Thread: Remakes of Classics

Remakes of Classics

(1) So, what do you think of remakes of classics films?

e.g.

Lolita (Kubrick) vs. Lolita (Lyne)
    Henry V (Olivier) vs. Henry V (Branagh)
    Psycho (Hitchcock) vs. Psycho (Van Sant)

(2) Also, are you suspicious of unacknowledged plagiarism with any famous movies?

e.g. I have a sneaking suspicion "Saving Private Ryan" draws heavily on "The Bridge".

Ken.
    Last edited by anduril; 02-06-2004 at 09:20 PM.
    http://anduril.ca/movies/

There's a spirituality in films, even if it's not one which can supplant faith
    Martin Scorsese

Well you know I loved van Sant's Psycho- I saw it with you.

Remakes are always a crapshoot. Scorsese pulled off a remake of Cape Fear and Lyne's Lolita is arguably better than Kubrick's, but hey it was seriously taboo back in the early 60's- Kubrick had to pad his trailer with "How did they ever make a movie of Lolita!?" Lyne's version is sexier and Irons is far more intense than Mason: "I'm going to kill you Quilty!" A tad tacky...

Did you know that someone is doing a remake of Trier's The Kingdom? Idiots. (pardon the pun)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I personally think that Planet of the Apes was the worst career move that Tim Burton ever made.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

How about movies, classics or otherwise, that should be remade but haven't been? I'm talking about the type of movies where you're sitting there watching it, and you think, this is a good premise for a movie but the filmmakers here have really botched things up.

I've seen a few in recent years where I've had that feeling. Remember Pushing Tin, with John Cusack and Billy Bob Thorton. I liked the idea of the movie, two air traffic control guys, control freaks by nature (God complex?), competive guys who end up running themselves into the ground and hurting everyone around them. The filmmakers could have really done something with this premise, but what they gave us had trouble getting off the ground (so to speak).

Another one for me is Breakdown with Kurt Russell. It's a story about a man and woman whose car breaks down out in the middle of the desert somewhere. Then, the truck driver who stops to help disappears with the wife and the rest of the movie is spent looking for them. It's really not much more than an action flick, though I think they should have done a better job in contrasting the "civilized" city people against the Darwinian forces present out in the wilderness. I guess that would be accused of ripping off Deliverance , but it still would have made a better picture.

Anyway, those are two movies that could turn out much better if "remade" by the right people.

Originally posted by Johann
    Did you know that someone is doing a remake of Trier's The Kingdom? Idiots. (pardon the pun)
    lol.

Is that remake the made for television series that's airing on NBC, I think it was? Couldn't believe it. They won't top Lars, that's for sure.

BTW, I read in another thread that you have the Dogville DVD. Geez man, why don't you tell me these things? If you come to Edmonton, you sure as hell better bring it!!! You know what Lars means to me.

Martin Scorsese

DOGVILLE

Do you have a world DVD player? Otherwise we can just admire the case.

I can't play the damn thing. I'll get it transfered to VHS.

Yes, yes I do.

Martin Scorsese

Sweet man!
    We can also watch The Baby of Macon, another DVD I picked up in Paris.