Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THE PANDEMIC STREAMING WORLD: Oscilloscope, Kino Lorber, Music Box Films

DEERSKIN/LE DAIN (Quentin Dupieux 2019)

This oddball crime tale, which friends said reminded them of Tarantino, reviewed here as part of this year's Rendez-Vous with French Cinema, will open May 1 as part of Greenwich Entertainment’s virtual cinema initiative. Greenwich is partnering with movie theaters that are currently closed because of Coronavirus precautions. You can support them by paying to view this new film. Every rental is $10, I believe. They also offer HUMAN NATURE, THE BOOKSELLERS, THE TIMES OF BILL CUNNINGHAM, CITIZEN K, WILD NIGHTS WITH EMILY, INCITEMENT, which I've reviewed, and other titles. See their website.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-27-2020 at 03:21 PM.

SXSW on Amazon Prime Video.

If you have Amazon Prime, their ten selections from this year's cancelled Austin, Texas festival can now for a limited time be watched free HERE.

[No longer available.]
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-05-2020 at 10:37 PM.

"World's biggest film festivals" unite for 10-day streaming event May 29-June 7, 2020

A virtual festival-of-festivals. We Are One: A Global Film Festival announced for May 29-June 7, 2020

From Peter Bradshaw in the GUARDIAN comes word of
    the new Covid-19-related We Are One: A Global Film Festival . . . a 10-day online festival beginning 29 May curated by Jane Rosenthal of the Tribeca film festival featuring arthouse films (though not the big-ticket Hollywood items) from Cannes, Venice, Berlin and many more, streaming for free in return for an optional donation to the World Health Organization’s Covid-19 fund.
    Read the earlier GUARDIAN story HERE.

Peter Bradshaw hastens to point out this, watching movies at home on your laptop, is very far from what film festivals are all about. And he doubts that any really important new films will be included. Still, as an opportunity for people who can't go to Cannes, Locarno, Toronto, or Park City, it's unprecedented.

To connect with the event go here: https://www.youtube.com/WeAreOne

But it doesn't begin till a month from now so there's nothing going on there yet.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-30-2020 at 12:05 PM.

C̶a̶n̶n̶e̶s̶ ̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶0̶

Film festival ditches plans to postpone event until later in the year in favour of collaborating with other festivals, rather than take festival online\- GUARDIAN.
    Cannes has decided not to reschedule to later in the year but to send its Competition films to other festivals. And there will be no Pandemic Streaming World Cannes Festival.

Even for cinephiles who've never been there, Cannes looms largest among the world's great film festivals. I've been covering Cannes 'virtually' on Filmleaf for several years. So it's a shock to learn there will be no Cannes as a place or Cannes as a brand in the world of international cinema in any form this year. Cannes will disappear.

Really?

A Guardian story explains.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-11-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Virtual theater: Kino, Film Forum, Lincoln Center.

Note a number of films I've reviewed here are up on pay-for-view via KINO MARQUEE which allows you to watch while aiding a theater you choose.
    CAPITAL (about Thomas PIketty)
    HILNA AF CLINT (about the artist)
    BACURAU Kleber Mendonça Filho, Juliano Dornelles)
    MEPHISTO (German Academy Award winer)
    SORRY WE MISSED YOU ( Ken Loach)
    BEANPOLE (Kasimire Balagov, NYFF)
    THE WOMAN WHO LOVES GIRAFFES

Coming:

THE GREY FOX (Newly restored Canadian Western)
    LA Virtual Theatrical Opening Fri, May 15 at both LUMIERE CINEMA & LAEMMLE THEATRES

There is also Film Forum - same thing: I have been reporting on their virtual offerings. Some overlap with Kino's.

Luchino Visconti’s
    L’INNOCENTE
    István Szabó’s
    MEPHISTO
    Lee Grant’s
    DOWN AND OUT IN AMERICA
    Jules Dassin’s
    RIFIFI
    Anna Karina in Godard’s
    BAND OF OUTSIDERS
    Romy Schneider & Yves Montand in
    CÉSAR AND ROSALIE
    Ken Loach's
    SORRY WE MISSED YOU
    CORPUS CHRISTI
    THE WHISTLERS
    THE WILD GOOSE LAKE
    BEANPOLE
    INCITEMENT
    WHAT SHE SAID: THE ART OF PAULINE KAEL
    THE BOOKSELLERS
    CAPITAL IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY

CARO DIARIO (Nanni Moretti 1993) New 2K Restoration
    ON A MAGICAL NIGHT (Christophe Honoré ) R-V
    BACARAU (Kleber Mendonça Filho, Juliano Dornelles)
    THE BOOKSELLERS (D.W. Young)
    DEERSKIN/LE DAIN (Quentin Dupieux) R-V
    LIBERTÉ (Albert Serra) NYFF
    SANTIAGO, ITALIA (Nanni Moretti 2018)
    SATANAGO (Béla Tarr , 7 hrs. 20 mins.) New 4K Restoration
    SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE/DEUX MOI (Cédric Klapisch)
    THE WHISTLERS (Corneliu Porumboiu) NYFF
    A WHITE, WHITE DAY (Hlynur Pálmason)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-05-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival

You can watch some of this cancelled festival's virtual form HERE.
    A livestream event is scheduled for Saturday, May 16, 2020.

Relic.

A new (mainly?) virtual but also theatrical release of interest is RELIC. Filmleaf's Sundance 2020 coverage:
    RELIC (Natalie Erika James) is an "unsettling debut" by a Japanese Austrialian fllmmaker, a "slow-burn haunted house movie" that turns into a "disturbingly effective allegory for the ravages of dementia" -- a disease that this time spreads through the entire family. The "compelling performances" headline Emily Mortimer and Bella Heathcote, recounts HOLLYWOOD REPORTER'S David Rooney.
    IFC presents RELIC directed by Natalie Erika James, written by Natalie Erika Jame and Christian White, starring Emiy Morimer, Bella Heathcote, Robyn Nevin

Relic WILL OPEN JULY 10, 2020 IN THEATERS AND ON VOD/DIGITAL RENTAL. Filmleaf review then.

NEW TEASER AND SOCIAL TOOLKIT AVAILABLE HERE

YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | DOWNLOAD
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-05-2020 at 10:11 PM.

AMERICAN PLAYHOUSE, 1985: Bill Duke's The Killing Floor

DAMIEN LEAKE AND ALFRE WOODARD IN THE KILLING FLOOR

This made-for-TV film about a young black man come to Chicago from the South during World War I, restored as explained below in a text from UCLA, becomes part of Film Forum's exclusive Virtual Cinema starting June 12. It's unusual in its focus on African Americans in union labor organizing, and all the characters are based on and have the names of real people. It has a unique interest at this time. Details on IMDb HERE.
    Rich in characters and played against a canvas red with the blood of the Chicago Race Riot of 1919, this critically acclaimed independent film tells a true story of how a group of black and white slaughterhouse workers attempted to break race barriers to build an interracial union for the first time in the brutal Chicago Stockyards. Damien Leake stars as Frank Custer, a young black sharecropper from Mississippi—one of tens of thousands of southern blacks who journeyed to the industrial north during World War One, hoping for more racial equality. When he lands a job as a laborer on “the killing floor” of a giant Chicago meatpacking plant, he finds a place seething with racial antagonism. White immigrant workers are determined to improve their bargaining power by bringing the new black migrants into the union for the first time, but many blacks resist, having had bitter experience with whites. When Frank decides to support the union, his best friends from the South turn against him.

The screenplay by Obie Award-winning playwright Leslie Lee is based on a story by executive producer Elsa Rassbach, whose independent production company engaged Bill Duke to direct it as his first feature film. In 1985 The Killing Floor was invited to numerous festivals, including Cannes, and won the Special Jury Award at the Sundance Film Festival among many other awards. The film had already premiered to acclaim in 1984 in the PBS American Playhouse series. Originally The Killing Floor was planned as the pilot production for a PBS series of ten historical dramas exploring the little-known history of American workers that Rassbach developed together with a team of leading historians and several screenwriters. The characters and events in the film are authentic and were discovered through research in historical archives.

Utilizing the original negatives and other 16mm original materials, UCLA Film & Television Archive has digitally restored the film in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Chicago Race Riot of 1919 and the events that led up to it.—Jan-Christopher Horak

DCP, color, 118 min. Production: Public Forum Productions, Ltd. Producer: Elsa Rassbach, George Manasse. Director: Bill Duke. Screenwriter: Leslie Lee, Elsa Rassbach, Ron Milner. Cinematographer: William Birch. Production Designer: Maher Ahmad. Editor: John N. Carter. Music: Elizabeth Swados. Cast: Damien Leake, Alfre Woodard, Dennis Farina, Ernest Rayford, Moses Gunn, Clarence Felder.

Preserved by UCLA Film & Television Archive from a 16mm safety color original picture negative and a mono 16mm safety audio mag track MTI Nova Restoration, laboratory services and DCP by UCLA Film & Television Archive Digital Media Lab. Special thanks to Elsa Rassbach, Sundance Institute Collection at UCLA Film & Television Archive.

Part of:
    2019 UCLA Festival of Preservation
    Zhang Yimou’s
    SHANGHAI TRIAD
    OPENS JUNE 26

Fritz Lang’s
    INDIAN EPIC
    OPENS JULY 24

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-05-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    Also recommended:

THE VAST OF NIGHT (Andrew Patterson 2019) - on Amazon Prime from May 15

Did not know about Patterson's charming little sci-fi feature in a low-keyed style till this week when Anthony Lane reviewed it in The New Yorker - along with a very unfavorable writeup of Josephine Decker's Shirley featuring Elizabeth Moss as the writer Shirley Jackson. I skipped the review - both reviews - (till later) and went right to the movie. The Vast of Night turns out to be a remarkable, highly assured, and quite delightful debut by Patterson and in my book one of the best films of the year. Do not watch the trailer of The Vast of Night, which tells too much. Watch the movie. 89 mins. Metascore: 84%.

Sierra McCormick in The Vast of Night

Jake Horowitz in The Vast of Night
    SOMETIMES ALWAYS NEVER

I also will be recommending, and publishing a review of, the British Scrabble dramedy SOMETIMES ALWAYS NEVER (Carl Hunter 2018), with Bill Nighy, which goes into new virtual theater release Friday, June 12, 2020.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-05-2020 at 11:06 PM.

Gorgeous new restorations of 3 Classics
    of early cinema for Pride Month

PIONEERS OF QUEER CINEMA

Available by VIRTUAL CINEMAS
    across the U.S. starting 6/12

including
    NY - Film Forum starting 7/3
    LA - Laemmle Theatres & Lumiere Cinema starting 6/12

VIEW TRAILER
    "Gorgeous new restorations" is the language of the press release, but they are.
    I've never seen this, not even the frequent repertory item MÄDCHEN IN UNIFORM. I have screeners and will report on Filmleaf.

Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-11-2020 at 05:25 PM.

What a thread Chris!!

Huzzah and thank you.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Thanks, Johan.

YOURSELF AND YOURS 당신자신과 당신의 것 ( Hong Sang-soo 2016)

This by te prolific South Korean auteur was in the Main Slate of the 2016 NYFF, but I didn't cover it then. I will watch it now on virtual cinemas and add it to Filmleaf's 2016 Festival Coverage section.
    HONG SANG-SOO: YOURSELF AND YOURS 당신자신과 당신의 것 (2016)

LEE YOO-YOUNG AND KIM JU-HYUK IN YOURSELF AND YOURS

[NYTimes, Gabe Cohn, June 5, 2020.]
    Watch on virtual cinemas.. Alcohol and love infuse Yourself and Yours, a new movie from the South Korean filmmaker Hong Sang-soo. It kicks off with a breakup: Young-soo (Kim Ju-hyuk) tells Min-jung (Lee Yoo-young), his girlfriend, to quit drinking. She quits him instead. The plot that follows involves mystery and despondency. “Hong’s formal confidence yields a movie that’s very simply constructed and utterly engrossing,” Glenn Kenny wrote in his review for The New York Times. He named the film a Critic’s Pick. "There are a lot of scenes done in a single shot, usually static, but when there’s a zoom (his preferred camera flourish), it’s unfussy and direct," Kenny wrote. "He puts you in tune with the world of his sad-sack characters immediately, and their rhythm becomes the rhythm of the story." The film was released overseas in 2016, but is just now having its stateside debut; it’s available this weekend from many virtual cinemas, including Film at Lincoln Center's.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-10-2020 at 05:19 PM.

VAST OF NIGHT (Patterson) - is a brilliant opening and blah follow up, but the opening is a calling card for great things to come from this young director and if you love great direction, don't miss it.

Maybe after getting a reality check from reading Mike D'Angelo's review of VAST OF NIGHT (on Amazon since May 15) I should say "almost one of the year's best," because he is right - Patterson is a brilliant new director, but the last two thirds don't have the follow-through to make this a great sci-fi movie. D'Angelo's subscription-only Patreon reviews that I get now come on Letterbox'd later, but I don't know when. I'll just quote a little of it. He gives it a 63/100. That's pretty decent for him, but not a "year's best" score. Remember, this is free if you have Amazon and I still highly recommend that you watch it. Also when it comes, Carl Hunter's 2018 British SOMETIMES ALWAYS NEVER with Bill Nighy, digital this Friday June 12 and on demand in July.

63/100

For half an hour or so, the most exciting indie debut I'd seen in years. Every Amazon Prime subscriber should at the very least watch the film's first act,. . . [but] The narrative... is really weak. Kind of astonishingly weak
    But please, someone, give this man a good idea. That's all he needs. I can't even remember the last time I saw a first-time American director create such a credible, distinct, arrestingly specific milieu from the ground up. (Actually, I can: Robert Eggers. But he had the advantage of going way more archaic. . .
    ) Despite knowing in advance that The Vast of Night is science fiction, and then being assaulted by a bad Rod Serling impression in the first 30 seconds, I kept thinking of films like Diner and Metropolitan and Dazed and Confused, along with the early Jeffrey/Sandy scenes in Blue Velvet. Unlike those filmmakers, Patterson isn't mining his own past (or a warped vision of his past, in Lynch's case), which arguably makes his wizardry even more impressive. Everything's so insanely detailed, with so much evident creative thought expended on each seemingly irrelevant aspect (most of which are in fact irrelevant, but gloriously so—the purloined trombone!) of each shot and interaction, that the cumulative effect exposes just how thinly imagined most contemporary indies are. Wouldn't have worked without actors as strong as Sierra McCormick and Jake Horowitz, both of whom handle Hawks-speed badinage with insanely casual ease even as they navigate Patterson's magnificently complex traveling shots. . .
    [He has some quibbles, but the main, big one is simply that the material once the "story" "kicks in" is too thin, and in this he is right.]
    --Mike D'Angelo's review. )
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-11-2020 at 04:58 PM.

WASP NETWORK (OLIVIER ASSAYAS)

Filmleaf review

Olivier Assayas is another top director getting his new feature film first released, now exclusively due to the pandemic, on Netflix. It's the political thriller Wasp Network, which is focused on a Cuban spy ring that operated in Miami against the anti-Cuban forces there. Fidel considered this activity only right and understandable to the Americans, and was not the only one who questioned the long sentences the US courts gave the "Cuban Five."

[Report from Toronto 2019:] "Assayas [showed] a tweaked version of the movie — which is adapted from Fernando Morais’s book, The Last Soldiers of the Cold War — at the New York Film Festival in October [2019]," said Deadline On June 19, 2020, the movie, presumably that tweaked version, was released to a larger public on Netflix. Last week Netflix released Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods., which I've reviewed on Filmleaf HERE.

These are the two significant new Netflix June movie releases. (You'll find all their releases for June here.) There are some other good recent (but not new) releases up this month on Netflix, such as Greta Gerwig's Lady Bird. Watch for a review of Wasp Network.

The interesting thing about Wasp Network is -- well, read my review.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-21-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast