It's difficult to see how one can try to compare Gosford Park with The Company as the two movies are so different in composition, intent, and subject matter.
I wasn't "trying to compare" them. I was merely saying this wasn't one of Altman's best, citing Gosford Park as one that clearly is.

It is to the movie's credit that the stretching and dancing compose a nice backdrop, a strong backdrop to the actual plot of the movie. This is a movie where the backdrop of dance is just as important or more important than the actual storyline itself. I can't imagine that Neve Campbell ever intended to have this movie become some serious deep drama. Instead this slice of life movie is similar in tone and nature with Lost In Translation another more cerebral movie with Bill Murray provided a deep, minimalist acting performance.
Your first sentence is more than obvious. What Neve Campbell intended is not irrelevant -- she played a role in the design of the film -- but Altman is the director, so he bears ultimate responsability. It's funny, first you say don't compare The Company with another of Altman's films, then you compare it with one byh Sofia Coppola that is totally unrelated in any way. So I don't know what to say. Is the dance setting a "nice backdrop," "a strong backdrop," or "more important than the actual storyline itself"? You seem to be making up your mind as you go along. Maybe if you had edited down these four sentences into two your point would have been clearer; you would have had a point.