Though Jean Renoir's apparently classic piece of film has touched many hearts, it certainly didn't touch mine. Over the past few years where I've been viewing more films than I ever have before, I've discovered myself to be a man of plot. I am intrigued by how the director utilizes a basic story structure as well as characterization and transforms it into a nice visual. I felt that with this film, it didn't happen. I felt that Batala, the opposition, developed barely any antagonism throughout the film, if any. It seems as if he truly becomes the bad guy right at the end. While I should have been affected by Batala's sexually predatorial ways on the laundresses, it just didn't seem to impact me as much as it did others. I suppose I could blame the director or the actor, but I think it may have come from the source: the script. Anyway, the one thing I did enjoy was the almost humorous influence of the American west on this film. A sort-of shootout and Lange's creation (Arizona Jim ) were a few obvious points to support that. Well, anyway, that's it for now. Bash me for disliking a classic if you want.