Thread: Cannes 2003

Cannes 2003

As I'm sure everyone knows, the Cannes Film Festival is in full swing. I would kill to be in attendance. Why?

-Part I of Greenaway's Tulse Luper trilogy is being unveiled. It's called THE MOAB STORY.

-Ozon, Wenders, Blier, Ruiz, Tachine, Babenco, van Sant, Arcand and the other Kurosawa (Kiyoshi) all have films premiering.

-Vincent Gallo is premiering his new film "The Brown Bunny". His Buffalo 66 blew me 'ed off...

-they are showing classics by Renoir, Curtiz, Bunuel, Lindsay Anderson and Pasolini.

The jury has some interesting members: Meg Ryan (does she know what a good film is?), Steven Soderbergh, and Bollywood starlet Aishwarya Rai (from the mega-hit DEVDAS)

It'll be interesting to see who get top honors at the only festival that REALLY matters :)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

THE 56th CANNES FILM FESTIVAL

Three double winners.

Elephant directed by Gus Van Sant (To Die For, Drugstore Cowboy). Shot in Portland with non-actors and inspired by the Columbine incident. Winner of the Palme d'Or and Best Director.

Uzak from Turkey won the Grand Jury Prize and Best Actor.

The Barbarian Invasion from Canadian director Denis Arcand won Best Screenplay and Best Actress for Marie-Jose Croze.

Five in the Afternoon by Samira Makhmalbaf (The Apple, Blackboards) won the Jury Prize. The Iranian director dissed George W. in her brief speech.

Audience Ovations and Critic Raves

The Brazilian film Carandiru directed by Hector Babenco (Pixote, Kiss of the Spider Woman).
    Clint Eastwood's Mystic River with Sean Penn, Lawrence Fishburne, Kevin Bacon.
    Lars Von Trier's Dogville.
    Ozon's Swimming Pool, a thriller with Charlotte Rampling with a July release date in North America.
    Journey to Jerusalem and Errol Morris' doc Fog of War

Boos

Bertrand Blier's The Cutlet.
    Many critics said that The Brown Bunny was the worst film EVER shown at Cannes. Audiences booed angrily at every screening. The film was written, edited, produced, and directed by Vincent Gallo. Mr. Gallo gave a press conference to apologize and said his film is "horrible".

AWWW..

That's so sad about THE BROWN BUNNY. I don't know how Gallo could make a film that sucked... He apologized, huh?

wow. Maybe he was joking.......

Soiled Bunny

According to World Entertainment News Network:
    Chloe Sevigny, who performs fellatio on Gallo in a 10 minute scene, says she does not regret being part of the panned project.

According to MSNBC:
    "It is a disaster of a film. It was a waste of time. I apologize to the financiers, but it was never my intention to make a self-indulgent film, a useless film. I'll never make another movie again. I mean it"
    Vincent Gallo.

Knowing what I know about Vince, he is serious.

I still want to see the movie-it's now in the
    "morbidly fascinating" category of Showgirls, Heaven's Gate and Gilliam's Don Quixote attempt..

I only made it through the whole of Heaven's Gate with the invaluable help of captions and gallons of coca-cola. The parroting of dialogue from one character to another induced the most stress I've ever had watching a film. I nodded off once or twice-only to wake up and say " It's still on "?