Thread: SPIDER-MAN onscreen

SPIDER-MAN onscreen

I recently watched all of the Spider-Man films on blu-ray.

The first two in the Sam Raimi trilogy were excellent first cinematic forays. Tobey Maguire was good as Peter Parker, if a bit vacuous.
    Willem Dafoe stood out huge as the Green Goblin/Norman Osborn.
    The sequel (Spider-Man 2) is ranked among the best superhero movies ever made, with great action and Alfred Molina as Dr. Octopus.

The less said about the atrocious Spider-Man 3 the better.

Sony/Columbia felt the dire need to reboot the franchise, and they did so with two fairly solid movies starring Andrew Garfield as Spidey.
    I love the spider-suit/costume in all incarnations, but the suit in The Amazing Spider-Man is the best. Just really aesthetically pleasing. The costume really sells it in my opinion, and the producers have never skimped on the Spidey-suits. The web effects are also noteworthy- they nailed his webbing in all the films, great sfx.
    The Lizard and Electro are the villains for Garfield’s Spider-Man, and they are rendered well, albeit changing Electro’s visage with Jamie Foxx. The Rhino also appears at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the best thing about the movie to me, teasing us for another sequel that never came.

Yes, they rebooted yet again, with an eager-yet-forgettable Tom Holland.

Spider-Man: HOMECOMING is sufficiently entertaining, with plenty of action scenes and a suit designed by Tony Stark.
    They really wanted to make Peter Parker a kid for this reboot, a goofy eager kid. Tony Stark has to make him a “man” if he’s gonna be an Avenger...
    Michael Keaton appears in a show-stealing turn as the Vulture.

The follow-up Spider-Man: FAR FROM HOME is a let-down, despite great sfx. Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhaal) is my favourite Spider-Man villain, but the way they use him here is terrible. I never want to see Mysterio helmet-less!
    The corny humour didn’t win me over either. I don’t know who they were trying to impress: awkward teens or Spider-Man nerds...

I watched all of these back to back to back, and it was fun.
    I even watched the academy award-nominated INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE, Which gets my vote for best animated feature I’ve ever seen.
    Truly amazing and eye-popping.
    It turns the idea of Who can be Spider-Man on its ear.
    Last edited by Johann; 08-22-2021 at 09:05 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd