THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD (Trier)
    THE CARD COUNTER (Schrader)
    KING RICHARD (Green)
    THE SOUVENIR: PART II (Hogg)
    UNDINE (Petzold)
    SPENCER (Larraín)
    THE DIG (Stone)
    WIFE OF A SPY (Kurosawa)

I took out THE DISCIPLE and BEGINNING because I saw them last year in the virtual NYFF. This is also true of UNDINE but I have a soft spot for Christian Petzold. I'm less excited about the ones at the end of the list, but that's natural, isn't it?
    I actually was a little disappointed by THE SOUVENIR: PART II, but I hugely enjoyed and admired PART I and the good feeling flows over. I'df like to rewatch them. Some of these mattered to me less than others, but all I think are good. I've reviewed them all.

Jan. 15, 2022.

I've now replaced ABOUT ENDLESSNESS (Andersson), which debuted in 2019 and showed here last Aprill, with Joachim Ttier's THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD, which I just saw the other day and loved. It debuted in July 2021 at Cannes and opens here Feb. 4. It is also a Best International Feature finalist that Variety listed two days ago as the top ranking of the 15 finalists. I'm holding my review for the US theatrical release date though. It seems Kristen Stewart has been "snubbed" in favor of Nicole Kidman for Best Actress; this commits me more strongly to SPENCER. Kidman deserves an Oscar for career achievement but BEING THE RICARDOS is a dull misfire and SPENCER a highly original picture.

NEON is a distributor that has made it onto my radar lately, with two Best International Feature contenders for 2022, FLEE and THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD, plus SPENCER.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-16-2022 at 01:27 AM.