Thread: NEW DIRECTORS/NEW FILMS 2022 (April 20-May 1, 2022)

Hybrid View

Other films in the series I watched:

HOT IN DAY, COLD AT NIGHT (Park Songyeol 2021)

This zero-budget Korean film adopts a kind of zen minimalism that teeters between dry irony and amateurish incompetence, making it hard to know what is intentional and what is incompetence. Depicts the difficulties over a short period of a couple short of funds. Short review by me, but I did not consider this film truly worthy of review.

The rest only give excerpts of other people's reviews as description:

DOS ESTACIONES (Juan Pablo González 2022)

The austere, dedicated woman runs a family tequila factory that is failing with stoical control. I failed to engage with the filmmaker's austere style. Admiringly described by Marya E. Gates of RogerEbert.com

SINGING IN THE WILDERNESS (Dongnan Chen 2021)

Doc about a Christian choir in the minority Miao ethnicity (related to the Hmong people) in the mountainous southern Yunnan province. Here also I failed to engage but provide quotes and a link to Neil Young's glowing Screen Daily review.

THE CATHEDRAL (Ricky D'Ambrose 2021)

The filmmaker provides an autobiography from birth to age 18 in a series of tebleaux focused on collective, family experiences. I found this film cold and off-putting and again failed to engage. I provide quotes from several sources and a trailer, which may provide you with all you need to know.

THE CITY AND THE CITY ( Christos Passalis, Syllas Tzoumerkas 2021)

Seeking to achieve a "kaleidoscopic chronicle," this documentary depicts pro-Nazi anti-Semitism in the filmmakers' hometown of Thessaloniki, scene of a film festival and a Greek port city on the Thermaic Gulf of the Aegean Sea. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that Presenting acts of anti-Semitic cruelty from the Nazi era in an "artistic," "experimental:" manner (shifts of language, B&W to color, reenactments to stock footage and stills) without any development of the abused people as real individuals seemed to me to partake of the worst qualities of the wrongdoers.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-20-2022 at 11:15 PM.

THE AFRICAN DESPERATE (Martine Syms 2022)

World premiere and Closing Night Film of 2022 New Directors/New Films is a very hip "hazy, alluring send-up of the art world" and of the MFA world and what it's like at art grad school nowadays, through a jaundiced eye. It stars Martine Syms' good friend the orange-haired Diamond Stingily as the cool lady who gets her MFA and parties all night before returning to Chicago.

Saturday, April 30
    6:00pm, FLC Walter Reade Theater (Q&A with Martine Syms)
    9:00pm, FLC Walter Reade Theater (Q&A with Martine Syms)
    Sunday, May 1
    2:45pm, MoMA T2 (Q&A with Martine Syms)

AND THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

THE AFRICAN DESPERATE (Martine Sims 2022)

Releases in theaters starting in NYC Sept. 16, 2022. Nationwide release follows. Also MUBI.