Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Critics' Darlings: The Films of 2003

I'm sure this is true about Bowling for Columbine; the statistics prove it. And no doubt the popularity of this important doc is due (apart from the effect of the promotional and distribution power applied to it) to the forceful statements of Mr Moore and the world's wish to know what the devil is wrong with the USA these days from somebody who is sure he knows.

However, the tradition of the neutral or at least undecided observer remains a strong one in documentary, witness My Architect, in which the filmmaker went to see what he could find out about his father, not knowing what, for instance, great architects like I.M. Pei, Frank Gehry, or Philip Johnson would say about the man; and "fly on the wall" observers like the selfless, almost invisible makers of To Be and to Have.

True enough

To Be and To Have is playing at the cinematheque very soon and I can't wait. I've never seen a film by Mr. Philibert, who is supposedly the greatest "fly on the wall' documentary filmmaker ever. I look forward to seeing his little retro.

Michael Moore. What do you do with a guy like him?

Applaud him.
    Loudly.

The guy is very vocal and I like him. He's like "Oliver Stone for dummies". He lays it all out in his new book too, bluntly telling his readers "you'll never be rich" and to get used to it. The few are controlling the many says Mike, and he's probably right.
    We're all waiting with bated breath as he sharpens his sword. (Fahrenheit 9/11)
    Last edited by Johann; 11-19-2005 at 05:06 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I hope you get a chance to see My Architect too--it really moved me a lot. I don't have to toot the horn of To Be and To Have: everybody praises it, justifiably so.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456