Thread: Like Lone Star?

Like Lone Star?

Well after Lone Star, I was not suprised by the small town, generations storyline from Sayles. Im not sure I liked it as much, however... the politics kind of went unresolved, unmarked...some familiar characters from familiar actors...

Anyone else seen it? Whatd you think?

P

maxwellsmith Guest
    Not yet. Its not showing here yet, but I loved Passion Fish and City of Hope.
    I looked at the imdb page. Did you know he did Brother From Another Planet?
    What a strange body of work. I havent seen that one either, but the premise is hilarious. I'll definitely see Sunshine State.
    Max

This movie presents a interesting overview of Florida society, particularly as it has evolved over the past 50 years or so.

The style of the movie and the breadth of the subject matter inevitably have led to comparisions to the films of Robert Altman. Altman's films, however, seem more focused on the individual psychological condition, while Sayles seems to focus on broader sociological themes. This may result in some viewers finding Sayles to be a bit more clinical and less personal than Altman. Still, Sayles has presented an interesting story with real characters in real situations, and that's something that most movies out of Hollywood don't do.

"Sunshine State" is the type of movie that could be shown to a Junior High social studies class in Florida. It wouldn't bowl the students over with excitement, but it would teach them something about the history of their state and the makeup of the people that live there.

joe Guest

great film

I think Lone Star is one of the most well crafted films ever made. The way it seamlessly weaves the past and the present amazes me every time I see it. Sayles is one of my favorite directors and Lone Star is one of my favorite of his films.

Yeah, Lone Star was really great. Sayles really nailed the border town story (especially for someone born in NY!). Chris Cooper and Elizabeth Pena were an unforgettable duo...