Thread: Best movies of 2023

Hybrid View

THE BEST (my favorites) FILMS (anything audiovisual) OF 2023 (or 2022, who cares? They're all recent films)

CLOSE YOUR EYES (Victor Erice)
    PACIFICTION (Albert Serra)
    KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON (Martin Scorsese)
    PAST LIVES (Celine Song)
    POOR THINGS (Yorgos Lanthimos)
    THE FABRIC OF THE HUMAN BODY (Lucien Castaing-Taylor)
    SAINT OMER (Alice Diop)
    MAY DECEMBER (Todd Haynes)
    EUREKA (Lisandro Alonso)
    FALLEN LEAVES (Aki Kaurismaki)

THE BOY AND THE HERON (Hiyao Miyazaki)
    PINOCCHIO (Guillermo del Toro)
    BARBIE (Greta Gerwig)
    OPPENHEIMER (Christopher Nolan)
    ASTEROID CITY (Wes Anderson)
    AMERICAN FICTION (Cord Jefferson)
    MAESTRO (Bradley Cooper)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, OSCAR!

You seem to be earlier this year with your list, and more mainstream perhaps.

"2022, who cares? They're all recent films)." Well, actually we may care if this is a game and we play by the rules. But I think only PACIFICTION and PINOCCHOIO are from last year, among your choices.

There are many on your list that I strongly agree on and nearly all I can understand. Nothing eccentric.

I see something very personal in your choices of CLOSE YOUR EYES and PACIFICTION, the Érice being a discovery for me of this year's NYFF and the Serra being one championed last year by my longtime Lincoln Center screening companion Kurt Brokaw, who wrote a lot about it in The Independent, in his piece there about the 2022 NYFF, and I understand its offbeat charm. It's so much more interesting a role for Benoit Magimel than France's "stupid" choice (the Oscar Expert bro's word) for Oscar submission of THE TASTE OF THINGS, when the bro's and I would strongly agree that Justine Triet's ANATOMY OF A FALL should have been chosen as France's Best International Feature submission.

I love MAESTRO, PAST LIVES, POOR THINGS, and OPPENHEIMER - as do many other people. I can't go along on Scorsese's KILLERS and Haynes' MAY DECEMBER (both NYFF 2023 Main Slate choices), and, though normally a Wes fan, couldn't get on board with ASTEROID CITY either. All three I found disappointing; MAY DECMBER I didn't quite get. This is a problem others share, which, along with the unappealingness of the two female characters, the Oscar Expert bro's think may harm its awards chances.

In his annual list Mike D'Angelo (see below) lists FALLEN LEAVES as the year's "most overrated" and I agree. Not that there's anything at all wrong with the film but it's just slightly below-par Kaurismaaki. It seems to me obvious that people should instead have chosen the similarly titled ABOUT DRY GRASSES, Nuri Bilge Ceylan's much better film.

Despite its bevy of French César awards, SAINT OMER was a slog. The Miyasaki seemed to me not up to his best and chosen on so many best lists mostly out of respect for the filmmaker, an emeritus award. PINOCCHIO I haven't seen. I'm not a huge fan of Guillermo Del Toro. But I passed on it already last year.

I didn't personally adore BARBIE but get that it's significant and plan to rewatch it. I eagerly awaited AMERICAN FICTION but was hoping for a little more. EUREKA other journalists at this year's NYFF thought below par for the director, flawed. The Lucien Castaing Taylor (De humani corporis fabrica the original title) I can't watch right now - I have a bad cold. That's my excuse. We'll see. It was one among several 2023 NYFF Main Slate films that, due to their new overlapping scheduling, I was forced to miss, which included Hamaguchi's EVIL DOES NOT EXIST; Breillat's LAST SUMMER, Hong Sang-soo's IN WATER, and Raven Jackson's debut ALL DIRT ROADS TASTE OF SALT, which I should see. Previously when I had access to the press screenings if one had the time, which I did, one could see all the Main Slate, which now one can't. There are also more Main Slate films.

What about Rodrigo Moreno's THE DELINQUENTS, from Argentina, also NYFF, which I wanted to like but lost me, but a friend strongly defended. Have you seen it?
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-02-2024 at 12:43 AM.

MIKE D'ANGELO'S YEAR IN REVIEW "TOP TEN" (on Patreon)

The Year in Review
    MIKE D'ANGELO

[ALL COMMENTARY BELOW IS MIKE'S, FROM HIS WEBSITE]
    No new information here for those who regularly check my site, where I maintain a running list (albeit organized by year of premiere rather than year of U.S. release) all year long. But I like to formally weigh in at this time, even though I'll spend much of January catching up with a handful of probably-not-my-thing titles, including but not necessarily limited to Maestro, Ferrari, Origin, Occupied City, The Boy and the Heron, The Crime Is Mine, The Color Purple, American Fiction, and (for some reason; you can see I've been dragging my feet) Napoleon. Final film that seemed a likely contender for my list was The Zone of Interest, which I drove down to see in L.A. on New Year's Eve; I have many thoughts, which are forthcoming, but you shan't find it below. Nor will you find many of the usual suspects—I've never exactly been Mr. Consensus, but 2023 represents a break from my peers more pronounced than any I can previously recall, culminating in a #1 that virtually nobody else cares about. Indeed, at this writing I've concatenated the top 10 lists of more than 40 critics, and three of my top four films (it was the top three period before Poor Things got bumped up a spot) have appeared on literally none of them, not a one. I do not set out to be this way, believe me. I just think y'all are wrong about what's great, even more than usual. "Jury's still out," I wrote in this space last year, "on whether the recent paucity of movies that genuinely excite me [...] reflects pandemic tribulations or just a general shift away from the sort of fearsomely complex, arguably 'problematic' character study I tend to favor"; it's now pretty clear that it's the latter, and who knows whether that'll shift over my remaining lifetime.

Anyway, here's where things stand as the calendar turns. It's my "polls" list, including some films that premiered at festivals last year but are Skandie-eligible this year. Oh, and I'm starting at the bottom, even though there's zero suspense for many of you, because dammit that's how this should work when the list is meant to be read rather than merely browsed.

10. Showing Up (Kelly Reichardt, USA)

Everybody loves that film! you point out. And indeed they do, but I don't want it here (which is true of every film up to #5; none of them would have made the cut as recently as 2018 or 2019). Perfect example of solidly good work that just doesn't excite me in any respect, though I really admire how unsympathetic and sometimes downright annoying Michelle Williams makes Lizzy. Like another title on the list, Showing Up is one I'm gonna watch again soon, hoping it'll catch fire this time. (That happened with TÁR last year. Went from 68/100 to 79/100 when I took a second gander.)

9. Anatomy of a Fall (Justine Triet, France)

And here's that other title now. Again, no significant complaints—I just wasn't wowed the way that so many others have been, possibly because it feels more conventionally case-of-the-week to me than does its titularly acknowledged inspiration, Anatomy of a Murder. Only the flashback to Samuel's secret recording of his furious argument with Sandra transcended a baseline of keen interest and threatened to shake me up a bit, and then that didn't prove as instrumental as I'd have liked. Maybe I'll get more invested in Daniel, their son, upon a second viewing. You really need to.

8. The Five Devils/Les cinq diables (Léa Mysius, France)

Give it up for the 2022 Quinzaine, which I only just realized served as the world premiere for no fewer than four of the films on this list. From a purely narrative standpoint, this was perhaps the most interesting (if definitely not the most successful) fantasy-centric picture I've seen in some time, with a conception of "time travel"—those are some pronounced scare quotes, which you'll understand if you've seen it—that truly caught me off guard. Its spell has lingered. Skandies voters: Please strongly consider Sally Dramé (who plays the child) for your Actress ballot.

7. De humani corporis fabrica (Véréna Paravel & Lucien Castaing-Taylor, France/Switzerland/USA)

Another Fortnight '22 premiere. I'm not bothered by surgery unless the patient is both conscious and experiencing pain, so didn't have to steel my way through this duo's latest experimental doc; indeed, had it been all surgery all the time—omitting lengthy sequences in the dementia ward that just didn't feel of a piece with everything else—it'd likely be in my top five somewhere. Just this minute realized that I should maybe add "dropped suction tube" to my Best Scene shortlist, though I'll have to double-check whether that qualifies as a scene and not just a darkly hilarious moment.

6. The Royal Hotel (Kitty Green, Australia/UK)

Far and away the film I'm most surprised to find on this list, as I thought The Assistant wildly overrated. There's a lot more fascinating self-interrogation here, thanks to the contrast between Hanna and Liv; mostly, though, I just spent the entire movie with my stomach tied in knots, awaiting the seemingly inevitable violence that sort of does arrive but also sort of doesn't, quite? It's an amazing tonal balancing act that Green inexplicably chose to ruin with a spectacularly misguided finale (especially the final shot). Still, I got rattled, and Scorsese didn't manage that.

5. White Noise (Noah Baumbach, USA)

This was last year's #5, but I'm leaving it here because everyone was wrong about it.

5. The Apartment With Two Women (Kim Se-in, South Korea)

Arguably a cheat, as it hasn't been released in the U.S.; I don't anticipate that it ever will be, though, and it's Skandie-eligible, and my list desperately needs it, so here it is. As I noted in my review, Two Women Wearing the Same Underwear (as its Korean title roughly translates) better captures the flavor of this insanely volatile mother-daughter relationship/feud/codependence, which plays like the human equivalent of mutually assured destruction. Imagine one of those Shirley MacLaine mom movies (Terms of Endearment, Postcards From the Edge), but so Korean.

(Here's where we finally reach films that I legitimately love. Cue copious weeping from Bilge Ebiri, who probably legitimately loved at least 40 films last year.)

4. in water (Hong Sangsoo, South Korea)

Guess I'm a sucker for formal gimmickry—I like Woo's Silent Night better than most (though not enough for it to be here), and was captivated by Hong's hour-long portrait of anhedonia, visually represented by images that are never quite in focus and are sometimes wildly out of focus. The most extreme shots are beautiful to me in the same way as are Almereyda's PixelVision films, and what's going on emotionally somehow managed to sneak up on me the second time as well as the first. Best "snap out of it" since Moonstruck—this one, as recounted after the fact, haunts me.

3. Poor Things (Yorgos Lanthimos, Ireland/UK/US)

Not sure I've ever identified as strongly with a movie character as I do when Bella suddenly announces "I must go punch that baby." She's a magnificent creation (literally), encompassing every stage of human development refracted through the twin lenses of "sugar and violence," as she describes her solo adventure in Gorgeously Fake Lisbon. I'm not keen on much from the wedding to the ending, and feel as if that stretch creates a false impression of the whole, but will give the final word to Madame Swiney: "We must experience everything. Not just the good, but degradation, horror, sadness. This makes us whole, Bella. Makes us people of substance, not flighty untouched children." Artistically speaking, at least, amen.

(Also upon reflection I may give Mark Ruffalo 30 Skandie points just for the way he says "Mmm, well..." when Bella asks whether the refractory period is a physiological weakness in men.)

2. Enys Men (Mark Jenkin, UK)

It's not a horror film! So long as you're not expecting to be frightened (you won't be), there's at least a chance that you'll be able to get on Enys Men's hypnotic wavelength, which comes as close to pure filmmaking as any picture I saw last year. By which I mean that close to 100% of its impact derives from composition, shot duration and editing rhythm, at all of which Jenkin excels. I quite liked Bait as a formal exercise but never got involved in its familiar village-tension narrative; applying the same style to something mysterious and inscrutable pays enormous dividends.

1. Falcon Lake (Charlotte Le Bon, France/Canada)

I'm a bit scared to watch this again, for fear that it'll be revealed as ordinary, just another coming-of-age story (with a tragic element). Virtually nobody else cares—Falcon Lake is absent not merely from the year-end awards conversation but from any conversation at all within my own earshot—so did I somehow imagine that Le Bon, making her first feature, demonstrates an uncanny emotional sensitivity and a quietly arresting visual assurance? Watched the entire film with a growing sense of hushed awe, and then the ending—not what happens, but specifically how it's orchestrated, and the way that it creates an overpowering retroactive sadness—knocked me right the fuck out. The only 2023 release that I'd call truly great. Skandies voters who haven't seen it are directed to Theo's 2022 list, where it sits at #5; I won't spoil Daniel Waters' list, to which I was given a sneak preview, but can tell you that he has it even higher. Not just me. But mostly just me.

Now for the old-school A.V. Club bonus categories, excepting Outlier (a film on your list but nobody else's), which I can't know. Almost certainly would've been Falcon Lake, which would have made it my first #1 Outlier.

Most overrated: Fallen Leaves

I should note that last year I had Aftersun here, and then liked that film a whole lot more on second viewing (though still less than most people). Could happen again. I chose Kaurismäki's film not because I disliked it (rating 59/100, solid B-) but because the praise for it seems to me so bizarrely disproportionate to its very modest virtues. Yeah, Aki's films are always "minor," by design, but the dude's alcoholism here is a simple romantic obstacle that winds up being just as simply resolved. "Please stop drinking." "Okay, I will." That somehow takes 81 minutes. (At least it doesn't take 132.) There's just not enough to this movie for it to be among any year's best, imo. But many differ!

Most underrated: Silent Night

Don't understand the knocks. Kinnaman is fine—the role demands very little of him, and that's what he gives, but I don't believe that substituting [whoever you think might've been better] would make any appreciable difference. Woo's working in a different mode than he did 30 years ago, still knows what's he doing—I repeat myself, but the prolonged brawl here (with the dude our hero idiotically kidnaps) is to me far more impressive than its equivalent setpiece in Fincher's Killer. I did see it with my dad, who's 78, and it could wind up being the last movie we ever see together (he's fine, but we only get together a few times a year and the end is coming), but I don't think that made me orders of magnitude more receptive/forgiving than I ordinarily would be. Had fun.

Biggest disappointment: The Line

What the hell is The Line? you're probably wondering. Barely got a release (it played four non-consecutive days at Metrograph—not quite enough to qualify for the Skandies), and for good reason; I've consistently liked Ursula Meier's films, and even recently managed to spur a flurry of interest in Strong Shoulders (judging from its immediate appearance on a certain site's freeleech roster), but The Line, about a young woman whose mother files a restraining order against her, and who then proceeds to spend all of her time exactly 101 meters from her former home (keeping beyond an actual, wildly irregular line painted by her younger sister), is just plain moronic.

Most pleasant surprise: Bottoms

Really it's The Royal Hotel, but the idea is to avoid repeating films from your top 10 (or top 15, as was the case when I actually did this for the A.V. Club; I now have five extra options). Same idea, really—I didn't care for what I saw of Shiva Baby (which, as that phrasing suggests, I didn't finish), and initially thought that I might be too damn old and straight to appreciate Seligman's follow-up. But it won me over, in large part by embracing a "we're such losers" sensibility that's gone all but extinct in the indie world. Most recent movies remind me of Liz Phair's "Extraordinary" (shudder); Bottoms is more like "Fuck and Run." Imperfect analogy, but hopefully you get the idea.
    CK COMMENT:
    Enys Men was in last year's NYFF Main Slate. I decided not to watch it because it's too grim. I watched FALCON LAKE, and decided it was too insignificant to review! I also am turned off by Quebecois French. So he, Oscar, like you, thumbs his nose at the technical rules of year's lists. THE APARTMENT WITH TWO WOMEN I can't access now. I could watch THE FIVE DEVILS and THE ROYAL HOTEL but not while I've got a bad cold and need soothing things. I agree with him on FALLEN LEAVES - again, not because it's bad but that it's too below-par to be on so many best lists for this year, and, as the Oscar Expert bro's have repeatedly noted, nobody ever lists the Turkish auteur Nuri Bilge Ceylan, and his new one, ABOUT DRY GRASSES, is as interesting as ever. He is one of the world's great filmmakers. Why is he ignored?
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-09-2024 at 11:50 AM.

Happy New Year Chris!
    No, I haven't seen The Delinquents
    Anatomy of a Fall won the screenplay Golden Globe tonight. It's one I must watch.
    You do a great job sharing so much information on this site!

Thanks, Oscar,
    Happy New Year to you too!

Glad Filmleaf got back up, it was down for some hours.

I hadn't digested the Golden Globes yet - you beat me to it. I was listening to classical music for a change. It's on the awards thread now. They look pretty close to predictions - with the big snubs being to Barbie.

Thank you. It's my pleasure to cover films. I've seen a lot of the good ones and awards-listed but there are many I haven't seen too.

I would be interested if you see Moreno's The Delinquents and to know what you think. It was a disappointment to me. I had read very intriguing descriptions prior to its NYFF showing, but it just seemed to drag. I like Anatomy of a Fall and am happy it won the Golden Globes foreign feature category. I have seen it twice and it completely held up the second time. I wonder if The Zone of Interest will hold up as well.

I rely a lot on Cole and Justin Jaeger of YouTube's The Oscar Expert lately for the latest about the awards categories. They live in New York and have attended Cannes, Toronto and Sundance. They majored in film in college and their evaluations of films are quite intelligent. They, like me, favor Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest. But their main aim is to predict what will win, regardless of our taste. And they have a wealth of detail about the current crop of movies in their heads.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-10-2024 at 07:00 PM.

Comment on Mike D'Angelo's list

He sent that one above to subscribers, but on his website he has another list, which seem to as he reevaluates films according to an arcane personal system. The list is in descending numerical order of ratings. Here this is currently:
    2023 Top Ten List
    Poor Things (Yorgos Lanthimos)
    in Water (Hong Sangsoo)
    The Royal Hotel (Kitty Green)
    Anatomy of a Fall (Justine Triet)
    Perfect Days (Wim Wenders)
    Bottoms (Emma Seligman)
    Killers of the Flower Moon (Martin Scorsese)
    Asteroid City (Wes Anderson)
    Menus-Plaisirs: Les Troisgros (Frederick Wiseman)
    Reality (Tina Satter)

Additional 2023 Films By Rating
    Pictures of Ghosts (Kleber Mendonça Filho)
    Last Summer (Catherine Breillat)
    The Zone of Interest (Jonathan Glazer)
    Anselm (Wim Wenders)
    Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. (Kelly Fremon Craig)
    Air (Ben Affleck)
    The Holdovers (Alexander Payne)
    Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (Jonathan Goldstein & John Francis Daley)
    Silent Night (John Woo)
    A Thousand and One (A.V. Rockwell)
    The Killer (David Fincher)
    Wham! (Chris Smith)
    The Delinquents (Rodrigo Moreno)
    Mission: Impossible—Dead Reckoning Part One (Christopher McQuarrie)
    Fallen Leaves (Aki Kaurismäki)
    Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Joaquim Dos Santos & Kemp Powers & Justin K. Thompson)
    No Hard Feelings (Gene Stupnitsky)
    All of Us Strangers (Andrew Haigh)
    The Pigeon Tunnel (Errol Morris)
    Past Lives (Celine Song)
    About Dry Grasses (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)
    Full River Red (Zhang Yimou)
    The Boy and the Heron (Hayao Miyazaki)
    Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan)
    The Caine Mutiny Court Martial (William Friedkin)
    Polite Society (Nida Manzoor)
    John Wick Chapter 4 (Chad Stahelski)
    Eileen (William Oldroyd)
    The Taste of Things (Tran Anh Hung)
    Four Daughters (Kaouther Ben Hania)
    The Iron Claw (Sean Durkin)
    Barbie (Greta Gerwig)
    May December (Todd Haynes)
    Beau Is Afraid (Ari Aster)
    Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold)
    Kidnapped (Marco Bellocchio)
    Orlando, My Political Biography (Paul B. Preciado)
    You Hurt My Feelings (Nicole Holofcener)
    La chimera (Alice Rohrwacher)
    Monster (Kore-eda Hirokazu)
    BlackBerry (Matt Johnson)
    El Conde (Pablo Larraín)
    Afire (Christian Petzold)
    Youth (Spring) (Wang Bing)
    Passages (Ira Sachs)
    Magic Mike's Last Dance (Steven Soderbergh)
    In Our Day (Hong Sang-soo)
    Priscilla (Sofia Coppola)
    Saltburn (Emerald Fennell)
    Origin (Ava DuVernay)
    All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt (Raven Jackson)
    Go to the website and you will find the numerical ratings attached to each title. Poor things is 75 and All Dirt Roads is 26 - on a 1-100 percent scale he himself describes as "needlessly precise." He has put the popular Poor Things at the top and dropped out completely Falcon Lake, surely a wise decision.

The two I don't know on Mike's top ten list are The Royal Hotel and Reality. They both seem to relate to women's rights and Reality is a docudrama. I'm disappointed that he lists Air high up, or at all; I consider it a Nike promo film, and not that interesting anyway. I am expecting to catch up maybe on Are You There God? It's Me Margaret and definitely on Anselm but on a 2D screener. Some good stuff here to follow up on. Reports were that the Chinese doc Youth (included at the NYFF) is a bore.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-10-2024 at 07:03 PM.