Thread: Bored on a Thursday night so here's another thread:

Bored on a Thursday night so here's another thread:

How 'bout that swell fella Kevin Smith? I've always wanted to know what people think of him outside the comics ring, myself included along with Wizard magazine. Do you guys consider him an overall good director, actor, and writer? I guess I do. Here's my preferences in top 5 order:

5. Dogma
    4. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    3. Clerks
    2. Mallrats
    1. Chasing Amy

I'm pretty sure a lot of people agree on Chasing Amy being the best of his, but I suppose I'm going all-out fanboy saying that Mallrats is #2. Oh well, it's my sad but self-chosen lifestyle.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

New Jersey Niche

I like Kevvy.

He was a struggling student at the Vancouver Film School living out of his car when Clerks hit, and I'm glad he's become kind of a cult hero. His movies aren't exactly groundbreaking, but they are needed. I loved Mallrats and Dogma has the sexiest Salma Hayek character ever..
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Re: New Jersey Niche

Originally posted by Johann
    I like Kevvy.

He was a struggling student at the Vancouver Film School living out of his car when Clerks hit, and I'm glad he's become kind of a cult hero. His movies aren't exactly groundbreaking, but they are needed. I loved Mallrats and Dogma has the sexiest Salma Hayek character ever..
    You know it's funny that you say that, considering Salma Hayek's character in that movie doesn't even have any genitalia.

Re: Re: New Jersey Niche

Originally posted by HorseradishTree

You know it's funny that you say that, considering Salma Hayek's character in that movie doesn't even have any genitalia.

I don't need to see genitalia to find someone sexy. Your comment is baffling...
    I never even considered that "part" of the script until you just mentioned it.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Um...

It WAS just a joke, since that is where sexuality derives from. But anyway, I say we change off of that subject. I really enjoyed Dogma for its wonderful spoof of Catholicism or whatever, I'm Jewish. However, the reason it's so low on my list is that I feel that looking at the View Askew series as a whole, it didn't seem to contribute so much.

rocketrogerhood Guest
    I fucking hate Kevin Smith. Clerks was impressive considering the shoe string, but the writing is slightly less high school play than the acting. Chasing Amy & Dogma are unbearable films. He over extends himself, he's not smart enough of a filmmaker to tackle the themes in those movies. He must have realized this and went back to dick and fart jokes in Jay and Silent Bob. J&SB is a mostly unfunny waste of time.

What I do like about Kevin Smith is the universe he creates. He refers to characters in one movie that only appeared in another. I enjoy that type of thing, too bad I find his movie so very horrible other than that.

Hang on, I also admire his occasional mention of degrassi junior. high.