Thread: The César Awards, Mar. 12, 2021

The César Awards, Mar. 12, 2021

The Césars, Paris March 12, 2021

We're in the final four films of Filmleaf's ongoing coverage of the 2021 New York Rendez-Vous with French Cinema. Here are the results of today's César awards, showing the crossovers.

Rendez-Vous names and titles are in red. Notably, Laure Calamy's film is one of them, and Emmanuel Mouret's Love Affair(s), aka Les choses qu'on dit, les choses quo'on fait. Unfortunately, other good titles in the Rendez-Vous were not mentioned at the Césars. (Not familiar with the clearly popular Bye Bye Morans" aks "Adieu les cons" except for the name. )

This is an interesting year because there was a lot of political and social upheaval again, as last year. I'm omitting foreign, animated, and short film listings which don't apply to the Rendez-Vous.

From Screen Daily:

Albert Dupontel’s Bye Bye Morons topped the awards at a politically-charged 46th Césars ceremony on Friday evening (March 12), marked by growing anger within the French film industry over the ongoing closure of cinemas and other cultural spaces as part of anti-Covid-19 measures.

Bye Bye Morons clinched seven Césars including best film, director, cinematography (Alexis Kavyrchine), best original screenplay (Dupontel), best supporting actor (Nicolas Marié), best production design (Carlos Conti) and the fledgling César des Lycéens, which is voted on by 1,500 high school students.

Dupontel, who previously won best director and best adapted screenplay Césars for See You Up There and best screenplay for 9-Month Stretch, never attends the César ceremony out of personal preference and was not present on Friday. He was represented on stage by producer Catherine Bozorgan.

Voted on by the 4,292 members of France’s Academy of Cinema Arts and Techniques, the awards were reserved for films that received a theatrical release in 2020, a year in which French cinemas were shut for a total of 23 weeks due to the pandemic.

Nearly all the filmmakers and stars who took to the stage at the socially distanced event at the Olympia concert hall in Paris used their slots to call for the re-opening of cinemas and other cultural places.

After a 14-week closure last spring, French cinemas reopened over the summer and early autumn before closing for a second time at the end of October with no indication from the government as yet on when they might reopen.

The most startling protest of the evening was that by actress Corinne Masiero.

She arrived on stage to announce the winner for best costume draped in a donkey outfit and covered in fake blood and proceeded to strip naked to reveal slogans on her body declaring solidarity for freelance workers in the culture and entertainment sectors.

Earlier in the evening, representatives of the entertainment workers union, the CGT Spectacle, took to the stage to highlight the plight of thousands of behind-the-scenes professionals whose futures remain uncertain while cultural places remain closed.

The union’s members have been occupying around 20 theatres and concert venues across France since the beginning of March.

Many of Friday night’s winners enjoyed only fleeting releases last year. Gaumont released Bye Bye Morons, for example, on October 21, just one week before cinemas were closed again. Josep, which won best feature animation, suffered a similar fate. The film’s distributor Sarah Chazelle at Jour2Fête said the film would go back into cinemas again once they reopened.

The breakout winner of the evening was Sébastien Lifshitz’s Adolescents, which follows two teenage girls growing up in a small provincial town over the course of five years. It won best documentary, sound and editing.

Further highlights included best actress for Call My Agent! star Laura Calamy for her performance in Caroline Vignal’s romantic comedy-drama My Donkey, My Lover & I and best actor for Sami Bouajila in Tunisian drama A Son.

Best foreign language film went to Danish director Thomas Vinterberg’s best international film Oscar frontrunner Another Round.

César nomination frontrunner Love Affair(s) by Emmanuel Mouret started the night in the running for 13 awards and went home with just one trophy for best supporting actress Emily Dequenne.

Last year’s César ceremony was equally tumultuous but for different reasons.

The show was marked by the sudden resignation of the entire governing board days before it was due to take place amid criticism over a lack of transparency, gender equality and diversity in its ranks, as well as controversy over the fact that Roman Polanski’s An Officer And A Spy was the frontrunner at the nomination stage. It would go on to win best director and best film, prompting a walkout by actress Adèle Haenel.

Since then, the membership and leadership of France’s Academy has been completely overhauled with its first-ever democratic election to vote in a gender-equal co-presidency and governing board.

The academy also wants to become inclusive and representative of the entire French population.

There is still much work to be done on that score but wins on Friday night in the best new hope categories for Fathia Youssouf, for her performance in Cuties, and Jean-Pascal Zadi for Tout Simplement Noir, were seen as a sign that the body and its members want to remain true to this ambition.

2021 César nominees and winners (winners in bold)

Best Director
    Albert Dupontel, Bye Bye Morons
    Maïwenn, DNA
    Sébastien Lifshitz, Adolescents
    Emmanuel Mouret, Love Affair(s)
    François Ozon, Summer Of 85

Best Film
    Bye Bye Morons, Albert Dupontel
    Adolescents, Sebastien Liftshitz
    My Donkey, My Lover & I, Caroline Vignal
    Love Affair(s), Emmanuel Mouret
    Summer Of 85, François Ozon

Best screenplay
    Alberto Dupontel, Bye Bye Morons
    Caroline Vignal, My Donkey, My Lover & I
    Emmanuel Mouret, Love Affair(s)

Filippo Meneghetti, Malysone Bovorasmy, Two Of Us
    Benoît Delépine, Gustave Kervern, Delete History

Best screenplay adaptation
    Olivier Assayas, Cuban Network
    Hannelore Cayre, Jean-Paul Salomé, Mama Weed
    François Ozon, Summer Of 85
    Stéphane Demoustier, The Girl With Bracelet
    Eric Barbier, Small Country: An African Childhood

Best Actress
    Laure Calamy, My Donkey, My Lover & I
    Martine Chevallier, Two Of Us
    Virginie Efira, Bye Bye Morons
    Camlia Jordana, Love Affair(s)
    Barbara Sukowa, Two Of Us

Best actor
    Sami Bouajila, A Son
    Jonathan Cohen, Enormous
    Albert Dupontel, Bye Bye Morons
    Neils Schneider, Love Affair(s)
    Lambert Wilson, De Gaulle

Best actress in a supporting role
    Fanny Ardant, DNA
    Valeria Bruni Tedeschi, Summer of 85
    Emilie Dequenne. Love Affair(s)

Noémie Lvovsky, How To Be A Good Wife
    Yolande Moreau, How To Be A Good Wife

Best actor in a supporting role
    Edouard Baer, How To Be A Good Wife
    Louis Garrel, DNA
    Benjamin Lavernhe, My Donkey, My Lover & I
    Vincent Macaigne, Love Affair(s)
    Nicolas Marié, Bye Bye Morons

Best female acting hope (Meilleur Espoir Féminin)
    Mélissa Guers, The Girl With The Bracelet
    India Hair, Sexfish
    Julia Platon, Love Affair(s)
    Camille Rutherford, Felicita
    Fathia Youssouf, Cuties (R-V last year)

Best male acting hope (Meilleur Espoir Masculin)
    Guang Huo, Night Ride
    Félix Lefebvre, Summer Of 85
    Benjamin Voisin, Summer Of 85

Alexandre Wetter, Miss
    Jean-Pascal Zadi, Tout Simplement Noir

Best original music
    Christophe Julien, Bye Bye Morons
    Stephen Warbeck, DNA
    Mateï Bratescot, My Donkey, My Lover & I
    Jean-Benoït Dunckel, Summer Of 85
    Rone, Night Ride

Best sound
    Jean Minondo, Gurwal Coïc-Gallasm Cyril Holtz, Bye Bye Morons
    Yolande Decarsin, Janne Delplancq, Fanny Martin, Olivier Goinard, Adolescents
    Guillaume Valeix, Fred Demolder, Jean-Paul Hurier, My Donkey, My Lover & I
    Brigitte Taillandier, Julien Roig, Jean-Paul Hurier, Summer Of 85

Best cinematography

Alexis Kavyrchine, Bye Bye Morons
    Antoine Parouty, Paul Guilhaume, Adolescents
    Simon Beaufils, My Donkey, My Lover & I
    Laurent Desmet, Love Affair(s)
    Hichame Alaouié, Summer Of 85

Best editing

Christophe Pinel, Bye Bye Morons
    Tina Baz, Adolescents
    Annette Dutertre, My Donkey, My Lover & I
    Martial Salomon, Love Affair(s)
    Laure Gardette, Summer Of 85

Best Costume

Rimi Lempicka, Bye Bye Morons
    Madeleine Fontaine, How To Be A Good Wife
    Hélène Davoudian, Love Affair(s)
    Anaïs Romand, Sergio Ballo, De Gaulle
    Pascaline Chavanne, Summer Of 85

Best production design
    Carlos Conti, Bye Bye Morons
    Thierry François, How To Be A Good Wife
    David Faivre, Love Affair(s)
    Nicolas De Boiscuillé, De Gaulle
    Benoït Barouh, Summer Of 85

Best first film
    Two Of Us, Filippo Meneghetti
    My Best Part, Nicolas Maury
    Cuties, Maïmouna Doucouré (R-V last year)
    Tout Simplement Noir, Jean-Pascal Zadi, John Wax
    Arab Blues, Manele Labadi

Best documentary
    Adolescents, Sébastien Lifshitz
    The Tie, Etienne Chaillou, Mathias Théry
    Cyrille, Rodolphe Marconi
    Histoire d’Un Regard, Mariana Otero
    The Monopoly Of Violence, David Dufresne
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 03-12-2021 at 08:57 PM.