Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Ten Best of the 90's

Never apologize, never explain

COMMENTS

In my 80’s Movie Best Lists I attempt a balancing act. I try to be true to my own gut reactions and tastes but also to say something significant about the decade. Last first: I adore Bergman, but not every breath he takes, and I found Fanny & Alexander terribly boring. Certain directors are always losing their touch (though I’m not insisting Bergman was—he did fade, though, as do many) and others are emerging. In English the key emergent directors of the decade were Soderbergh, Frears, Jarmusch. Barry Levinson did his best and most authentic work, wonderful movies about Baltimore as true to it as John Waters’, and that’s my home town so I think I can judge. Levinson can get soft and fuzzy about Baltimore and then it doesn’t work, as in Avalon and Liberty Heights. About The Natural: I hate baseball, okay?!

When I say something’s “MOST OVERRATED,” don’t get too upset, guys: just take as an honest admission that certain movies everybody likes just aren’t to my taste, and I’m not going to pretend that they are. I make no apology for Titanic: it’s romantic and exciting to the max and I loved it. It doesn’t always happen that something that cost a bunch and draws in mobs of teenagers also moves me, and I want to celebrate that, along with the Academy. But I don't have a choice like that for the 80's.

Jarmusch was a wonderful, edgy new director who was on a roll in the Eighties. His beat hipsters, exemplified by John Lurie and Tom Waits – and introducing Roberto Benigni to an astonished English-speaking world – found their home in Jarmusch’s witty, artful movies. Whether he will ever outdo Dead Man is hard to say: it’s a masterpiece. David Lynch was the other edgy guy and he made kinkiness and surrealism seem hip even to the marginally hip; he has tended to repeat himself growing only technically (with some great acting), not ever learning how to tell a coherent story, but Blue Velvet had the edge and was a seminal movie of the decade. It made sexual perversion and small town bland sickness both seem really nasty and surreal. Soderbergh emerged with a movie that seemed quite fresh and challenging yet could draw in a large audience and he’s continued to maintain that delicate balance ever since.

Frears also was on a roll, and he has continued to surprise and experiment to this day. I could also mention Prick Up Your Ears, and The Grifters, a real classic, was just about to happen.

I’m not a huge fan of the immensely talented and bright Martin Scorsese, who has made such a contribution to the study of preservation of movies besides being a great director. I find his work cold and unappealing, and I’d rate Kubrick way above him, but nonetheless I have to acknowledge that Raging Bull is his masterpiece and one of the seminal movies of the decade -- some think the 80’s English-language movie.

Cronenberg is a master whose brilliance I only graduallly recognized. Naked Lunch clinched it, and Spider is perhaps even better.

I admire all those who discover and reveal the more exotic foreign directors. I’m not sure Wong Kar-Wai swam into my ken till the early 90’s, but one of his offbeat masterpieces that is known here is As Tears Go By. It provides a key to his understanding of relationships. Most of his great work was to come in the 90’s, and Quentin Tarantino (the star of 90's mainstream edginess) gave him a boost here by finding mainstream re-distribution for Chungking Express via Miramax.

All my other foreign listings are personal favorites. I consider Kurosawa a god of cinema. Au Revoir les enfants is Malle’s most touching work. Sid & Nancy is a trip. Much of one decade is about revisiting the previous two, in this case the 60’s and 70’s.Kryzszytof Kieslowski is the most profound and serious foreign director who swam into my view in the last several decades, though of course Blue, White, and Red are 90’s movies and Dekalog wasn’t shown here till a couple of years ago, though it was shown on Polish TV in 1987 and belongs with that decade.

I think it's significant that all these are so far from the Yuppiehood and Me Generation Reagonist stuff that was oppressing us in America during the 80's: we needed to escape. Only The Big Chill, which deals with an earlier generation, and sex, lies and videotape slightly relate to the presumed 80's mood, and even that's a stretch.

One I forgot: Running on Empty. Sorry, River! We'll never forget you. But sometimes it's a little too painful to remember. Martha Plimpton knows.

André?

Did you see My Dinner With André?
    Last edited by Howard Schumann; 04-21-2004 at 03:38 PM.
    "They must find it hard, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority" Gerald Massey

Are you talking to me?

Yo Chris

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
    Are you talking to me?
    Yes Chris. I was wondering if you have seen My Dinner With Andre, one of my favorite films from the 80s.
    "They must find it hard, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority" Gerald Massey

If there's one thing that Chris and I share, it's the idea that you shouldn't apologize for your personal taste. That's the beauty of being an individual who THINKS. Chris is more deft at defending his opinions than me.

That said, I agree in large part with most of your comments re: the 80's. I grew up in the 80's, (in Canada) so I don't have the memories of "Reagonist" America. I only have theatre-going memories that were quite joyous (oh, to be young again!).

A lot of the movies you mention I only saw in the mid-to-late 90's, and the careers of the directors you cite were not as clear to me.
    But, you are absolutely right that the decade was prime for Jarmusch, Lynch & Soderbergh. The masters that lost no impact: Kurosawa & Kubrick, the masters that did: Bergman & Fellini (excepting City of Women)- all excellent points.

I agree completely about Cronenberg & Kieslowski and re: Scorsese, a case could be made that his output post-Raging Bull is lacking. On some days I find myself wondering if Robert McKee is right when he said last year *in an angry drawl*: "That guy hasn't made a good movie in over ten years!"
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

To Howard: I'm sorry, I was dodging the question. I knew what you were asking. Yes -- well; I walked out of it. I'd have probably seen it through, but I was with one of my best friends and her husband and she was bored and I was too, so we left 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through.

To Johann -- I'm pleased to get the positive feedback. Your championing of Kill Bill has had a very good influence with me. A friend of mine who happens to be the daughter of a movie director from the great days told me she was going back to see Kill Bill 1 again, and that and your comments inspired me to go see it again too, and I loved it. This guy is such a great filmmaker, it really helps to get inside his movies and memorize them a bit.

But hey, that's the 00's.

Weren't there any yuppies in Canada? I bet there were. But I was living in San Francisco, and it was full of the selfish bastards. In fact one could argue that they took it over. Luckily, they usually move on to the next "lovely place" and despoil that. Yeah, I lived through the 80's, and they were the best time of my working life personally and the worst time in this country otherwise as a place to be and as a culture, or so it seemed to me. It was weird, in retrospect, the contrast.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-21-2004 at 04:30 PM.

[B]To Howard: I'm sorry, I was dodging the question. I knew what you were asking. Yes -- well; I walked out of it. I'd have probably seen it through, but I was with one of my best friends and her husband and she was bored and I was too, so we left 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through.

[B]
    Now that you are so much wiser, are you willing to give it another go on my recommendation?

Re: HOU HSIAO HSIEN

Originally posted by Howard Schumann
    If you were introducing HHH to someone for the first time, which of the above that you've seen would you start with?

Highest rated Hou films according to IMDb voters:

A Summer at Grandpa's
    Boys of Fengkuei
    City of Sadness
    A Time to Live and a Time to Die
    Dust in the Wind
    Flowers of Shanghai
    Good Men, Good Women

I finally will get to watch the top two next month as a mini Hou retro hits town. Thanks for your excellent post about these early films, Howard. I've seen just about everything else and Flowers and Puppetmaster are favorites. Both are period films. Flowers can be hard to penetrate at first (although I'm convinced Johann would love it and I've told him so). Puppetmaster is a bit long and the dvd is a disaster (full frame and bad print, perhaps a factor in its low IMDb rating). So, my answer to your question is Good Men, Good Women. It's an ambitious but direct and accessible film with a contemporary protagonist (an actress preparing for a role as a post-war political activist is having pages from her diary faxed to her by a stranger who stole it).

Not My Favorite Decade

Jarmusch was a wonderful, edgy new director who was on a roll in the Eighties.

J.J.'s 80s Top 10 (as published by Premiere)

1.RAGING BULL
    2.LOVE STREAMS (Casavettes)
    3.ON TOP OF THE WHALE (Ruiz)
    4.DEAD RINGERS
    5.THE ROAD WARRIOR
    6.TOUTE UNE NUIT (Akerman)
    7.DO THE RIGHT THING
    8.THE HIT
    9.THE EVIL DEAD
    10.THE STATE OF THINGS (Wenders)

I think it's significant that all these are so far from the Yuppiehood and Me Generation Reagonist stuff that was oppressing us in America during the 80's: we needed to escape

My "Great movies I Love" list includes less movies from the 80s than from any other decade since the 1940s and only 9 in English. Two are UK productions (Brazil, My Left Foot), two by Italian directors with a foreign crew (Bertolucci's The Last Emperor and Leone's trippy Once Upon a Time in America) and the made-in-England Full Metal Jacket.
    What remains are four American movies:Raging Bull, Reds, The Last Temptation of Christ and Do the Right Thing. Among the few American films of the 80s that came close to get listed: Stranger Than Paradise, Drugstore Cowboy, Blue Velvet, Love Streams and Sam Fuller's White Dog.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 04-22-2004 at 03:34 AM.

P.s. to my 80's Lists

It was an oversight to leave out Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick) and I probably should have given a nod to Spike Lee by naming Malcolm X, better in my view than Do The Right Thing (on far more 80's Best Lists) and perhaps Denzel Washington's best performance, even if it's largely an act of vertriloquism, like Will Smith's (also fine) Muhammad Ali.

EarlXX gives this very solid and coherent list for the decade:

80s
    1. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return Of The Jedi
    4. The Right Stuff
    5. Aliens
    6. Glory
    7. Gandhi
    8. Ghostbusters
    9. Die Hard
    10. RoboCop

EarlXX's lists are more truly representative of what was popular during the decades and this list shows something important I failed to note: that while the 70's was a period of strong American "auteurs" celebrated by Pauline Kael, whose heyday as a famous critic for The New Yorker Magazine was this decade, the 80's was the time when the Blockbusters emerged. But note this was the good old days of blockbusters, before things like Pearl Harbor, The Rock, and Judgment Day took over. EarlXX's 80's faves are real pop classics, doomed to be more and more palely copied in the decade to come.

This factor may be what led film buffs like Oscar Jubis to ghettoize themselves further by retreating to foreign films for most of their faves. But wait! Aided by the huge profits in Hollywood produced by blockbusters, general American movie production was up and continued to be, aided by the video rental and sale boom, which allowed non-blockbusters to make back their costs beyond the box office. So there is a good choice now of English language movies of all sorts both in and out of the cineplex.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-22-2004 at 02:05 PM.

Re: Re: HOU HSIAO HSIEN

I finally will get to watch the top two next month as a mini Hou retro hits town. Thanks for your excellent post about these early films, Howard. I've seen just about everything else and Flowers and Puppetmaster are favorites. Both are period films. Flowers can be hard to penetrate at first (although I'm convinced Johann would love it and I've told him so). Puppetmaster is a bit long and the dvd is a disaster (full frame and bad print, perhaps a factor in its low IMDb rating). So, my answer to your question is Good Men, Good Women. It's an ambitious but direct and accessible film with a contemporary protagonist (an actress preparing for a role as a post-war political activist is having pages from her diary faxed to her by a stranger who stole it).
    Good Men, Good Women is the only film of Hou's that I haven't seen and is not available for rent here. I think I will go with Goodbye South, Goodbye.

the 80's was the time when the Blockbusters emerged. This factor may be what led film buffs like Oscar Jubis to ghettoize themselves further by retreating to foreign films for most of their faves.
    Well, I posted two lists (page 1), one exclusively for English language films. Even in the decade of the 80s, I have more films "Made in USA" than films from any other country.

BEST OF THE 90's

Well, the current decade is about half over so I think it's time to reflect back on the previous one.

TOP 10
    (alphabetical order only)

Cold Water (L’Eau Froide) - Olivier Assayas / France

Flowers of Shanghai (Hai Shang Hua) - Hou Hsiao-hsien / Taiwan

I Can’t Sleep (J'ai Pas Sommeil) - Claire Denis / France

Jackie Brown - Quentin Tarantino / U.S.A

Naked - Mike Leigh / U.K

Natural Born Killers - Oliver Stone / U.S.A

Red (Rouge) - Krzysztof Kieslowski / Poland-France

Rosetta - Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne / Belgium

Smoke - Wayne Wang / U.S.A

Taste of Cherry (Ta'm e Guilass) - Abbas Kiarostami / Iran

Runners-Up

All About My Mother (Todo Sobre Mi Madre)
    Pedro Almodóvar / Spain

Beau Travail - Claire Denis / France

La Cérémonie - Claude Chabrol / France

Exotica - Atom Egoyan / Canada

Fargo - Joel & Ethan Coen / U.S.A

Heat - Michael Mann / U.S.A

Maborosi (Maboroshi No Hikari) - Hirokazu Kore-eda / Japan

Pulp Fiction - Quentin Taranino / U.S.A

The Thin Red Line - Terrence Malick / U.S.A

Vive L'Amour (Aiqing Wansui) - Tsai Ming-liang / Taiwan

Honorable Mention

Before Sunrise - Richard Linklater / U.S.A

Besieged (L’Assedio) - Bernardo Bertolucci / Italy

The Blue Kite (Lan Feng Zheng) - Tian Zhuangzhuang / China

Buffalo ‘66 - Vincent Gallo / U.S.A

Cabaret Balkan (Bure Baruta) - Goran Paskaljevic / Yugoslavia

Close Up (Nema-ye Nazdik) - Abbas Kiarostami / Iran

The Cloud (La Nube) - Fernando E. Solanas / Argentina

Crane World (Mundo Grúa) - Pablo Trapero / Argentina

Dark City - Alex Proyas / U.S.A

Dream of Light (El Sol Del Membrillo/ Quince Tree of the Sun)
    Víctor Erice / Spain

Journey to the Sun (Günese Yolculuk) - Yesim Ustaoglu / Turkey

Killer (Tueur à Gages) - Darezhan Omirbayev / Kazakhstan

L'Humanité - Bruno Dumont / France

Light Sleeper - Paul Schrader / U.S.A

Moe No Suzaku - Naomi Kawase / Japan

Molokh - Aleksandr Sokurov / Russia

A Single Girl (La Fille Seule) - Benoît Jacquot / France

The Sweet Hereafter - Atom Egoyan / Canada

Taboo (Gohatto) - Nagisa Oshima / Japan

Un Coeur En Hiver - Claude Sautet / France

Edit: [alphabetical order corrected]
    Last edited by arsaib4; 12-21-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Not a single bad movie. What I find most interesting, from my own perspective, is how much I like your foreign language selections and how many of the English ones I deem only "worth watching", not films I would ever want to watch again. Even some of the English films on your list that I liked a lot upon release, such as NBK, have depreciated in my estimation. From where I sit, it feels like your foreign language selections were picked by someone with whom I have a lot in common, and the English ones were selected by totally different person. Will seek out the four I haven't seen: Killer, Moe no Suzaku, Molokh, and Journey to the Sun (which I now own on dvd).
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 01-26-2005 at 03:28 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast