Thread: Oscar Nods To First Half of 2003 Films

Oscar Nods To First Half of 2003 Films

With the year half over, a few lucky films that have so far been released have a shot at Oscar nominations. My list of likely candidates so far are:

Finding Nemo. This boxoffice smash, a delight to all is making literal waves and has a great chance at an Oscar nomination. Could this be the year of the animated Best Picture?

Holes. This quirky movie of ghostly romance and growing up as a boy gives Jon Voight a role to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor, among other nominations for this "one of the best movies of the year."

JOHNNY DEPP for best actor

It's hard to believe that this 40 year-old Kentuckian has NEVER won anything in his native country. The London Critics Circle named him Actor of the Year for ED WOOD. The French gave him an honorary Cesar (French Academy Award). Here's a chance for our Academy to award him his first nomination for his mind-blowing performance in Pirates of the Caribbean. The only actor of his generation I prefer is Mr. Sean Penn.

Never underestimate the Depp

Johnny is in a class all his own. I've loved most of his films and it is indeed a shame that he's gotten no recognition. Donnie Brasco, Fear & Loathing, Sleepy Hollow, Nick of Time, the guy can do it all.

I'm looking forward to "Pirates".

sidenote: Sean Penn & Mick Hucknall co-own "Man Ray"- hip restaurant in Paris that I hope to visit- with Johnny.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Depp Was On My Mind

Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean presents a fascinating, comical character. As such, however, his chance at an Oscar nomination is in doubt due to the nature of the movie and role he plays. Depp has a good chance with a Golden Globe nomination and other movie awards but as for an Academy Award for best actor is a long shot. If one could consider Jack Sparrow as a supporting role to Orlando Bloom's Will Turner, Depp would have a decent shot at a supporting Oscar.

Oscar

Johnny would probably not attend the ceremony even if he was nominated.
    Like Sean Penn, Stanley Kubrick, George C. Scott, Marlon Brando and others, Johnny knows he's great and is satisfied with that. I don't think there is any more powerful statement in the industry than ignoring awards. It speaks volumes for one's reputation.

Spielberg always stuck in my craw because he was always clamouring for that next showering of praise. He famously said: "I only feel out of control with my kids and the oscars."

You would think he's happy being the immovable mover in Hollywood. But nooooo, he's still wondering if "people like me".
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd