THE HOLDOVERS (Focus)
    KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON (Apple)
    MAISTRO (Netflix)
    MAY DECEMBER (Netflix)
    OPPENHEIMER (Universal)
    PAST LIVES (A24)
    POOR THINGS (Searchlight)
    SPIDER-MAN (Sony Pictures)
    Netflix is represented by two films — MAESTRO and MAY DECEMBER — and is the only distributor to have more than one of its movies on the list this year.

No film in AFI Awards history since their establishment in 2001 has gone on to win the Best Picture Oscar without first being on this list; the films often match the eventual majority of Oscar Best Picture nominees.- Deadline.

Monday Dec. 11 the Golden Globe nominations will be announced. Then we will know where we stand for the Oscars this year.

We haven't seen or reviewed AMERICAN FICTION. The rest have been covered on Filmleaf.

The Astra HCA nominations were slightlyt different because they listed AIR and THE COLOR PURPLE as Awards Watch will explain.

Nothing international on either - no ANATOMY OF A FALL or THE ZONE OF INTEREST and in Beat Actress nominations Sandra Hüller is not mentioned.

A BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE shortlist is as follows:

ANATOMY OF A FALL (France)
    CONCRETE UTOPIA (South Korea)
    FALLEN LEAVES (Finland)
    JAEWAN (India)
    PERFECT DAYS (Japan)
    RADICAL (Mexico)
    SOCIETY OF THE SNOW (SPAIN)
    THE TEACHERS' LOUNGE (Germany)
    THE ZONE OF INTEREST (England)

Why do they keep nominating the meh Kaurismaaki FALLEN LEAVES and ignore the great Nuri Bilge Ceylan (Turkey) ABOUT DRY GRASSES? At least here, ZONE OF INTEREST and ANATOMY OF A FALL, two of the year's best films, are listed. Note that THE ZONE OF INTEREST is in German and PERFECT DAYS (which everyone likes) is in Japanese, but by a German director (Wim Wenders). I just reviewed CONCRETE UTOPIA. It's a very arresting movie. I want to see THE TEACHERS' LOUNGE but haven't been able to get it. [Now I have.]

Others:
    SOCIETY OF THE SNOW (Jan Bayona)
    AUTOBIOGRAPHY (Mubarak)

SNOW is from Chile, the third attempt to depict the 1972 Chilean rugby team Andes plane crsh survival story, said to be the best. AUTOBIOGRAPHY is from Indonesia and I recently wrote an enthusiastic review, which I'll publish now. Watch for it.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 03-21-2024 at 11:11 PM.