Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray thumbs

I don't use e-mail anymore. If you want to get a hold of me, facebook messenger is best.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I see, okay, I'll keep that in mind from now on.

I sent the email to you there instead.

THE INVASION (2007)

Tepid horror movie loosely based on "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".
    Directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel and starring Nicole Kidman & Daniel Craig.
    An alien virus creates a pandemic, whereby people's DNA is altered to turn them into quasi-zombies. Nicole Kidman basically runs around, panic-stricken, crying and shrieking, trying to protect her child. Jeffrey Wright also stars, and despite the acting talent this movie doesn't really go anywhere. There's maybe two legit scares in the whole film. The ending was ridiculous too; after being helicopter evacuated from a swarm of zombies, life is supposedly back to normal, with no further mention of them except in a news scrum with Wright. (?) Its left open to a sequel.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-18-2023 at 04:59 PM.

A shame. I admire Jeffrey Wright. I loved him in BASQUIAT. A charming picture of the Eighties art scene. I recommend it.
    Check your Facebook.
    I sent you a message that I tried to send as an email.

BASQUIAT is a fantastic film.
    NO FB message received....

I'll have to find your new account. How did you change them? Is it like Amazon?
    I see you did find my message. When I found your name on FB, the old account came up, apparently. Thank you for your support. I have no plans of retirement from reviewing. Watching movies is what I like to do! Some of us who traveled regularly have found it hard to get back into the groove after the shutdown periods from Covid. People didn't want to wear a mask for hours. Now very few do.
    Glad you like BASQUIAT - so brilliant, funny, and accurate, and about a very exciting time in contemporary art.

Masks are a pain in the ass, but necessary.
    BASQUIAT was a brilliant film about a brilliant artist. His paintings fetch a fortune.

Indeed never stop reviewing movies!! You're the go-to for many of us!

People are not wearing masks much anymore. I don't know about Canada. The infection rate is greatly reduced, but still someone said, 7% in NYC, whatever that means. Maybe less, maybe 3%, and decreasing. They wear them more in the San Francisco Bay Area than elsewhere in the US, apparently. Very little in NYC.
    I have books about Basquiat. I am a fan. Indeed his paintings do fetch a fortune. My fascination with him goes back 35 years. His genius is unique and a mystery.

NON-STOP (2014)

A great thriller from Jaume Collet-Serra. (UNKNOWN).
    Liam Neeson does what he does best, making great action movies.
    Here he plays Bill Marks, an alcoholic Federal Air Marshal.
    He boards a transatlantic flight and soon after gets cryptic messages over his secure federal account, demanding $150 million or people onboard will die.
    The twists and turns are fast and furious, with Bill killing a fellow air marshall, finding a bomb, the pilot mysteriously dying and all sorts of other dire scenarios.
    Riveting movie, not a dull moment.
    Co-starring Julianne Moore as a passenger who stands by Bill.

47 RONIN (2014)

I enjoyed this film from Carl Rinsch; lots to admire visually. The story isn't particularly engaging. I forgave that in lieu of splendid costumes and powerful production design.
    47 Samurai are banished to be Ronin, only to be led by a half-breed (Keanu Reeves).
    Reeves is Kai, a formidible fighter that the samurai treat well even tho he's not one of them.
    He's the only "name" actor in this movie, and I couldn't help but wonder what the Japanese think of this film. All english? With a white leader?! Just like the Last Samurai with Tom Cruise!
    Last edited by Johann; 03-19-2023 at 07:35 PM.

ENDER'S GAME (2013)

Gavin Hood adapted and directed this sci-fi spectacle, originally written by Orson Scott Card.
    Visually it's amazing but the story bites off more than it can chew.
    Keep your eyes on Asa Butterfield- he impresses as a gifted kid/cadet who's recruited by Harrison Ford to train for a future alien war. For a young man, Asa can really act his butt off. He's totally believable as "Ender" Wiggins. He's a leader with a conscience.
    Ben Kingsley also lends great weight to this busy movie.
    The real star of the show is the special effects, and I recommend it for that alone.
    I wish I could've seen this on the big screen- it was like Star Trek for kids.

SNOWPIERCER (2013)

This was an original take on the post-apocalyptic thriller by Korean Bong Joon-Ho.
    The earth has become a giant snowball due to climate change, and a train carrying the last remnants of humanity hurtles down a track that circles the globe. The third class or steerage passengers want to revolt, led by Chris Evans.
    The elites are at the front of the train, including Tilda Swinton and Ed Harris.
    John Hurt is in the rear with the gear...
    I appreciated the original concepts, but ultimately the movie bored me.
    I don't plan on seeing it again.

RED EYE (2005)

Directed by Wes Craven, this was a mildly entertaining thriller.
    Rachel McAdams stars as a rape survivor who works at a Miami hotel.
    She meets Cillian Murphy at the airport in Dallas, while waiting for her flight home.
    He seems charming, and they share a drink at the bar. She's surprised to learn he's seated next to her on the plane, and he quickly turns into a sinister S.O.B.
    He's involved in a plot to assassinate Homeland Security's top man, who happens to be staying at Rachel's hotel. This movie is tense, but not as entertaining as a similar film- Non-Stop with Liam Neeson. I can't say I cared about all the drama.

EX MACHINA (2014)

Helmed by Alex Garland, this won an Oscar for best visual effects.
    Domhnall Gleason plays Caleb Smith, a programmer at search engine "Blue Book".
    He wins a contest to visit the CEO at his swank home/retreat in the mountains.
    The CEO is Oscar Isaac (great actor!), and he's a narcissist who likes to drink.
    Caleb is introduced to a high-tech A.I. robot named Ava, we're told he's there to test her consciousness capabilities, but the CEO has other plans...
    I thought Ghost in the Shell was THE A.I. movie....Nope.
    It's EX MACHINA.
    Ava's abilities are astounding, and she behaves exactly like a real human.
    She's been compared to Frankenstein and HAL from 2001 by various reviewers.
    I say she's amazing, and her responses are more human than anyone could hope for.
    Great movie that sustains as an intellectual thriller until the end, when it becomes a slasher.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast