Thread: SFFILM Presents: Hong Kong Cinema - online film series July 12 - August 5, 2020

SFFILM Presents: Hong Kong Cinema - online film series July 12 - August 5, 2020

SFFILM Presents: Hong Kong Cinema - online film series July 12 - August 5, 2020

FILMLEAF FESTIVAL COVERAGE THREAD

Full festival information HERE.

press release
    Beloved Series Celebrating One of the World’s Most Important Film Industries Goes Virtual with Online Screenings and Live-Streamed Filmmaker Q&As

I expect to provide Filmleaf Festival coverage reviews

San Francisco, CA – SFFILM has announced the lineup for the tenth annual Hong Kong Cinema film series, which will take place July 12–August 5 as an online showcase of four films, each with a live-streamed Q&A. Presented in association with the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office, San Francisco, this annual series of exciting new work from one of the world’s most important filmmaking hubs displays the region’s proficiency in developing entertaining films in a range of genres and storytelling styles. Though unable to take place as an in-person event due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year's program offers exciting opportunities to virtually engage with an exciting roster of up-and-coming international talent in front of and behind the camera.

"Though COVID-19 creates numerous hurdles for us all, it's exciting that this year's Hong Kong Cinema seeks to reach its widest audience yet since we are not limited to one geographic region,” said Rod Armstrong, SFFILM Associate Director of Programming. “It's also thrilling that we'll be able to have guests for every screening so that attendees can get the broadest perspective possible of current filmmaking trends in the region."

"Amid the pandemic, we are thrilled to be able to continue this annual festival by moving it online and that film directors and talents in Hong Kong will be able to join the live-streamed conversation," said Ivanhoe Chang, Director of the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office, San Francisco. "We are grateful to the dedicated effort of SFFILM and their appreciation of Hong Kong movies and emerging talents. Our office is committed to continue promoting Hong Kong movies to a wider audience and this online edition will surely serve that purpose."

Featuring three diverse and exciting new films and one reprise from the 2017 SFFILM Festival, this year's Hong Kong Cinema showcases emerging Hong Kong directors with a weekly online screening supplemented by a live-streamed conversation with key cast and crew members. These films tackle important issues such as disability, aging in the gay community, and mental illness with insight and candor. Stellar performances abound, including career-best roles for superstars Shawn Yue, Alex Lam, and Anthony Wong.

All Hong Kong Cinema programs are free for SFFILM members. Individual tickets are $8 for the general public; a $15 pass provides access to all films and conversations. The conversation for Mad World is free and open to the public; advance RSVP is required. Ticket-buyers and registrants will be sent private links to stream each film online, and provided access to each live-streamed Q&A session with the filmmakers and special guests. The box office is now open at sffilm.org.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 06-25-2020 at 07:41 PM.

MAD WORLD (Wong Chun 2016)

SFFILM publicity director Bill Procdtor, who's always been so kind to me, is working on the screeners but tipped me off that one of the selections, Wong Chun's 2017 MAD WORLD, is playing now on Netflix. The photo looked familiar and I realize: I reviewed it three summers ago as part of the NY Asian Film Festival. Here is my review.

Wong Chun's unusual award-winning debut depicts the psychological struggles of a young stockbroker from a poor background recovering from a mental crisis in cramped quarters.

Click on the title above for the Filmleaf Festival Coverage review.