Thread: Intolerable Cruelty

Intolerable Cruelty

The Coen Brothers are back. Put 'em on the list.

I'm seeing it at the Ridge Theatre

I can't wait for Intolerable Cruelty. I'm seeing it very soon at the Ridge Theatre.

I heard it is not one of the Coens' best films, though. I'll be the judge :)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I too was looking forward to this and have yet to see it. The main reason is because the Coen Brothers didnt write it. Soley directors on this one. hmmm...

Actually, I believe the Coen Brothers co-wrote this film. They got the script from the guys who wrote "Big Trouble" (yuck) and added their own touches to the film.

One scene that's classic Coen is the courtroom scene where Clooney is carrying on a conversation with his attorney assistant while the opposing attorney is questioning the witness in the background. Clooney pays this no attention, then when it's his turn to present a witness he hits 'em with a whopper. He's totally in control.

Another part that the Coens had to have added was the Billy Bob Thorton character. His description of himself was hilarious, something about majoring in football at Texas A&M.

Basically, the clever, dialogue-driven scenes are probably attributable to the Coens, while the slap stick stuff is probably the work of the other guys.

Still, worth the price of admission because the Coens are involved.