through May 6, in front of the Amazon Prime paywall, meaning any user with an Amazon account can access the content.

"SXSW has always championed creators forging their own paths to success, often with just the right mix of passion, vision and radical experimentation to make their dreams happen," said Janet Pierson, SXSW director of film. "There is no one-size-fits-all, especially in these uncertain times, and we knew this opportunity would be of interest to those filmmakers who wanted to be in front of a large audience now."

SXSW was canceled by local government officials just a week before it was set to kick off in Austin, Texas, in March. Amazon stepped in shortly thereafter with a virtual pivot, which has generated some noise in the indie film community. Giving any Amazon user access to unsold, independently financed content for over a week was seen by many as a deterrent to buyers, who need exclusivity to motivate customers to watch new movies.

Participants in the virtual fest have received fees to screen their titles, but many are still seeking distribution.

Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke said her group understands that "every film has its own strategy and we know this opportunity may not make sense for every filmmaker. However, for those who want to share their stories right now and with as many people as possible, we’re excited to provide them this platform."

Notable films participating in the virtual festival include “My Darling Vivian” from director Matt Riddlehoover, about Johnny Cash’s first wife and the mother of his four daughters. The film includes never-before-seen footage, and appearances from Reese Witherspoon, Joaquin Phoenix, Tim Robbins, Whoopi Goldberg, John C. Reilly and more.

In addition to online panels and Q&As produced by SXSW, the streamer has also pledged to highlight Free the Work, a nonprofit run by "Honey Boy" director Alma Har’el. The group is dedicated to identifying systemic inequalities in film, television, advertising and media, and finding actionable solutions to expand access for underrepresented creators.

Read the selected program:

NARRATIVE FEATURES

Cat in the Wall / Bulgaria, UK, France (Directors, screenwriters and producers: Mina Mileva, Vesela Kazakova) — This terrific comedy-drama is set on a southeast London council estate, which is riven by social and economic divisions and threatened by the all-consuming force of gentrification. Irina, a Bulgarian woman lives there with her small son and her brother. The lift serves as a toilet, the multi-cultural residents exchange shouts rather than pleasantries, and an expensive refurbishment is undesired but must be paid for. And in the midst of this: an apparently ownerless cat which has had enough of the heated atmosphere barricades itself ‘in the wall’, requiring the residents to collaborate. Cat in the Wall is an arresting critique of society, a whirlpool of emotions from despair to joie de vivre conveyed by strongly delineated characters. This heart-warming tale, shot in a documentary style, is this year’s equivalent of director Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake. Cast: Irina Atanosova, Angel Genov, Gilda Waugh

Gunpowder Heart / Guatemala (Director and screenwriter: Camila Urrutia, Producer: Inés Nofuentes) — Claudia and Maria have fallen in love. They live in the city of Guatemala, a city full of stories related to abuse, unforgiving police officers, and charming secret corners. Everything changes one night when they are attacked by three men. They manage to escape but they now have to choose if they want revenge. Cast: Andrea Henry, Vanessa Hernández

Le Choc du Futur / France (Director and screenwriter: Marc Collin, Co-Writer: Elina Gakou-Gomba, Producers: Marc Collin, Nicolas Jourdier, Gaelle Ruffier) — In the Paris of 1978, old formulas do not charm listeners anymore and new music must arise. In a male-dominated industry, Ana uses her electronic gadgets to make herself heard, creating a new sound that will mark the decades to come: the music of the future. Cast: Alma Jodorowsky, Philippe Rebbot, Clara Luciani

Selfie / France (Directors: Tristan Aurouet, Thomas Bidegain, Marc Fitoussi, Cyril Gelblat, Vianney Lebasque, Screenwriters: Giulio Callegari, Noé Debré, Hélčne Lombard, Julien Sibony, Bertrand Soulier, Producers: Mandoline Films, Chez Georges Productions) — Algorithms, Technophobics, Dating App addicts, Vloggers, cloud security breach… each one of us can relate to the wired madness happening on screen. In five subversive and hilarious Black Mirror-like tales, Selfie takes on our digital shortcomings and shows how the new 2.0 era is driving all of us nuts! Cast: Blanche Gardin, Manu Payet, Elsa Zylberstein

DOCUMENTARY FEATURES

I'm Gonna Make You Love Me / U.S. (Director and Producer: Karen Bernstein, Co-Producer: Nevie Owens) — Fellini meets Motown in I’m Gonna Make You Love Me, the tragi-comedic tale of one man’s search for self-acceptance, a journey that included tabloid celebrity, Tupperware parties, and two coming-outs — first as a straight woman, then as the gay man he was born to be. Cast: Brian Belovitch aka “Tish,” Gloria Walker, Michael Musto

My Darling Vivian / U.S. (Director: Matt Riddlehoover, Producers: Dustin Tittle, Matt Riddlehoover) — The story of Vivian Liberto, Johnny Cash’s first wife and the mother of his four daughters. Includes never-before-seen footage and photographs of Johnny Cash and Rosanne Cash, as well as footage featuring Reese Witherspoon, Joaquin Phoenix, Tim Robbins, Whoopi Goldberg, John C. Reilly and many more.

TFW NO GF / U.S. (Director and screenwriter: Alex Lee Moyer, Producers: Adam Bhala Lough, Cody Wilson, Ariel Pink, Alex Lee Moyer, Michael Reich, John Eisenman, Matt Ornstein, Claire Bargout, Deagan White, Barrett Avner) — Born from the internet, the phrase “TFW NO GF” was originally used online to describe a lack of romantic companionship. Since then, it has evolved to symbolize a greater state of existence defined by isolation, rejection and alienation. The meme’s protagonist, “WOJAK,” has become the mascot to a vast online community consisting of self-described "hyper-anonymous twenty somethings" and "guys who slipped between the cracks." TFW NO GF asks: How has the zeitgeist come to bear down on a generation alienated by the ‘real world’? Meet the lost boys who came of age on the internet in places like 4chan and Twitter, where they find camaraderie in despair.

EPISODIC

Cursed Films / Canada (Director and screenwriter: Jay Cheel, Producers: Andrew Nicholas McCann Smith, Laura Perlmutter, Brian Robertson, Jay Cheel) — Cursed Films is a five-part documentary series from Shudder exploring the myths and legends behind some of Hollywood’s notoriously "cursed" horror film productions. From plane accidents and bombings during the making of The Omen, to the rumoured use of human skeletons on the set of Poltergeist, these stories are legendary amongst film fans and filmmakers alike. But where does the truth lie?

Motherland: Fort Salem / U.S. (Creator: Eliot Laurence) — Set in an alternate America where witches ended their persecution by cutting a deal with the government to fight for the country, Motherland: Fort Salem follows three young women from training to deployment, as they fight terrorist threats with supernatural tactics.

Tales from the Loop / U.S., Canada (Creator/Writer: Nathaniel Halpern, Director: Mark Romanek, Executive Producers: Nathaniel Halpern, Matt Reeves, Mark Romanek, Adam Kassan, Rafi Crohn, Mattias Montero, Samanthan Taylor Pickett, Adam Berg and Simon Stĺlenhag) – Based on the acclaimed art of Swedish artist Simon Stĺlenhag, Tales from the Loop explores the town and people who live above “The Loop,” a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe. In this fantastical, mysterious town poignant human tales are told that bare universal emotional experiences while drawing on the intrigue of genre storytelling. Cast: Rebecca Hall, Paul Schneider, Daniel Zolghadri, Duncan Joiner, Jonathan Pryce

TALES FROM THE LOOP
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-28-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival goes digital

LAAPFF announces spring virtual showcase

Free Digital Showcase of Films and Panels Featuring Groundbreaking Asian Pacific American/Asian International Film - Begins May 1st with Premiere Sneak Peek at Two Episodes of PBS's Landmark Groundbreaking Series THE ASIAN AMERICANS

Like other film festivals scheduled for this time of the coronavirus shutdowns, the 36th Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival cannot take place at its scheduled time (the presse release says Visual Communications (VC) has "rescheduled [it]. . . "to a later date"). So,for now, here comes the LAAPFF Virtual Showcase, which like SXSW's, will offer a selection of their planned offerings online, in their case for free.

[press release]
    The LAAPFF VIRTUAL SHOWCASE will launch May 1st with its Opening Day Film - the premiere sneak preview of Episodes 3 and 4 of the upcoming groundbreaking PBS Documentary Series ASIAN AMERICANS. Both episodes will be available from 8AM PST to 8PM PST in the LAAPFF VIRTUAL SHOWCASE for personal viewing. Then at 5PM PST/8PM EST, there will be a special online Q&A with the filmmakers and special guests will take place to discuss the film and current issues. View the trailer for ASIAN AMERICANS here.

The LAAPFF VIRTUAL SHOWCASE will also feature the festival World Premiere of FIRST VOTE on May 5. Directed by Yi Chen, this insightful film focuses on the current Asian American experience at the election polls in the United States. Through in-depth honest and revealing conversations with four Asian American voters in battleground states, the filmmaker also contemplates exercising her own right to vote in America - a first time for her. An online post Q/A discussion with director Chen and subjects from the film will take place at 5PM PST on May 5.

The complete lineup for the LAAPFF VIRTUAL SHOWCASE will be announced on Monday, April 27th. For additional details, please visit festival.vcmedia.org.
    This information was received April 22, 2020. The LAAPFF organizers will release their Virtual Showcase program schedule in the next few weeks. Stay tuned for more details on that website.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-14-2020 at 09:31 PM.

FILM FORUM adds two revival films to its present ten-film virtual cinema.

All these films are available online for rental and are significant new films or new revivals

Coming Friday, April 24: Jules Dassin’s RIFIFI and Lee Grant’s DOWN AND OUT IN AMERICA.

They also announce their weekly podcast, which includes:
    - A Q&A with Kantemir Balagov, 28-year-old filmmaker of the Russian drama, BEANPOLE (part of Film Forum's current Virtual Cinema).
    - My Film Forum: memories of filmgoing shared by Neige from Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan

Get the podcast HERE.

Access the virtual cinema HERE.

Again, their current virtual cinema lineup is:
    THE BOOKSELLERS
    WHAT SHE SAID: THE ART OF PAULINE KAEL
    BEANPOLE
    István Szabó's MEPHISTO
    INCITEMENT
    THE WHISTLERS
    Ken Loach’s SORRY WE MISSED YOU
    CORPUS CHRISTI
    THE WILD GOOSE LAKE
    Luchino Visconti’s L’INNOCENTE
    Needless to say, rentals of these films online help keep Film Forum afloat during the coronavirus shutdown.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-24-2020 at 06:01 PM.

More unique virtual releases from Film Forum.

Access the virtual cinema HERE.

EXCLUSIVE NYC PREMIERE
    FRIDAY, MAY 1: CAPITAL IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY
    This is a new film.

Available to rent starting Friday, May 1

A FILM BY JUSTIN PEMBERTON

Based on the international bestseller by rock-star economist Thomas Piketty (which sold over three million copies worldwide and landed Piketty on TIME Magazine’s list of most influential people), this captivating documentary is an eye-opening journey through wealth and power, a film that breaks the popular assumption that the accumulation of capital runs hand in hand with social progress, and shines a new light on today’s growing inequalities. Traveling through time, the film assembles accessible pop-culture references coupled with interviews of some of the world’s most influential experts delivering an insightful and empowering journey through the past and into our future.

NEW ZEALAND 2020 103 MINS. KINO LORBER

And two more revivals om reissues by Rialto

(Jules Dassin)
    FILM FORUM presents RIFIFI (1955)

Back from the pen, tough guy Jean Servais and some old cronies plan to knock over a jewelry store — the resulting heist a legendary 30-minute sequence without dialogue or music. Blacklisted Hollywood exile Jules Dassin turned a potboiler by milieu specialist Auguste Le Breton into an existential thriller that earned him Cannes’ Best Director prize and set the standard for screen robberies for decades to come.

JULES DASSIN Best Director, Cannes Film Festival

“THE UNDERWORLD EQUIVALENT OF A SUBLIME FRENCH MEAL.” - Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

“FLAWLESS! FOR LOVERS OF TOUGH-GUY MOVIE-MAKING, RIFIFI MEANS PERFECTION.” - Michael Sragow, The New York Times

“THE BEST FILM NOIR I’VE EVER SEEN.” - François Truffaut

DIRECTED BY JULES DASSIN
    FRANCE | 1955 | FRENCH WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES
    A RIALTO PICTURES RELEASE

Show more
    VIRTUAL TICKET Watch Trailer Share

BAND OF OUTSIDERS
    Directed by Jean-Luc Godard

Starring Anna Karina, Sami Frey and Claude Brasseur

(1964, Jean-Luc Godard) In the dreary suburb of Joinville, Claude Brasseur and Sami Frey (“Belmondo’s suburban cousins” - JLG) take turns romancing English language student Anna Karina, then light up when she mentions the big pile of cash stashed at her aunt’s villa. A piece of cake burglary, but then things go memorably awry. A jeu d’esprit – extracted from one of the blackest Série Noire novels, Fools’ Gold by Dolores Hitchens. – with echt Godardian set pieces including the trio line-dancing “Le Madison” and then “doing” the Louvre in record time. Approx. 95 min.

A RIALTO PICTURES RELEASE
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-24-2020 at 06:02 PM.

UNTIL THE BIRDS RETURN ( 2017) & other films in digital & on demand from 1091 Media

KARIM MOUSSAOUI: UNTIL THE BIRDS RETURN/EN ATTENDANT LES HIRONDELLES (2017) - online from 1091 Media Film Room

This and other films now in digital and on demand from 1091 Media Front Room

I reviewed this three-part Algerian film, which has a European quality, on Filmleaf as part of New Directors/New Films 2018. It's a subtle and complex film and two years later it looks even better. You'll find that review in the Festival Coverage section HERE. I found it particularly interesting for its interplay of outside and local cultural influences and its picture of Algeria, which we don't glimpse that often onscreen. It is now coming out April 28th in digital and on demand via 1091 MEDIA FILM ROOM. As you'll see on their website, other current offerings include WHAT YOU GONNA DO WHEN THE WORLD'S ON FIRE, HIMALAYAN ICE, and the doc about Yves Saint Laurant's last season, CELEBRATION, which I have viewed, and liked; I've reviewed the first two here. Other films offered include LINDA RONSTADT: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE; LIVING HOME, COMING HOME: A PORTRAIT OF ROBERT FRANK; BIRDS OF PASSAGE, which I've also reviewed - and lots more, including films from the Sundance and Tribeca film festivals.

FILM FORUM addition.

Besides Godard's BAND OF OUTSIDERS, May 1 will see their exclusive Virtual Cinema release of the Kino Lorber documentary CAPITAL IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY (Justin Pemberton 2019), based on the French economist Thomas Piketty’s #1 bestseller, adapted by Matthew Metcalfe in collaboration with Pemberton and Piketty.

For full Film Forum Virtual Cinema offerings and details, go to https://filmforum.org/virtual-cinema

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast