Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogville?

Originally posted by oscar jubis

I don't recommend walking into Dogville expecting a major treatise on Puritanical hypocrisy or anything else.
    Isn't that what it's supposed to be? Why else did Trier make this film? What are we to expect, or more precisely, why should we see this film?

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm not sure what context to put it in. Maybe I should wait until after seeing it to determine that? LOL.

Anticipation of "Dogville" even by Knipp

A guy I know in Bogotà saw Dogville some time ago, so it was also showing there. He loved it. I'm hoping I will too, which will be a first for me and von Trier. I've found his films unpalatable up to now. At least it looks "pretty", judging by the previews, and since there're previews, obviously it's coming shortly to the SF Bay area. I will make a note not to walk in looking for a treatise on puritanical hypocrisy, but I usually don't.

A Must See for Anyone Who Missed It

I'm only sorry I didn't see this movie earlier and missed out on the discussion. After I saw Dogville, I was blown away by it. The blend of stage acting and movie production was so creative for me that I really cherished the opportunity to see a movie directed as a live stage production but not shot as from a real stage production. Like Madonna's Evita that realy was a movie that was pure musical production, so to "Dogville" is a stage production format but an actual movie. The subject matter, its build-up, even to his climatic conclusion still resonance in real raw emotional and intensely heightened mental turmoil - a symptom of a really great movie for me. One of the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12