Thread: Mank

Hybrid View

I can't really shed light on this matter but you have. I think you have stated it very well. Best wishes for the holidays to you, too.

You've probably seen Warner Bros.' announcement about simultaneous online HBO releases to all their films, and Christopher Nolan's furious response. I am glad Nolan is championing film and theatrical releases, which seem essential to the integrity of the medium. I haven't even seen TENET yet but I saw DUNKIRK two days in a row, the first time in iMax, the second in 70mm at a large old movie house. That is the beauty of cinema.

Privately, he called or referred to "Dune" as "the best thing I've ever done." No wonder he's upset about having to release it online. You and I both know that film belongs in a theater, especially if he's planning a 70mm release or simultaneous IMAX. Dune is an epic novel that needs an epic platform. I hope he's done it justice. I love the book but only managed to read it all the way through once and that was years ago.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Er, Dune? That would be Villeneuve. I don't know anything about it, but it would require a large screen.

OMG! My bad, Chris. I confused Nolan's work with Villeneuve. How stupid. I don't know what I was thinking. Glad you caught it.

Don't know what Nolan's next project is. To blow up Warner Bros., maybe.

He and other directors would gladly push the plunger. Merry Christmas my wise and learned friend. Take care.