Hello!

I have been wanting to see this film for quite a while, but still have not gotten around to seeing it yet. I really like the other work of Morris that I have seen, and I have read many positive reviews and critiques (like the one in this forum) that only fuel my desire to run out and find a theatre that is screening it.

I do, however, want to bring up a point I found to be rather disturbing in his Oscar speech this year. What I am referring to that he thanked McNamara--but not for his participation in the film. If I remember correctly, he said something to the effect of "I'd like to thank Robert McNamara, because without his actions thirty years ago I never would have had a chance to make this film". Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but I took that to mean "I'd like to thank Robert McNamara for his participation in furthering the Vietnam War, because without all the death and brutality he and his administration caused, I wouldn't have been able to win this Oscar!".

Granted, I realize that Errol Morris is a peaceful man, and he did make an anti-war statement immediately after his thanking of McNamara, but it still kind of stunned me nonetheless. If he would have thanked him for his participation in the documentary, or for his bravery for coming out and speaking about his mistakes, that would have been fine. But thanking him for his decisions regarding the Vietnam War??!? What was that about? I understand this was a great documentary, and I'm glad that it was made. But the whole point is that it shouldn't HAVE to have been made in the first place!

Comments anyone?