Thread: Tulse Luper Suitcases

Tulse Luper Suitcases

Maybe it's just that I haven't searched around enough on the forums but I don't see much discussion on the Tulse Luper Suitcases. Most surprisingly, I haven't seen any discussion of Tulse Luper in threads about the Best of 2003. Why?

I personally haven't had a chance to watch these episodes yet but I hear Greenaway thinks of them as his magnum opus.

Thoughts anyone.... (Johann, I expect you'll be first!! :-)
    http://anduril.ca/movies/

There's a spirituality in films, even if it's not one which can supplant faith
    Martin Scorsese

I took the bait.

Tulse Luper is Greenaway's alter-ego, and the "Suitcases" trilogy is finished, but distribution is the main problem.

Part 1 was shown at Cannes and Gavin Smith of Film Comment gave it a good review. It's a trilogy that I am highly anticipating. Greenaway cast Madonna in a part because she begged him for months. He should have turned her down.
    Skank don't belong in art films.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

So, they haven't been seen yet apart from Cannes and other such limited screenings?

I hadn't heard much and just assumed they had made their way through the normal processes...

Martin Scorsese

The trilogy stars JJ Feild as Tulse Luper, who I assume got the part because Greenaway saw him in The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby on the BBC.
    His other claim to fame is a role in K-19: The Widowmaker.

The trilogy also boasts Blondie's Debbie Harry, Isabella Rossellini and Franka Potente from Run Lola Run.

I'm guessing it'll be a while before we see the trilogy in North America. (And that'll probably be on home video...)

Y'know I find it interesting that some "mainstream" actors have actually starred in Greenaway films; it's kinda of surprising given the content of his films. I'm particularly surprised that Julia Ormond is in Baby of Macon... pretty rough part for such a fine lady to play.

Martin Scorsese

Have you seen The baby of Macon? Julia is nude for 90% of the film and the rape scene is right up there with the rape scenes in Stone's Heaven & Earth and Irreversible. She is horrifyingly convincing as a rape victim in Macon. Ralph Fiennes is also completely nude- hey ladies! Spider in the buff!

Tim Roth, Helen Mirren, Amanda Plummer, Brian Dennehy, Sir John Gielgud- all familiar actors who appeared in Greenaway films.

Originally posted by Johann
    Have you seen The baby of Macon? Julia is nude for 90% of the film
    Got so caught up in "Art and Audience," I forgot you asked me a question here... yes, yes I have. It was a very bad print, though. And, she's not nude for anywhere near 90% of the movie... she's only really nude in her love/goring scene with Ralph Fiennes. She's not even really seen nude in the rape scene until after they throw her off the bed. But, still a very rough part just the same.

Martin Scorsese

Shhhh! I said 90% to get people to rent it!

You always gotta go exposing my motives....

Originally posted by Johann
    Shhhh! I said 90% to get people to rent it!

You always gotta go exposing my motives....
    Ahhhh... I see your tactic... appeal to the baser instincts and hope the Britney Spears crowd actually rents Baby of Macon...

Personally, it originally drew my interest because of its religious themes...

Martin Scorsese