I bought this movie (special longer version) on VHS last week for a dollar.
And damn if I haven't watched it ten times in a row!

GREAT film, with obvious influence from Kubrick's 2001 and Star Wars- the special effects are light years (pardon the pun) better than the 60's TV series.

The script might be weak, to be honest. They could've worked harder on writing a good script. But there are so many other aspects of the movie that kick ass that I kinda forgive the bad script. Example, the prolonged preparation of the Enterprise's launch- some really great special effects shots there. The opening shots as well are great SFX shots- Klingon ships advancing- really great shots. Epic even.

My Fashion Critic comments: I dig the costumes to a degree (Kirk's Admiral tunic is cool- white & gold), but the pastel colors are an odd choice and again, what is that thing on the midriffs of all Starfleet crew? The bold primary colors of the original show's uniforms were great, classic. Wish they stuck to that scheme.
But Spock's black ensemble in the scene where he boards the Enterprise (after her launch, and almost an hour into the film) is awesome.
That should've been his uniform all this time! :)

Great pains are taken to re-introduce the famous crew of the Enterprise. She has a new Captain, but Kirk takes her Command back due to the huge threat out there in space. Only James T. can stop that threat, Jack!

I say again, the special effects are Oscar worthy here. I agree with earlier comments in this thread that this Robert Wise directed "Motion Picture" is an overlooked Sci-Fi Classic. Sure, Wrath of Khan and First Contact get more recognition, but this one deserves more viewings and more respect. Lots to admire here.

But there is some ripe cheesiness:

Kirk winking at Chekhov?
I agree with Tabuno that the early scnes of Spock on Vulcan were kinda Ed Wood-ish.
Sulu's lame-brained line: "He wanted her back, he got her.."