Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Blu-ray thumbs

You're right, I haven't seen the original Point Break.
    If I had, I might be more critical.
    And yes, there's not really much of a bromance going on with Bodhi and Utah in this new film.
    It has exciting moments and I enjoyed it for that and the exotic locales.

You can't access Filmeaf?
    I can't either, unless I make sure to click on the "remember me" box.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I just rewatched the first twenty minutes of the original POINT BREAK. Really one of my all-time favorite films. Kathryn Bigelow was the first woman to win the Academy Award for Best Director (for THE HURT LOCKER), and James Cameron's third wife and sometime collaborator. He cowrote her 1995 film STRAGE DAYS.
    Ever see NEAR DARK (1987)? It's the first thing by her I saw, with friends in Chicago, and I saw she was cool, could do great exciting stuff with genre.

She graduated from the San Francisco Art Institute, and started out as a painter. Her early life is interesting.
    For a while, Bigelow lived as an impoverished artist [in NYC], staying with painter Julian Schnabel in performance artist Vito Acconci's loft. She had a minor role in Richard Serra's video Prisoner's Dilemma (1974). Bigelow teamed up with Philip Glass on a real-estate venture in which they renovated distressed apartments downtown and sold them for a profit.
    Bigelow entered the graduate film program at Columbia University, where she studied theory and criticism and earned her master's degree. Her professors included Vito Acconci, Sylvère Lotringer, and Susan Sontag, as well as Andrew Sarris and Edward W. Said,
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 05-04-2023 at 06:07 PM.

I'll ask John if he has the original. He has The Hurt Locker (Which was great).
    Was Near Dark that vampire movie with Bill Paxton? I've seen that, but it's been a while.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Hope you can watch it.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415