I don't think there's been much mention on FILMLEAF of Charlie Kaufman's I'M THINKING OF ENDING THINGS, certainly not a review. This film is currently commanding a lot of my thinking about movies. Charlie Kaufman's conceits have paid off amply in the past, providing unique humanist perspectives. The wisdom and emotional power of films like ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND and ADAPTATION is undeniable. I find that "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" may be just as wonderful an achievement as those older films but I will have to watch the film again to decide. I'm glad I don't have to write reviews on a deadline. Sometimes , these films that take a long time to figure out turn out to be the very best.
I am also admiring the Oscar winning best animated short of 2004: Chris Landreth's RYAN. It's a biopic of a famous Canadian animator famous in the 60s and 70s before a precipitous, substance-fueled decline into despondency. I love it enough to include on my list. It's very smart, spectacular from a purely pictorial perspective, and emotionally compelling; a combination of attributes that's just hard to find.