Thread: BEST MOVIES OF 2021 (Lists)

Hybrid View

Did you get a chance to watch Benedetta? If so, did you review it?

Not that one, no. Also have still not seen from my watch list CMOON CMON or ANNETTE.
    Here's a list of the NYFF 2021 Main lSlate films I have and haven't reviewed: LIST.

Benedetta (Verhoeven) TRAILER

I watched Benedetta; I find all Paul Verhoeven films at least "worth-watching", maybe "must-sees". He is both an image maker (or stylist), and a master storyteller. Verhoeven has purely pictorial or aesthetic assets as well as narrative ones. Benedetta again provides plenty of evidence of the octogenerian director's skills and talents. However, I had a somewhat harrowing experience because it's unpleasant for me to witness acts of cruelty. There's plenty of torture and self-abuse as you probably figure from promotional materials. I'm glad I sat through it because the film provides ample rewards. I especially value the ambiguous characterization of the protagonist: I'm still making my mind up about who Benedetta really is.

I have reviewed THE BLACK BOOK (2007) TRICKED (2012), and ELLE (2018). BENEDETTA is not a priority. I'm still catching up on Pasolini!