Thread: 2003: The Year In Film

2003: The Year In Film

Before we turn the page, some comments about events and trends in film production and distribution from my subjective and passionate point of view. A list of 2003 favorites follows, again divided into English and Foreign language films.

The current decade is as rich in wonderful movies as any other decade in the history of cinema. The problem is that, depending on where you live, some of these films are not opening at a theatre near you. Too many good films are on "limited release" or shown exclusively at film festivals. Too many movie lovers have to resort to home video to view them. Hollywood's monopoly over screens worldwide is a major reason. As far as watching older classics on the big screen, improved home video technology is killing the repertory theatre, at least outside of a few huge markets like NYC, LA and Paris.

Watching a movie at home is better than not at all. A major development in 2003 was the increased worldwide popularity of multi-zone dvd players. These machines make it possible for you to watch any dvd made in our planet, no matter what format or zone coding. The price of multi-zone dvd players now matches the cost of conventional models. Foreign dvds increasingly feature English subtitles. If you don't mind home viewing, the number of films available to you is tremendous.

An encouraging trend is the dvd release of festival-only movies by small, alternative organizations like Film Movement (filmmovement.com). The dvds are lovingly produced, with extra features that often include an excellent short film.

The number of film festivals continues to increase in the USA, particularly "niche" festivals. Major categories of niche festivals appear to be Independent, Gay and Lesbian, Latino, Jewish, and Asian.

There were several excellent commercial/mainstream films in 2003, including the highest grossing animated film in history, the best(arguably) fantasy adventure ever, a rock 'n roll comedy for the whole family, and the first successful pirate movie in decades. But 2003 was exceptional because of the high number of superb documentary and American independent films.
    My theory regarding docs is that 2002's Bowling for Columbine was such a huge hit at theatres and at home that distributors and theatre chains learned there was profit in releasing docs. Many quality ones released before BfC did not get the "push" from distributors and publicists they would get today. I hopefully anticipate that the success of low budget movies in 2003 will also be a positive influence on the film climate.

Two major concerns.
    The long delayed release in North America of major movies that the rest of the world has already seen. For example, the new films by Lars von Tier and Zhang Yimou have long been available on import dvd. But Americans have to wait until 2004 for a theatrical release. Both Dogville and Hero would have made my 2003 top 10 based on home viewings, but I'll save them for 2004 since theatrical runs are forthcoming.
    A lamentable new development is the split release of long films like Kill Bill so that theatres can charge admission twice and fit in more screenings per day. Pure greed at your expense.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 02-26-2004 at 07:28 AM.

My Favorite Movies of 2003

Top 10 English Language

1. THE MAGDALENE SISTERS
    ---SPIDER
    3. ALL THE REAL GIRLS
    ---LOTR:THE RETURN OF THE KING
    5. LOST IN TRANSLATION
    6. AMERICAN SPLENDOR
    ---CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS
    ---COLD MOUNTAIN
    ---DECASIA
    ---FINDING NEMO
    ---ANGELS IN AMERICA

Runners Up
    The Same River Twice
    The Shape of Things
    21 Grams
    Down with Love
    Stevie
    Elephant
    Looney Toons: Back in Action
    Girl with a Pearl Earring
    Raising Victor Vargas
    In America

Honorable Mention
    Monster, Masked and Anonymous, Buffalo Soldiers, The School of Rock, Warming up by the Devil's Fire, Movern Callar, Whale Rider, I Capture the Castle, Pieces of April, The Station Agent.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 12-12-2005 at 09:51 AM.

My Favorite Movies of 2003

Top 10 Foreign Language

1. RUSSIAN ARK (Russia)
    ---THE SON (Belgium/France)
    3. THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS (Canada)
    ----JAPON (Mexico)
    ----LA COMMUNE (Paris 1871) (France/UK)
    ----MONDAYS IN THE SUN (Spain)
    ----UNKNOWN PLEASURES (China)
    8. ARO TOLBUKHIN (Mexico/Hungary)
    ----LAVOURA ARCAICA (Brazil)
    10-BLISSFULLY YOURS (Thailand)
    ----DIVINE INTERVENTION (Palestine)

Runners Up

From the Other Side
    11'09''01-September 11
    Irreversible
    Marooned in Irak
    Millenium Actress
    Winged Migration
    Chihwaseon
    City of God
    Balseros
    Les Diables

Honorable Mention
    Man Without a Past, Ali Zaoua, The Virgin of Lust, Rana's Wedding, The Girl From Paris, The Housekeeper, The Cuckoo, Respiro, On the Ocassion of Remembering the Turning Gate, Fairy Tales to Put Crocodiles to Sleep, Suddenly.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 10-17-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks for passing on info about filmmovement.com. Companies like that are extremely valuable.

Excellent review of the year, oscar. You've reminded me of films I have to see and others I have to see again.
    2003 was a huge year for film. Your posts say why. Great reference mats.

I see The Magdalene Sisters is claiming high status from you. I take it I should see it? I don't wanna have contempt for nuns! The Singing Nun is my dream woman!
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Kill Bill vol. 1 is conspicuously absent from your lists, oscar.

Lucy, you've got some 'splainin to do....
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Johann
    Thanks for passing on info about filmmovement.com.
    Pleasure. My fave of the film movement releases I've seen is the Moroccan film Ali Zaoua:Prince of the Streets. Don't miss if you come across it.

I see The Magdalene Sisters is claiming high status from you. I take it I should see it?
    Do. Hopefully you won't generalize contempt for the Magdalenes to all nuns. Al least not to the singing ones :)

My review is here: http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/show...=&threadid=632

Blurbs from crits:

Both a masterpiece and a holy hell (Slate)

The rare movie that turns cruelty into art (E.W.)

A grim and unmistakeable masterpiece of bleak, black sorrow (Austin Chron.)

Passionate and angry and rousing where you might expect it to become numbing and depressing (Seattle Post)

Lucy sez Kill Bill 1st Half gets an I for "Incomplete".