Thread: Black metal in movies...

Black metal in movies...

Being a musician, as well as a graphic designer and film buff, I'm into practically every type of music out there. I've noticed a variety of movies that seem to explore the trends in music of the time... "Singles" took place in the midst of grunge. "Spinal Tap" and "Rock Star" show the hair metal trend. "Almost Famous" and "Still Crazy" focus on '70's rock (or rather "Still Crazy" was about '70's rock's comeback). And "Sid and Nancy" was about the punk era. These are just a few examples, since there are plenty of movies that focus on the musical trends of a certain period of time, but I have yet to see a movie that either takes place or focuses on the black metal and/or death metal movement.

I'm a fan of some black and death, and I'll be the first to admit that it's totally non-mainstream and quite a fair share of it is ridiculous, annoying, and even offensive. Hell, sometimes it's even funny. But at the same time, I think there's a lot to be said for some of the bands in that genre of music. Some were into raw intensity and evil, while others were more interested in songwriting and making music, and some were just outright brilliant musicians with skills comparable to classical composers. I think the genre deserves a little bit of respect, and it seems a bit strange to me that a genre of music with such controversy surrounding it has not been done as a movie of some sort, especially the Norwegian black metal period. Church burnings, teenage Satanists, murders, grave desecrations, sure it would be a gore fest, and probably a movie that would frighten and offend, but...come on! We do films and TV movies about Jack the Ripper and Jeffrey Dahmer. Why not a movie about Euronymous and Varg Vikernes? There's certainly been enough written about both of them from both points of view. It seems like it'd be a good movie.

Just a thought. Seemed a bit weird that of all the genres of music that seem to have some kind of accompanying movie to it, black metal and death metal seem to be left untouched. Maybe rightly so, but...I'd still watch it. *shrug*

This is pretty interesting. I'd like to see something like this too. Well, the closest I can get are Danzig's uncensored music videos, some involving grotesque penis mutilations.

Actually it has nothing to do with what you want, though. I'm sure something will come around eventually.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

Black Metal In Movies...

Metal music to me is the finest music around bar none it`s been like this sinse 1990 i`m 25 just so as you know :).

Varg Vikernes knifing Euronymous 6 times in the neck and 17 times in the back, who does he think he is Michael Myers :).

but to be serious for a second you have a point there about the black metal music is does have talented musicians in the scene and it does deserve more reconistion if you ask me.

Evenfall
    Dimmu Borgir
    Immortal
    Emperor
    Borknagar
    Raventhrone
    Thy Serpent
    Cradle Of Filth
    Children Of Bodom
    Darkthrone
    Carpathian Forrest

to name but a few of the bands that kick arse big time, there are to many soundtracks out there that are full of jobby/sh*t, there are not enough metal sound tracks which is great for action movies and i`m not talking about nu-metal which should just crawl off and die i`m talking about real metal.

i listen to nothing but metal have done so sinse 1990 and will continue to do so (`for all tid`).

so i`ll await a reply if you wish to leave one and i`ll leave you now with a quote from a metal band take a guess as to who it is :).

``lay down your souls to the gods of rock and roll, black f***ing metal !!!!!!!!!!!``.
    Last edited by Trachtenberg; 11-26-2003 at 08:59 PM.
    Those Who Tresspass Against Us...
    Beware The Shadows Of Dusk.

VENOM!!!

You've made my day, hehe!

black metal in movies...

[Ilker81x]

glad to be of service :), Still Crazy was a funny movie dont you think especially the singer dressed as ozzy and falling into the canal and just as you think he`s drowned under the ice all you see is a platformed shoe crashing through the ice :).

the rock star movie was good for the first hour or so then it went down hill (*my opinion only*), almost famous was good but the lovely Kate Hudson was great :).

all these movies that have heavy sound tracks to them,
    resident evil (which was sh*t as was the film the only good song on it was rammstein`s halilujah which was kick arse stuff),

last action hero (this had a couple of good songs on it - Anthrax`s poison my eyes, megadeth`s angry again),

rock star (the following songs were good: long live rock and roll, blood pollution, living the life, ok there was one or two more that were good :) ),

so do you like any of the bands i mentioned in that last message i left (see above) ?.

how long have you been into black f***ing metal !!!!!!!!!!!! ? :).

bye for now...Michelle Trachtenberg`s #1 fan.
    Those Who Tresspass Against Us...
    Beware The Shadows Of Dusk.

I haven't been into black metal that long, but for a coupla years now. I started with Emperor (who is still my favorite) and worked my way back to Venom, Bathory, Mercyful Fate, and King Diamond, and eventually forward again to the Norwegian bands like Immortal (love 'em), Mayhem, Darkthrone, and Dimmu Borgir. Those are my faves in that scene, but I'm always listening to music. I'm not into it for the Satanism or the Evil, I love the music. I think the scene does have an abundance of great musicians.

Either way, it just seems like it'd make an interesting movie, if anybody tried to make it.