Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Art and Audience

Originally posted by anduril
    Nobody lives in isolation... not even you man.
    I'm not talking about living in isolation. I'm talking about seeing a film in isolation. I prefer to see films alone. No talking, no "pass me some M&M's", no distractions.

People think you have to go to the movies with someone else or it's just no fun. I say bollocks to that. While I appreciate company, I would rather be alone (like Garbo!) when seeing films.

I saw almost 80 films at the cinematheque in the last 6 months and I saw almost all of them alone. That's what I mean by isolation. But I wasn't truly alone- I was with the films. I was committed to the films. Discussion of movies is fine AFTERWARDS.

To me when the lights dim, it's magic time. Magic prefers focus.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Johann
    I'm not talking about living in isolation. I'm talking about seeing a film in isolation. I prefer to see films alone. No talking, no "pass me some M&M's", no distractions.

People think you have to go to the movies with someone else or it's just no fun. I say bollocks to that. While I appreciate company, I would rather be alone (like Garbo!) when seeing films.

I saw almost 80 films at the cinematheque in the last 6 months and I saw almost all of them alone. That's what I mean by isolation. But I wasn't truly alone- I was with the films. I was committed to the films. Discussion of movies is fine AFTERWARDS.

To me when the lights dim, it's magic time. Magic prefers focus.
    That's not what you described in your initial post on this... but, in any case, my answer is still the same answer.
    Last edited by anduril; 02-29-2004 at 05:53 PM.
    http://anduril.ca/movies/

There's a spirituality in films, even if it's not one which can supplant faith
    Martin Scorsese

Originally posted by anduril
    That's not what you described in your initial post on this
    Uh, yes it is.

"What about isolated interaction" was what I said. Do you not know what isolated interaction is?

In case you don't, it means paying attention to the film while alone-in isolation, solo, uno mano, singulo, lono, BY YOURSELF.

Uh, yes it is.

"What about isolated interaction" was what I said. Do you not know what isolated interaction is?

In case you don't, it means paying attention to the film while alone-in isolation, solo, uno mano, singulo, lono, BY YOURSELF.
    Of course, I know what you mean... but the very fact that you discuss your movies in a place like this one already proves my initial point. That you watch them alone only affects the quality of your viewing experience...
    http://anduril.ca/movies/

There's a spirituality in films, even if it's not one which can supplant faith
    Martin Scorsese

Yes, you are correct.

But notice I don't discuss movies anywhere else. (Except in person). This site has procured some real movie lovers who express themselves wonderfully. A great thing. I'm clearly addicted to this on-line exchanging of perspectives.
    I learn a lot about others and myself....tremendous thanks to pmw for inviting me.

Yes, you are correct.

But notice I don't discuss movies anywhere else. (Except in person). This site has procured some real movie lovers who express themselves wonderfully. A great thing. I'm clearly addicted to this on-line exchanging of perspectives.
    I learn a lot about others and myself....tremendous thanks to pmw for inviting me.
    No problem, and not to fear, with a little technology we'll all be watching/discussing movies in the same theater... I'd say 5 years or so. Weird....
    P

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789