I am unfamiliar with metacritic, but you bring up some interesting points Chris.

My appreciation of films is indeed complex. Incredibly complex. I remember the essential of pretty much every film I've seen.

I get really angry when I read a well-known critic's review of a film and he takes a perspective that the film does not deserve. (Ebert does that now and then- he can be very glib).

I guess I definitely feel passionate and certain about what a great film is, a good film is, a bad film is.. etc..
Critics like Ebert (who I admire greatly) who have seen the majority of say, Kurosawa's canon must be scrutinized for those reviews that give a sweeping "thumbs up" to a blockbuster film. I am highly critical of those types. Kael included. I love Pauline, but man, I disagreed with her in almost every review! I understood her perspective completely- she can WRITE, but I felt she was missing an aspect of criticism that is essential: come to the film on it's own terms.

Mysterious? I don't know. How am I mysterious? I think I'm usually very frank on this site. I never say something in passing. It all has meaning to me. (these posts are archived- better say what you mean)