Thread: Tcm

Hybrid View

Cable package is installed, so it's back to TCM!

I missed that channel. I just saw the following films:

December 7th: the movie- propaganda film never-before seen by Gregg Toland (Citizen Kane cameraman) and John Ford. I learned a lot about the Japanese, who numbered 157,000 on Hawaii when Pearl Harbour happened.

Spartacus- my least-favorite Kubrick. It's a solid epic.

Les Girls- cheeky Gene Kelly musical. I actually enjoyed it.

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)- the best screen version in my view. Charles Laughton is awesome in it. Clark Gable isn't too shabby either.

The Sea Hawk- rousing Errol Flynn action film. Quality stuff, with an England vs. Spain naval war.

2001: A Space Odyssey- part of "The Essentials" series, Brad Bird was right. 2001 is Hypnotic.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

"No one loves poetry like a Russian..."

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (1965)

Omar Sharif is Dr. Yuri Zhivago, a physician and poet caught up in love and the October Revolution in Russia.
    David Lean directs this epic, with gorgeous cinematography despite the dour/heavy story.
    Rod Steiger and Alec Guinness provide stellar support, with Julie Christie playing Lara, his forbidden love.

Yuri goes through hell, while simply trying to live.
    This is a long movie (over 3 hours with an intermission) so give yourself time to take it all in.
    I loved seeing Klaus Kinski in an early role, "the only free man on this train..."
    I also loved the lilting balalaika music, which you hear throughout the picture.
    A must-see.
    It's David Lean, Mang!!
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd