Thread: Blu-ray thumbs

Hybrid View

THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND (2006)

Damn good film by Kevin Macdonald.
    Forest Whitaker won a well-deserved Oscar for his portrayal of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin.
    James McAvoy plays a Scottish doctor named Nicolas who goes to Uganda to make a difference. He just so happens to be there during a coup, when Amin becomes President.
    After meeting him to bandage his broken hand, Nicolas soon becomes Amin's closest advisor.
    This is not good at all, because Amin logarythmically becomes a total madman. His regime ultimately kills 300,000 Ugandans. Powerful movie with a powerhouse performance from Whitaker.
    Last edited by Johann; 04-26-2023 at 11:08 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Indeed it is a damn good movie. I wrote about it here at the time and said while the grainy newsreel look was undistinguished, both Whittiker and McAvoy were outstanding. The portrait of a crazy guy is a bit over the top - and this director previously made docs -
    Whitaker usually plays soft spoken, sensitive types. This time he nails a range from fearful to seductive to terrifying, connecting them with a seamlessly explosive energy. One would say Whitaker is this picture, except that it’s unmistakably also young McAvoy’s.

When documentarians embroider the truth, sometimes they go off way too far. But this is not unusual: l: a great performance in a less-than-great movie. We have to take what we can get, and in The Last King of Scotland we get a very wild ride.
    http://www.filmleaf.net/showthread.p...5980#post15980
    I saw this movie while feasting on new films in NYC and had a really memorable time.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-26-2023 at 10:05 AM.

Great!

Yes this movie is a wild ride, and a must-see.
    Not a dull moment. Whitaker's acting is truly amazing, and yes, he shares billing with McAvoy who holds his own. The movie nails the urgency to get the F out of Uganda during Amin's rule. There are gruesome images here-Nicolas is strung up with meat hooks at one point-you've been warned.
    Last edited by Johann; 04-26-2023 at 11:13 AM.

JANE GOT A GUN (2016)

Great little western directed by Gavin O'Connor (WARRIOR).
    Starring Natalie Portman as Jane (and she also produced!).
    Her hubby Ham stumbles home after being shot multiple times, and he warns her that the John Bishop gang are coming to finish him off. Bishop is played by Ewan McGregor, and this was as close as he's ever got to disappearing in a role.
    His gang is indeed out for blood, and Jane enlists the help of a former lover (a fantastic Joel Egerton, who also co-wrote the script).
    This was surprisingly gritty and great. Westerns don't really interest me but this one did.
    They still make decent ones from time to time...

MUD (2012)

Written and directed by Jeff Nichols, this was a great coming-of-age tale.
    Matthew McConnaughey is Mud, a fugitive hiding out on an island on the Mississippi river.
    He's discovered by two 14-year-old boys sleeping in a boat in a tree that they found.
    Mud spins yarns about how he's on the run because he had to kill a man to protect his girlfriend Juniper (Reese Witherspoon). He's eventually got the boys running errands for him, buying food and getting items to help eventually launch his boat. A lot happens in this movie, and it's all interesting.
    The family of the killed man want revenge, the boys are warned to stay away from Mud (they don't), and it all leads to a surprise ending. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Johann; 04-27-2023 at 08:19 AM.

I saw it and reviewed it and here is my review:
    MUD (Mike Nichols )

Among other things I point out it's a great role for Matthew McConaughey, and I quote a great description by Mike D'Angelo at Cannes of the character he plays. Tye Sheridan has "emerged as one of Hollywood's most sougth after young talents."

Your review nails the movie. You're right- the movie isn't even about McConnaughey.