Just read that David Auburn's Pulitzer Prize winning play "Proof" is being made into a movie. John Madden ("Shakespeare in Love") is directing, and Gwenyth Paltrow will play the lead.

Has anyone else here seen this play? I had the luck to see it on Broadway a couple of years ago with Mary-Louise Parker in the lead role, and it blew me away. Wonderful writing and acting.

I'm curious to see how it will hold up on the silver screen, and also how popular it will be as a mainstream movie, if that's the goal of the filmmakers. It's got Gwenyth in it, and Anthony Hopkins is cast as her father, so it would seem there's some thought to the box office draw. Still, unless major revisions are made, its emphasis (like most plays) is on dialogue and character over things like set design, editing, and music. It's not flashy in that sense. That's probably something that will keep it from being popular with mainstream audiences, but could it also be argued that it's a legitimate limitation on the film itself? With so much available to a filmmaker (i.e. use of background scenery, music, editing, special effects, lighting, etc.), is the filming of a play just plain boring?