Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Guilty Pleasures

A group of us in film school at Ohio State trekked to Maryland just for the occasion. We also attended the so-called Midwest premiere of "Rocky Horror Picture Show" right around the same time (give or take a year). I remember all the very nervous people from Fox wondering how they were going to market a film they were sure would be a loser. At the PREMIER (mind you), they couldn't find enough people to fill the theater. There were cast members there, but I was too stoned to remember which one's they were. Afterward, I do remember my friends and I thinking we actually liked it. We went back to film school and told one of the profs about it. After that, he used to start out one of his lectures every year talking about "those big red lips". Strange world we live in.

I see--that's very interesting.

By the way, does anybody know how Raising Victor Vargas was developed? Did the director have a script, or did he just get the actors together and have them improvise?

Cinemabon,
    I attended graduate school at Ohio State from '81 to '83. There was a repertory theatre just across campus on North High Street and 20th or 21st street. I think it was called Cinematheque but I'm not sure, even though I watched about 5 films per week there. When I returned to Columbus 10 yrs. later, the theatre had closed. The University of Miami's Cosford Theatre, where I took cinema courses as an undergrad, is still running though. Do you remember the Columbus one? Two different films played there every day.

Chris: Raising Victor Vargas started as a short called Five feet high and raising. Mr. Sollett developed a screenplay for the feature film at the Sundance Institute. The actors were given some freedom during shooting to make changes, in collaboration with the director.

Am I getting old? Oh, no... not you...

Film school was at the north east end of the main campus just off High street up near Lane. I went to the web site just a few minutes ago to find the building I was in and I don't remember which one it was. I know it was a small building. (Jeez! I was there for over three years... went year 'round, spring, summer, winter, and fall. You'd think I could remember!) I started in 1973 and went through 1976. I also worked on campus, and the building I worked in looks like a shed compared to the building they put up right in front of it. Even the stadium has changed.

Plus, High Street was completely made over. A few years after I left, they closed High Street and turned it into a mall! Now its reopened again, but most of the bars we used to hang out in, like 'Larry's', are gone. There was a movie theater just north of campus where we used to go to the midnight movies on Saturdays, but I don't even see the building on the map! I thought it was near Lane and High, but there's a field of grass instead! Additionally, there were two theaters across from campus (single theaters, only one screen). My cousin, who went to OSU in the early eighties told me: "They tore that stuff down years ago." Kinda dates a person... jeez!

Oscar--thank you for your info on Victor Vargas. You're well informed. I knew that in general, but you give more details. I found even more right away via a Google search of "raising victor vargas script development," which led to a web page where Sollett is interviewed and answers those questions. I passed the link on to the guy who had asked me, somebody who had read my review of the movie on IMDb, an actor who wanted to know how much the script was improvised.

Not to be pedantic, but it was, of course, Five Feet High and Rising. "Raising" came later.

I loved that place

Oscar... Did you ever get over to Marzetti's Studio 35? They had part of the seats taken out in the back of the theater and a BAR put in! You could drink beer, eat popcorn, and see a film like "Treasure of Sierra Madre", for example. It was awesome! I spent many an hour there. I think it was on Summit. They had a double feature every night. I saw The Red Shoes, L'Avventura, Blow Up, Cries and Whispers, 8 1/2, Amarcord, Satyricon, Blow Up, and many, many, others.

Beer, popcorn and Satyricon; sounds like an awesome combo. This needs reviving...

Marzetti sold it while I was attending OSU, circa '82, and it became simply Studio 35. The theatre has existed since the 1930s. The only thing that changed is that the programming became a bit less adventurous. But what matters is that they kept everything else, the bar, wine/beer/pizza, low prices, the athmosphere of the place! Did they have a parrot near the bar when you were there? Thanks for the memories Cinemabon. The 35 was actually located on Indianola Ave. I went back there in '93 and the place looked exactly the same. But most of High Street had gone "high end", all the cheap dives I loved had vanished.

Re: I loved that place

Originally posted by cinemabon
    You could drink beer, eat popcorn, and see a film like "Treasure of Sierra Madre", for example. It was awesome! I spent many an hour there. I think it was on Summit. They had a double feature every night. I saw The Red Shoes, L'Avventura, Blow Up, Cries and Whispers, 8 1/2, Amarcord, Satyricon, Blow Up, and many, many, others.

I am so jealous it's not even funny
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456