Thread: Blu-ray thumbs

Hybrid View

THE HOBBIT: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Peter Jackson returned to the world of LORD OF THE RINGS with the Hobbit trilogy, and the first part is fine fantasy filmmaking. This time the focus is on Bilbo Baggins, 60 years previous to the Fellowship of the Ring.
    He’s writing his memoirs for Frodo, and his adventures are just as harrowing as Frodo’s.
    CGI aplenty here, and Gandalf returns and figures prominently.
    There are other familiar faces: Hugo Weaving and Cate Blanchett and the animated Gollum. (Andy Serkis).
    I enjoyed this movie.
    It’s long but doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-04-2023 at 02:56 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

THE HOBBIT: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

I have to admit, Tolkien's story and characters bamboozle me. So many wild names and places...
    That said, this part of THE HOBBIT was way better than the first.
    This was an amazing entertainment. If the giant spiders sequence doesn't impress you, then the dragon Smaug will. That dragon really steals the show. Smaug speaks english (?) and is rendered better than the dragons in Harry Potter.
    Orlando Bloom reprises his role as Legolas, and the elves figure prominently.
    Gandalf still has his role, as do all the dwarves accompanying Bilbo.
    This film looks so magnificent on blu-ray it's crazy. It was filmed in 3-D, and I'm sure seeing it that way would be optimal.
    I have nothing but praise. I was wowed. Peter Jackson's passion is clearly evident.

THE HOBBIT: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

The final part of The Hobbit is epic indeed.
    The opening sequence is spectacular, involving Smaug wreaking havoc and being killed.
    Bravo to Peter Jackson and his creative teams for having the vision and wherewithal to actually make these amazing films. He really achieved greatness here, as he did with the LOTR trilogy.
    For all the swordplay, war and violence onscreen there is very little blood.
    The good guys win in the end, but not before facing formidible enemies and taking heavy losses.
    Legolas really gets to do some Heroic stuff, and the dwarves prove their mettle...
    Hugo Weaving and Cate Blanchett are back, and so is a great Christopher Lee.
    Excellent movie.
    I get my fantasy fix from Harry Potter, so I won't be buying these on blu-ray but they come highly recommended.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

I could see how someone could make the case that this is a bad movie, even a bad fairy tale.
    I personally think it's a masterpiece. I should already own this on blu-ray but I don't.
    I'm waiting for the Criterion version.
    Steven Spielberg (saviour of cinema that he is) thankfully made this in tribute to his friend Stanley Kubrick.
    It tells us the odyssey of a robot child, in a world where humans and machines are on the brink of civil war.
    It looks gorgeous on blu-ray and it's my favorite Spielberg.
    Dazzling vision, unique sfx and sets, and solid acting from all involved.
    I think Stanley would have been pleased, as Steven used the bulk of his original screenplay and added hundreds of accentuations.
    Odd film in Spielberg's canon, a one-off, like Minority Report. I love it and always will.
    There's enough Kubrick in it to feel the Master.

HERCULES (2014)

This was a nice surprise. I didn't have much faith in this when I saw the dvd cover, but it was surprisingly good, starring The Rock, Dwayne Johnson.
    It turned out to be a decent epic.
    Directed by Brett Ratner (Rush Hour), this was the exploits of half man/half god Son of Zeus.
    Good battle scenes and CGI coupled with great supporting acting from the great John Hurt, Ian McShane and Joseph Fiennes make this very entertaining.
    The Rock is a tad wooden, but he looks the part and he's believable as Hercules.

WINDTALKERS (2002)

Excellent war film from John Woo.
    In WW2 the Americans secured victory on Saipan with help from Navajo radio code breakers.
    Their code was never broken, and they called themselves "windtalkers".
    Nicolas Cage is Sgt. Joe Enders, in charge of two such Najavo radio men.
    We see them in action in very realistic and intense battle scenes- I was impressed.
    A young Mark Ruffalo is also part of Enders' Marine squad.
    Highly recommended movie based on true events.
    Last edited by Johann; 03-06-2023 at 02:03 PM.

LORD OF WAR (2005)

Andrew Nicchol directs Nicolas Cage and Jared Leto in this wild movie about the arms trade.
    I can't say I endorse anything onscreen, but it highlights the truth.
    Weapons deals happen every day, and the five countries that are tops in weapons dealing are the top five permanent members of the security council! Fact.
    AK-47's, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, Uzi's, M16's, bombs and rockets and bullets are all for sale here, coupled with copious amounts of cocaine.
    Crazy movie. Well made, well performed.