Thread: Underrated and charming

dvcine Guest

Underrated and charming

'Tadpole' has been pretty beat up by many critics, which is too bad - it's an enjoyable movie with a lot of humor. The young main character Oscar is not all that different from a lot of overly confident and unkowingly naive young men - he has plenty of education, but hides behind academia to remain aloof, beyond the realities that eveyone must face.
    His infatuation with his father's new wife is one of the ways Oscar fantasizes his specialness, how the rules of society somehow just don't apply to him.
    Of course, they do, and young Oscar does come crashing down to earth, not a hard, overblown crash, just a good solid thud! Having Oscar be of mixed French & American background allowed a for a (mercifully) few clichés about the 'otherness' of 'French' relations in love, or at least as silly Hollywood writers have generally conceived such relations.
    The low-budget movie isn't overly "Dogme" in it's style, and the production values were very acceptable - in other words, the camerawork or the sound didn't draw attention to themselves, it wasn't part of the moviemaker's intent to point out 'hey we're making a DV-based movie!'.
    Sigourney Weaver's acting was much above-average for her, and John Ritter was very well-cast too. Good acting all around, really.
    It's worth seeing this move, like all movies, in a movie theater - take the money you'd be spending on junk food, and see this on a actual movie screen!

Ansonm Guest
    take the money you'd be spending on junk food, and see this on a actual movie screen!
    hmmm. Actually havent been spending my movie allowance on junk food, but an interesting idea. Maybe we could get Mcdonalds to sneak some culture into their menu! Litte dvd's of Tadpole in the happy meals or something. Free tickets to museums with the purchase of a gigantic bucket of fried chicken.

I agree with you that Tadpole is enjoyable. I think its weak points might be that its character is a bit of a cliche- rich, priveleged and therefore temporarily unaffected by the rules of society - or if not a cliche atleast not interesting enough to be worth visiting again.

John Ritter is fantastic. Good for him.

dvcine Guest

True about that cliché

Agreed - thugh I haven't personally met many such people, so can't vouch as to whether this characterization was a cliché or not...!

Originally posted by Ansonm

hmmm. Actually havent been spending my movie allowance on junk food, but an interesting idea. Maybe we could get Mcdonalds to sneak some culture into their menu! Litte dvd's of Tadpole in the happy meals or something. Free tickets to museums with the purchase of a gigantic bucket of fried chicken.

I agree with you that Tadpole is enjoyable. I think its weak points might be that its character is a bit of a cliche- rich, priveleged and therefore temporarily unaffected by the rules of society - or if not a cliche atleast not interesting enough to be worth visiting again.

John Ritter is fantastic. Good for him.