Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The School Of Rock

'Nuff said.

Bot the DVD

I explored the School of Rock DVD in all it's glory yesterday.
    Lots of good stuff on this one. It boasts 4 hours of extras, but only a little over 2 is worth looking at.

What to love:

-Jack Black's pitch to Led Zeppelin (hilarious) "Grace us with your mighty love!"

-"The diary of Jack Black" (an MTV program) see Jack's daily routine!

-"Lessons learned in School of Rock"- a great look behind the scenes with more funny moments with JB

-Dewey Finn's "History of Rock" interactive feature

What to pass on:

-Both audio commentaries (I thought I'd be recommending the one with Jack and Linklater, but it's actually not that great). The kids kommentary is bad- they rarely say anything interesting, and there are huge lulls where they have nothing to say or say something stupid. They are obviously excited to be part of a good movie, tho.

-Kids video diary at the Toronto Film festival: again, they aren't that interesting in real life.

The film is great, as we all know and would be a great addition to any DVD collection. There is a killer trailer of Frank Oz's Stepford Wives with Nicole Kidman: "SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED!"
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I saw the appeal to Led Zeppelin at a friend's house and I'd like to see the diary. I don't know if I'll buy the DVD but I might rent it. Definitely one of the most fun movies of the year. I'm ashamed I didn't write a review of it, but I don't know anything about rock, and I couldn't think of anything to say but "this movie is fun." I think that's conversely a big reason why film buffs like painful-to-watch movies: they provide a lot to talk about. They live -- we all do to a slight extent -- for the talk about the experience, and so they don't care if the experience was enjoyable or not. This is a movie that it pains me to learn some people are indifferent to, because it's so fun and so damned nice. If they don't like Kill Bill or Haneke's La Pianiste I'm okay with that.

Hey! This isn't Oscar. I'm his daughter, Chelsea (the one that likes the comedies and romances). Ok, now that we've established that, I want to give my opinion on this movie.
    Wow! It was great and I loved the music. I even went out and bought the soundtrack after seeing it twice. lol Maybe it was because of the extra cute drummer Freddy Jones (Kevin Clark). But Jack Black did do an awesome job. It was funny. But the thing that impressed me the most was the music. I'm in a chorus, I was a soloist even, so that's what I'm really interested in when I go to see a movie about music (the music was the "center of attention"). So, as far as comedy...it was alright. As far as music...it was great. Bye!
    -Chelsea Jubis-

It's good to know Oscar has some great kids to be proud of, like you, Chelsea. Glad to have you join the group. My kids liked this film too for all the fun reasons; i. e. rebels at school, etc. I liked this film because I AM a music buff/historian/major at college, etc. The discussions of Rock music are hysterical and fun. I had a lot of explaining to do to my nine year old, however.

P.S. Nobody on this site takes comedies seriously! How's that for an oxymoron!
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

As I said I loved School of Rock but couldn't find much to write about it. I think people like to talk about 'serious' movies more than comedies because somehow there's more to say about them. A comedy is a light and airy thing, hard to pin down; you can't analyze a joke, it kills it, &c. ('to break a butterfly upon a wheel').

We like to be thought serious and have our words pondered as profound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12