At least you are not one of the people who hated the film just for the last ten minutes.

I found 'The Others' to be quite a rip off of 'The Sixth Sense'. I didn't care much since it was released by Miramax which is owned by The Walt Disney Company which also distributed 'The Sixth Sense' but it felt like the same darn thing only slightly different.

The role of the Sheriff was not needed for later on in the film. It was mainly needed to bring some relief to the characters if only temporary. The Sheriff was seen later on but so as not to give it away, I will not mention it.

The role of Joaquin Phoenix as Graham Hess' brother was well needed. There was much more humor in this film then that of 'The Sixth Sense' and 'Unbreakable'. The humor was well deserved to offset some of the scarier moments of the film. This dash of humor was spliced into the film so the audience didn't feel like they were thrown into another typical horror film.

The mystery of the film was in that you didn't see the aliens. If the aliens had been shown earlier in the film, it would have ruined the effect of the ending, which I will not reveal.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but take what I have said into consideration.