Pirates of the Caribbean
    Seabiscuit

Other favorites that obviously won't make it:
    Lara Croft Tomb Raider
    Love Actually
    Uptown Girls

Not so favorites that may get a nominationo for obvious reasons:
    Master and Commander

Tab, how could you forget LOTR? I'd bet the house it gets major noms.

good topic, might as well get it going now

Man, the year flew by.

Oscars?

Yes, Return of the King will get all the major nods. That's a no-brainer. It might just win best picture-we'll see if AMPAS rewards the filmmakers, who deserve a lot of congrats, because this series is going to be loved for years to come.

The Last Samurai. It's a film I'm looking forward to with high expectations. It looks like one of Tom's best films. Although with Zwick at the helm, I am a little apprehensive. He doesn't blow me away but this flick might. Go Cruise!

Master and Commander was awesome. Being a Napoleon buff, this film was right up my alley. It'll share space on my DVD shelf next to Quills and Barry Lyndon. Some pov shots were astounding! The story could have been better, but I didn't really mind- it's the great British Navy circa 1805! Can't ask for more of a historical epic than that. Brilliant war film, and I hope it will win oscars. Hard to say, tho. It didn't really make an impact on audiences.

I'm betting Sean Penn will be nominated for best actor. (again) Will he win? Probably not. Asshole voters.
    Mystic River will definitely get a best picture nom. Might even win.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Fantasy Overload

Haven't seen Mystic River so I can't comment.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy made all at the same time has pretty much stretched my limit of interest. I've been a sci-fi and fantasy fan most of my life. Strangely enough as with the Matrix trilogy and Terminator trilogy, I've just kind of run out of interest...there's not much that I really anticipate in the last Lord of the Rings movie that I haven't seen before. I wouldn't be surprised that it gets nominations, it's just that my interest level isn't in it anymore. I actually want to see something new (a typically American response I admit).