I Am Trying To Break Your Heart (***1/2)
review by Ken Gumbs of FilmBrats

For the life of me I donft know why this film is called I Am Trying To Break Your Heart. Sure it is the opening track to Wilcofs
critically accalimed album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but I donft believe it applies here. If rookie director Sam Jones is trying to break our hearts with his documentary about Chicago rockers Wilco, then he fails...but in a good way.

Wilco is a band. A good band. A band that made a good album. But in a world of corporate ownership of record companies,
great albums donft always get the respect they deserve. There is no better example, than Wilcofs release from former record label Reprise Records. To me, that is what this film is really about. Can art still survive in a corporate world? A question that seems to be answered with a resounding, 'yes' in this film. Wilco gets to keep their record and sell it to another record label for three times as much as they were originally offered.

Ironically, the later record label is owned by the same media conglomerate as Reprise Records. So little guys from Chicago do good. They get to release their album, keep their integrity, and actually get away with a couple bucks in their pockets. My heart is far from broken with that story.

The central focus of the film is the recording and release of Wilcofs Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. When were not in and out of studios and record company offices, we get to see some interesting personal moments of the band. Lead singer Jeff Tweedy takes the role of star in this film, if you can name just one star. We see the full spectrum of Jeff Tweedy, everything from playing with his children to vomiting in a bathroom due to a case of chronic nausea. Another touching moment was during the recording sessions. Guitarist Jay Bennet insisted to add another guitar track to a new song. Jeff Tweedy tells him eI think
two guitars have become obsoletef. Bennet replies by saying eWell, I donft know how to take thatf. With that simple exchange of words we see the beginning of the end of a collaboration and an end of a friendship. Bennet is later asked to leave the band.

For a directorial debut, I take my hat off to Sam Jones. I have to admit that I wished I could have seen more. More initial
reactions from band members after they were dropped from their label. More fighting between band members. Too often we are forced to simply watch the band tell us the story through interview. Now, I can understand that is difficult to ask a director to be at all the right places at the right times during a documentary, but, with such a compelling story and such beautiful filmmaking I was hoping for a perfect film. Instead, I ended up with just your run-of-the-mill great film. Hey, my heartfs still not broken.