Thread: Perfect Pairs

Frank56 Guest

Perfect Pairs

It's Saturday afternoon and you're set for a weekend "double feature" -- name some favorite perfect pairs -- I'll start:

"Body Heat" (Kathleen Turner, William Hurt) and "Burnt Money" (Edward Noriega, Leonardo Sbaraglia)

"Manhattan" and "Interiors" (Woody Allen)

"Days of Heaven" and "Badlands" (Terence Malick)

double feature picture show?

Here's a few double features that I really enjoyed:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail with A Clockwork Orange
    (There is humour in the Kubrick film that matches anything in Python)

Lyne's Lolita with Stone's U-Turn. (Somehow they compliment each other)

Fear and Loathing with Monterey Pop (the documentary) They both give you a great historical ambiance that is incredibly powerful. Hunter Thompson coupled with The Animals' version of "paint it black". Yes indeed Hunter, it's a final bugle call over the desert and over california...

Touch of Evil and Gilda.
    Tracking shots, serious noir, comedy, Dietrich vs. Hayworth, Orson Welles and Mr. Charles Vidor. A true "black and white night".
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

These choices reflect what I've been watching at home recently. If you've seen any film and have an opinion, please share.

1. I don't know if you'd consider Todd Browning's Freaks and David Lynch's Eraserhead within the horror genre. Maybe it's my kind of horror. Their cult following is likely to multiply with the eventual dvd release. Both shortish features will linger in your mind for long, with their compassion and sense of dread.

2. My favorite art-house sword fantasy is Won Kar-Wai's Ashes of Time. I would pair it with the best film in that genre ever since: Zhang Yimou's Hero. This Oscar nominee may never be released in America but the import dvd sells cheap and looks super. Both films star Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung.

3. WW II from a Russian point of view is the theme of this double feature from the 50s. Two of the most gorgeous films ever released in b&W: THE CRANES ARE FLYING and BALLAD OF A SOLDIER.

4. I think it'd be fun to watch these gothic mysteries back to back. They're neglected, totally engrossing movies. George Cukor's GASLIGHT with Ingrid B., Joe Cotten, Charles Boyer and a barely ripe yet sexy Angela Landsbury. A personal favorite I caught at a dingy cine-club somewhere in central Europe: Otto Preminger's cult feature Bunny Lake is Missing, from 1968 but in noirish b&w.