Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray thumbs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    You can watch UNE FEMME INFIDÈLE free right now on YouTube.
    I did just that. I understood everything without subtitles. Masterful movie!
    It would look really great on blu-ray if they remastered picture and sound.
    Unfaithful followed it quite closely, although he wasn’t killed with a snow globe- it was an Egyptian bust. He was tipped off by the big Zippo lighter….
    He didn’t dispose of the body in a landfill. It was a bog.
    I sensed some Hitchcock in the Chabrol. Glad to have seen it. Thank you Chris.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I'm delighted that you watched it without subtitles and followed it perfectly. I love watching French films in Paris, of course without subtitles, and though I've studied French seemingly forever I often don't understand the dialogue but follow the movies nonetheless. The language of cinema. Of course you could follow the Chabrol also because you'd seen it - the Lyne version. I forgot Lyne is responsible for such gems as FLASH DANCE, 91/2 WEEKS, FATAL ATTRACTION, and the Jeremy Irons version of LOLITA (not the good, Kubrick, one). I watched only a couple of quick hits of the Chabrol film so far but saw Hitchcock in it right a way.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 10-19-2022 at 10:59 PM.

THE GRADUATE (1967)

This is a classic Mike Nichols film.
    Who hasn’t heard of The Graduate?
    Dustin Hoffman is Ben, who just graduated college and is worried about his future. He gets seduced by an older woman (Anne Bancroft) and makes a comment that he should date her daughter, Elaine. Mrs. Robinson forbids it. He dates her anyway.
    Conflict ensues when Elaine is coerced into marrying someone else.
    Ben storms the wedding.
    Great soundtrack with Simon and Garfunkel songs.

THE GANGSTER (2012)

This movie has some panache, but I felt it was ultimately disposable.
    Quentin Tarantino would probably like it.
    It’s “Gangs of Bangkok”, set in the 50’s.
    There’s stylized violence, rape and gore.
    The characters don’t like their lifestyle, but know nothing else.
    Illegal rackets, protection money and movies are their daily activities.
    They love rock and roll and Elvis, so that’s amusing.
    I felt there wasn’t enough here to make it a cult hit or even a hit.

GHOST IN THE SHELL (2017)

I’ve seen the 1995 anime film, which is a masterpiece. This live-action adaptation directed by Rupert Sanders is very good, one of my personal favourites.
    Scarlet Johannsen stars as Major (Killian), a cyborg super soldier.
    She goes on a quest to find her past, which was stolen from her.
    Her body isn’t her own- only her brain. This is the true A.I. film to me, with top-notch CGI and amazing visuals. Major is more than human, more than A.I., as Juliette Binoche’s character tells us… Her “ghost” or soul, survived the corporate creation.
    I can’t recommend this movie enough. There’s even a spectacular finale with a Spider-Tank.

TERMINATOR SALVATION (2009)

I just bought this McG Director’s Cut.
    My favourite Terminator movie. Wall to wall action, this has everything you want in a Terminator flick. Christian Bale was in the middle of making The Dark Knight trilogy when he signed on to play John Connor. Sam Worthington provides great support as Marcus.
    The action is great, the story moves at a good clip, and there’s no Arnold! He’s only seen Very briefly. Highly recommended.

NOAH (2014)

I call this a masterpiece, even though many may disagree.
    Darren Aronofsky gives us a modern biblical epic, and its glorious.
    A perfect cast and fine acting stand out, especially from Ray Winstone and Jennifer Connelly.
    Critics and bible scholars will take issue with the creative liberties- the Watchers, referring to God as the Creator, the look of the ark itself.
    The ark was built with no frills, except for a woodstove. It was designed to float, nothing more.
    It's a raft with a roof.
    Russell Crowe is fine as Noah. He's steadfast, is unsure from time to time. I was expecting God to talk to him, but it didn't happen. He's guided on what to do thru dreams and miracles.
    I loved every minute of this movie. It will make you think.

I've never liked Aronofsky, not even his critical successes, and this isn't particularly one. Read my review, if you feel like it. If you don't make it to the end you may still like the part about the shorter "Christian friendlier" studio cuts that got abandoned for the director's cut.

Darren Aronofsky's greatest "critical success" is THE TERRITORY, which he produced, the great doc about the Amazon by Alex Pritz that came out this summer and is I think one of the best movies of the year. Another critical hit he produced: JACKIE. He also produced THE FIGHTER, which you commented on recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    NOAH (2014)
    I call this a masterpiece, even though many may disagree.
    Maybe many will not think it's a masterpiece but this movie got ONLY one negative review out of 45 (metacritic). It's got some very favorable reviews by serious, veteran critics like Scoot Foundas, Richard Corliss, Todd McCarthy, etc.

You're absolutely right. I may have overstated the negativity of the critical response. It was mixed. There were some top critics who liked it. But many were a bit on the "meh" side apparently to result in an overall estimate of 68%.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 10-27-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Your review is great Chris. It’s an accurate report.
    The only part of the movie that seemed preposterous was the Watchers, or rock monsters.
    That was tree-beard Lord of the Rings-type shit.
    Overall the movie works. It’s dramatic when it has to be and it makes you think of God and how He operates.

IN THE NAME OF THE KING (2007)

This is the second Uwe Boll film I’ve seen, after Bloodrayne: The Third Reich.
    He is a schlockmeister, with low production values, terrible acting and laughable plots.
    When this movie began I thought it might be good: Jason Statham and Ron Perlman are actors of some repute, the visuals weren’t bad and there was a glimmer of a promise that the action would pay off in spades. Alas, it was not to be.
    As the story plodded on it became clear that this was a bad movie.
    Leelee Sobieski, Ray Liotta and a totally ridiculous Burt Reynolds round out the cast of this bomb.
    The “Krug” ripped off the Orcs from Lord of the Rings!

Your review is great Chris. It’s an accurate report.
    Thanks.
    Aronofsky is a discussable director. Much argument there. I decidedly dislike his bents. Not simpatico. The celebrated dance film BLACK SWAN I hated. As I said before he tends to turn everything into a horror movie (not Noah, but Mother). Oh how I hated REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, and I am sure I shall hate WHALE. PI was okay. THE WRESTLER had its points.

Noah is my favourite Aronofsky, hands down
    I enjoyed The Wrestler, Jackie and Black Swan.
    I didn’t like Requiem for a Dream.
    He seems to go for the sensational, while trying to be “art”…..

RANGO (2011)

Hoo Boy, I must be in the minority because I didn’t like Rango.
    I didn’t laugh once.
    Johnny Depp voices a lost chameleon. The animation is decent enough, but everything feels forced and lame.
    Depp is truly cartoonish with his voice work. I wasn’t buying it.
    I can’t see children loving this and I’m amazed it won the Oscar for best animated feature.
    Thumbs down, Mang.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast