Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Your Ten Best of the 90's

Originally posted by wpqx
    Burton was trying something truly unique and original with Pee Wee, a comedy with art direction. I mean how many "silly" films are filled with such innovative lighting, surreal dream sequences, and come on Twisted Sister. Pee Wee's Big Adventure still cracks me up, particularly the scene of him driving through the billboard on a motorcycle.
    I saw this movie when it came out on the big screen in 1985 (I was 11). I went to see it with my grandparents, and their reaction was, "yes, that was very nice". I think they were confounded. I thought it was an hilarious movie, but I also wondered if we Texans were really as obnoxious as we were portrayed in the movie (I'm referring to the scene where Pee Wee, to determine if he's in Texas, yells out loud in a diner, "The stars at night, are big and bright....", and the crowd in unison sings back, "Deep in the heart of Texas".) My grandmother's other reaction, "Well of course the Alamo doesn't have a basement...".

Originally posted by Johann
    Barton Fink is also a masterpiece. (Palm D'or winner as well). John Turturro's acting is always fascinating. The scene that stands out in my mind is the hallway on fire scene with John Goodman. It's a surreal few minutes, no?
    Yes, indeed. I'm still trying to figure this one out. "This is the life of the mind for you, Barton". So what was in the box?

Good question.

Do we need to know?
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Do we need to know? We're not going to know...that's the mystery.

Maybe it's one of Charlie's victims. Maybe it's Barton's head in the box, allegorically speaking. Maybe it contains the masterpiece Barton's trying to write. Maybe it's the meaning of life, which you're trying to decipher on another thread here...

C'mon you lurkers!

Add your two cents!

Must Howard and I be the sacrificial lambs for making clear that life is all about midichlorians and the standing orders of Battlestar Galactica?

That was Zen, this is Tao:
    what do you think the meaning of life is?
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I thought it was Barton's head personally.

As for the meaning of life and Battlestar Galactica, no thank you. The point of life is to cheat death, that's the only reason we're alive.

Oh and I finally got to see My Own Private Idaho, certainly one of the most important films of the 90's.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567